Author Topic: These Nine States Will Vote on Legalizing Recreational and Medical Marijuana  (Read 4492 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
These Nine States Will Vote on Legalizing Recreational and Medical Marijuana

by Elizabeth Chuck

Nine states have marijuana measures on the ballot this November, and chances are good that many will pass — giving pot advocates high hopes that the federal government will eventually lift its nationwide ban.

In five states — Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada — voters will decide on legalizing the recreational use of marijuana.

In four others — Arkansas, Florida, Montana and North Dakota — voters will weigh in on medical marijuana, which is already legal in nearly half the country.

As Election Day approaches, polls and research show rising support for marijuana legalization: 57 percent of U.S. adults say marijuana should be made legal, compared to just 32 percent a decade ago, found a Pew study earlier this week.

Read More At: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/these-nine-states-will-vote-legalizing-recreational-medical-marijuana-n665771

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Reefer Madness, literally ...

Offline dfwgator

That's just what the United States needs:  Fewer brain cells.  /s

Great. More deadbeats the taxpayers can support.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

We (FL) just voted this down two years ago!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

geronl

I oppose it on any grounds, but it is a state matter for the most part.

geronl

:thumbsup:

I oppose it on any grounds, but it is a state matter for the most part.

I'm certainly not against it for true medicinal reasons.  But, IMO, the whole "medicinal reasons" is just a cover for recreational use.  Here in FL we have billboards advertising "pain clinics" (aka, pay a "doctor" to give you a perscription for hard drugs).  Why do we have to lie about it?

I'm not even against recreational use, though if you've got money for weed you don't need any government "assistance".

But I will once again vote "no", because I really don't believe there is a need for the word "marijuana" in our state constitution.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Wingnut

I agree wholeheartedly.....  BUT.....I did invest in a small company that makes hydroponic indoor growing kits, for herbs, tomatoes, what have you.  It seems to be thriving on the MJ angle for some reason.   :smokin:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Idiot

I saw one of those advertised a few years back that claimed it was for growing your own herbs.  I thought, "cool."  Dummy me.  Someone had to tell me what it was mostly used for.  LOL.  I was seriously thinking of buying it as a gift.  Glad someone told me.
They are mostly used for indoor gardens....no joke.  They are partly owned by Scott's Miracle Grow.  The MJ angle is a very recent phenomena.  People do give them as gifts, as you'll find on Amazon.  I've thought of giving them as gifts myself, but they are a bit pricey.  I'm just riding the stock wave until the election, then exiting.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)

The disaster is already happening and the far left is working overtime to either explain it away or to make it go away by lying about it. Many of their arguments are very similar to, "It's not even happening, and besides there a good explanation for it."

Of course it's happening. In Washington State there is a large and increasing problem of homeless young people migrating into the "sanctuary cities" where they can get a lot of benefits and free money from the state and local governments just by being homeless. Routine is for them to register as homeless, sleep in the park, eat at the local shelters, then cash their government checks, buy weed and lounge around all day at the parks without fear of being molested by the cops. Voila! A whole new generation of layabouts, goldbrickers and bums. The only difference from the legions of wasted humanity from the last century and these are that the drug-of-choice that kills their ambition to live like men instead of domestic animals has changed. Instead of being ruined by alcohol and tobacco, they are ruining themselves with THC, crack and Ecstasy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:36:14 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
I was never into Jimi Hendrix...but saw a documentary on him a couple of years ago.  The guy was simply an amazing guitar player.  Seems he did like his drugs, which is sad.  I've come to appreciate his music more and more over the years.
@Wingnut

Hendrix was infamous with studio musicians as being an uneven performer. His compositions and studio-work were often brilliant, but not always. He was so loaded all the time that sometimes his playing/songwriting suffered. There were numerous stories of people who went to see his live shows who got very bad performances. You just don't see them much because people want to be respectful and not post bad performances as much on YouTube, etc.

He died when he couldn't swallow some aspirin probably because he was loaded on too many Seconol - then choked on his own vomit and because there wasn't anyone around to notice that he needed help. That last thing has spawned conspiracy theories that he was murdered. I don't think he was - no motive, he was reportedly a nice guy without any enemies who'd want him dead.

Although I'm not so sure about Jim Morrison (whose father was a navy admiral who reportedly loathed what his son had become). Maybe daddy decided that if he brought his son into the world he could take him out.   Also Janis Joplin, who had reportedly been clean from heroin at the time of her supposed O.D., and was about to get married to a roadie she had fallen in love with. According to the word on the street, the dealer who had been supplying her was not happy with her "recovery" from heroin and killed her by injecting her with an overdose in revenge for her "abandoning" him.  The story goes that he offered to give her one last ride "on the house" - then injected pure, uncut heroin knowing that it would kill her. The detectives who investigated didn't really care because to them, she was just another hippie. So they called it an O.D. and left it at that.

The cops were probably right about one thing - the fact that her body was found with her nose broken was probably not suspicious - nor from a fight, but due to the fact that when people pass out from a heroin O.D., they sometimes keel over forward face-first onto the ground.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:05:20 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline mountaineer

I was talking to someone today about my considerable back pain and how the neurologist said there's no surgical option for what ails me. She said - furtively glancing from side to side - that she knew someone whose daughter had been prescribed "something" that I might not be very much in favor of, but ...   I said, "Marijuana?"

Yes, indeedy, that's exactly what she meant.

Well, I replied, I've never wanted anything that affected my cognition. My older brother was a druggie hippie freak and I despise him, and everything to do with drugs.

She said, no, this is just an oil and it doesn't make you high.

That's okay, I'll stick with the ibuprofen for now.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The disaster is already happening and the far left is working overtime to either explain it away or to make it go away by lying about it. Many of their arguments are very similar to, "It's not even happening, and besides there a good explanation for it."

Of course it's happening. In Washington State there is a large and increasing problem of homeless young people migrating into the "sanctuary cities" where they can get a lot of benefits and free money from the state and local governments just by being homeless. Routine is for them to register as homeless, sleep in the park, eat at the local shelters, then cash their government checks, buy weed and lounge around all day at the parks without fear of being molested by the cops. Voila! A whole new generation of layabouts, goldbrickers and bums. The only difference from the legions of wasted humanity from the last century and these are that the drug-of-choice that kills their ambition to live like men instead of domestic animals has changed. Instead of being ruined by alcohol and tobacco, they are ruining themselves with THC, crack and Ecstasy.
Really puts tobacco in perspective, imo.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

Not sure how its going in Colorado, but here in Washington if voters had another chance to vote, it would fail big time.  Its been an unadvertised disaster. I came back from a vacation in British Coumbia and the first billboard on the Washington side of the border was a big one advertizing a Marijuana store at the next exit. The first thing Canadian tourist get to see is a big 20 foot marijuana leaf. Just lovely.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Saw on the news today that mail ballots in Broward County (FL) left off Ammendment 2 (legalized "medicinal" marijuana).

Offline Smokin Joe

Not sure how its going in Colorado, but here in Washington if voters had another chance to vote, it would fail big time.  Its been an unadvertised disaster. I came back from a vacation in British Coumbia and the first billboard on the Washington side of the border was a big one advertizing a Marijuana store at the next exit. The first thing Canadian tourist get to see is a big 20 foot marijuana leaf. Just lovely.
Well, folks going north have been seeing a leaf up there for a long time (even if it's Maple).

I have a nephew in Colorado, who grows weed to keep him and his (widowed) mom afloat financially. From what I have heard: Only 50% of the weed there is legal and taxed, the rest goes through drug dealers just like the bad old days.
Petit property crime went through the roof, to the point that much of it wasn't even getting written up, saving the police for more serious stuff (felonies, homicides, and the like).
The Denver area has been pretty much invaded with stoners.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

I've read that it's not safe to drive in many Colorado cities: more impaired drivers since MJ was legalized.

By the way, I agree with what you said above, @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

I'm certainly not against it for true medicinal reasons.  But, IMO, the whole "medicinal reasons" is just a cover for recreational use.  Here in FL we have billboards advertising "pain clinics" (aka, pay a "doctor" to give you a perscription for hard drugs).  Why do we have to lie about it?

I'm not even against recreational use, though if you've got money for weed you don't need any government "assistance".

But I will once again vote "no", because I really don't believe there is a need for the word "marijuana" in our state constitution.
The "medical reason" was always a dodge, because the drug can taken in pill form. Some people just like smoking dope and found a legal way to acquire it.
BTW, I am anti recreational drug use (it is a cheating way of going through life) but am for legalization for adults.
If we allow alcohol, how can we ban certain drugs? The only way I will be for banning MJ or any "recreational" drug is if it proves to be a significant danger to the public at large.
But you say alcohol  has already proved to a significant danger. And I will agree with you. But if legalization of pot and other substances creates even more hazards, we might have to agree to ban some of the. Alcohol banning has already been tried and failed. Maybe banning pot would have the same results. Many people already think that. Time will tell. The states legalizing pot will be the laboratories.

Offline goatprairie

Hendrix was infamous with studio musicians as being an uneven performer. His compositions and studio-work were often brilliant, but not always. He was so loaded all the time that sometimes his playing/songwriting suffered. There were numerous stories of people who went to see his live shows who got very bad performances. You just don't see them much because people want to be respectful and not post bad performances as much on YouTube, etc.

He died when he couldn't swallow some aspirin probably because he was loaded on too many Seconol - then choked on his own vomit and because there wasn't anyone around to notice that he needed help. That last thing has spawned conspiracy theories that he was murdered. I don't think he was - no motive, he was reportedly a nice guy without any enemies who'd want him dead.

Although I'm not so sure about Jim Morrison (whose father was a navy admiral who reportedly loathed what his son had become). Maybe daddy decided that if he brought his son into the world he could take him out.   Also Janis Joplin, who had reportedly been clean from heroin at the time of her supposed O.D., and was about to get married to a roadie she had fallen in love with. According to the word on the street, the dealer who had been supplying her was not happy with her "recovery" from heroin and killed her by injecting her with an overdose in revenge for her "abandoning" him.  The story goes that he offered to give her one last ride "on the house" - then injected pure, uncut heroin knowing that it would kill her. The detectives who investigated didn't really care because to them, she was just another hippie. So they called it an O.D. and left it at that.

The cops were probably right about one thing - the fact that her body was found with her nose broken was probably not suspicious - nor from a fight, but due to the fact that when people pass out from a heroin O.D., they sometimes keel over forward face-first onto the ground.
Supposedly Hendrix beat his girl friends. Although one ex girl friend denies being beaten by him.
Never got into his music anyway. Nor Joplin. Liked a lot of the Doors.

Offline Smokin Joe

The "medical reason" was always a dodge, because the drug can taken in pill form. Some people just like smoking dope and found a legal way to acquire it.
BTW, I am anti recreational drug use (it is a cheating way of going through life) but am for legalization for adults.
If we allow alcohol, how can we ban certain drugs? The only way I will be for banning MJ or any "recreational" drug is if it proves to be a significant danger to the public at large.
But you say alcohol  has already proved to a significant danger. And I will agree with you. But if legalization of pot and other substances creates even more hazards, we might have to agree to ban some of the. Alcohol banning has already been tried and failed. Maybe banning pot would have the same results. Many people already think that. Time will tell. The states legalizing pot will be the laboratories.
A friend who had non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma said the pills (THC) were not only about 5 times as expensive as an effective dose of the plant, but were not as effective. That was back in the '90s FWIW.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Is drinking coffee a form of recreational drug use?