Author Topic: 5 ways to delete yourself from the internet  (Read 753 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
5 ways to delete yourself from the internet
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »
If you’re reading this, it’s highly likely your personal information is available to the public. And by “public” I mean everyone everywhere. And while you can never remove yourself completely from the internet, there are ways to minimize your online footprint. Here are five ways to do it.

Be warned however; removing your information from the internet, as I’ve laid it out below, may adversely affect your ability to communicate with potential employers.

1. Delete or deactivate your shopping, social network, and Web service accounts

Think about which social networks you have profiles on. Aside from the big ones, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, do you still have public accounts on sites like Tumblr, Google+ or even MySpace? What about your Reddit account? Which shopping sites have you registered on? Common ones might include information stored on Amazon, Gap.com, Macys.com and others.

To get rid of these accounts, go to your account settings and just look for an option to either deactivate, remove or close your account. Depending on the account, you may find it under Security or Privacy, or something similar.

If you’re having trouble with a particular account, try searching online for “How to delete,” followed by the name of the account you wish to delete. You should be able to find some instruction on how to delete that particular account.

If for some reason you can’t delete an account, change the info in the account to something other than your actual info. Something fake or completely random.

[excerpted]

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-ways-to-delete-yourself-from-the-internet/
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: 5 ways to delete yourself from the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:40:01 pm »
Nowadays, a person with no online presence is FAR more suspicious than one with a few minor indiscretions to their name.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:47 am »
Nowadays, a person with no online presence is FAR more suspicious than one with a few minor indiscretions to their name.

That's why you create a fictional doppelganger; a fictitious "persona" online that has just enough commonalities that it looks like it should be you, and yet, it isn't.  Ghost in the machine.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:02:35 am »
"That's why you create a fictional doppelganger; a fictitious "persona" online that has just enough commonalities that it looks like it should be you, and yet, it isn't.  Ghost in the machine."

Paging Roger O Thornhill -- please report to the nearest courtesy computer in the lobby. Mr. Kaplan requests that you answer his emails.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:12:32 am »
I am amazed that anyone thinks they have any privacy outside of  their personal thoughts.

At the same time I'm also  amazed that so many fall for the Internet scams. PT Barnum greatly underestimated the number of suckers being born daily...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:13:03 am by montanajoe »

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:31:16 am »
"5 Ways" makes me think of the old Paul Simon song, 50 ways to leave your lover, and the Muppets' Show version 50 ways to love your lever.