Author Topic: Pelosi: We'll win at least 25 House seats  (Read 1813 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi: We'll win at least 25 House seats
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »
October 19, 2016, 01:24 pm

By Mike Lillis

Less than three weeks from Election Day, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is predicting that House Democrats will pick up at least 25 seats at the polls.

Addressing reporters in the Capitol — a rare event during the long pre-election recess — the California liberal stopped short of saying the Democrats will win back control of the lower chamber. But her bold forecast — 25 seats is higher than most election handicappers anticipate — is some indication that Democratic leaders are confident Donald Trump's campaign will harm Republican incumbents down the ballot.

"We're in a good place," Pelosi said Wednesday. "I think we'll be within a single digit, either way."

With the Republicans boasting a 59-seat advantage, the Democrats would have to pick off at least 25 seats to meet Pelosi's forecast. To take the Speaker's gavel from Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), they’d need to flip 30.

The odds are stacked against them, not least because even the most vulnerable House Republicans have kept their races competitive — and kept the Democrats spending — in some cases by rejecting Trump's candidacy outright.

Also, as Charlie Cook of the Cook Political Report has pointed out, wave elections tend to happen almost exclusively in midterm election cycles. The last time a party picked up more than 25 seats in a presidential year was 1980.

But perhaps the most significant factor is the redrawing of House districts — largely by GOP-led state legislatures — following the 2010 Census. Those new lines, while securing scores of Democrats in safe blue districts, also favored the Republicans in terms of underlying numbers.

Pelosi on Wednesday acknowledged that the district lines are a challenge, but not, she said, an impossible one.

"It's an obstacle but not insurmountable. ...  If you say that, then you've just surrendered to a very bleak future for children and other living things in our country," Pelosi said.

"You have to win so you can change a redistricting."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/301798-pelosi-well-win-at-least-25-house-seats
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Pelosi: We'll win at least 25 House seats
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
October 19, 2016, 01:24 pm

Maybe if we had ignored the liberals that demanded we elect liberal Republicans 'no matter what" that wouldn't be a concern. But the ever so brilliant know betters had to have their way.

Well, at least while they were there they helped give Obama full funding, arm terrorists and saddle America with a $20,000,000,000,000 debt in an act of lesser evil so there's that.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
Remember that Trump thinks Nancy is the greatest.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:53:37 pm »
   This women is delusional, now the Senate is another story, if it comes down to 1, expect a repeat of this.

or the time the senate shared power.

Thanks Trumpsters.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:07 pm »
   This women is delusional, now the Senate is another story, if it comes down to 1, expect a repeat of this.

or the time the senate shared power.

Thanks Trumpsters.

25 seats in the House is not a lot and will still have the GOP as the majority party. 

Furthermore, it's a Presidential election year.  That's the time in which the Democratic base comes out to vote (for some reason, they don't vote during non-Presidential elections).

Lastly, Trump is demotivating Republicans and actively telling his supporters to *NOT* vote for the GOP candidate down ballot.

So this is probably a reasonable number (hopefully less, though).

Offline rodamala

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:18:13 am »
If Jesus Christ Himself came back to Earth and ran for my local schoolboard as a Republican, I woundn't vote for him.

I am never voting for a Republican again.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:15:15 pm »
Considering all 435 of them are up for grabs, winning just 25 of them should be easy in this environment. :tongue2:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
25 seats in the House is not a lot and will still have the GOP as the majority party. 

Furthermore, it's a Presidential election year.  That's the time in which the Democratic base comes out to vote (for some reason, they don't vote during non-Presidential elections).

Lastly, Trump is demotivating Republicans and actively telling his supporters to *NOT* vote for the GOP candidate down ballot.

So this is probably a reasonable number (hopefully less, though).

??? Losing 25 House seats is not a lot??  Considering Hillary will be our next president and we will likely lose the majority in the Senate, 25 House seats is considerable.  The reality is that within 2 years we will never see another GOP member win an election for several decades is really disheartening and downright frightening. What the heck have you been smokin' anyways??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »
??? Losing 25 House seats is not a lot??  Considering Hillary will be our next president and we will likely lose the majority in the Senate, 25 House seats is considerable.  The reality is that within 2 years we will never see another GOP member win an election for several decades is really disheartening and downright frightening. What the heck have you been smokin' anyways??

The GOP controls 247 House seats out of 435 total.

247 - 25 = 222 House seats

The GOP must have at least 218 to be the majority party.

Are you saying that 222 is less than 218?

Furthermore, she's likely padding the number a bit.

I'd hazard we'll have around 225-230.

Which, it seems, is a cause for your panic.

Strange.

---

But Trump wants you to panic.  What's you to lose the ability for calm, rational thought.  For if you actually think through anything he says... you'll find them to either repudiate the foundations of America itself, to be violations of the Constitution, or simply be unworkable from a financial standpoint.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:33:05 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:34:46 pm »
The GOP controls 247 House seats out of 435 total.

247 - 25 = 222 House seats

The GOP must have at least 218 to be the majority party.

Are you saying that 222 is less than 218?

Furthermore, she's likely padding the number a bit.

I'd hazard we'll have around 225-230.

Which, it seems, is a cause for your panic.

Strange.

Obviously you need a dose of reality.  If Hillary takes the oval office and she more than likely will and we more than likely will lose the Senate at the same time, pease explain to me in your infinite non-panic wisdom, who exactly is going to keep her from tilting the SCOTUS to the left and who is going to keep her from granting amnesty and packing this country full of Muslims (terrorists)??  Once those new DEM voters which will increase their voting electorate by several million are registered, exactly how do you think another GOP member is going to win any contest, be it the Senate, House, governorship, State senate or State House, etc.?? 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 09:14:30 pm »
Obviously you need a dose of reality.  If Hillary takes the oval office and she more than likely will and we more than likely will lose the Senate at the same time, pease explain to me in your infinite non-panic wisdom, who exactly is going to keep her from tilting the SCOTUS to the left and who is going to keep her from granting amnesty and packing this country full of Muslims (terrorists)??  Once those new DEM voters which will increase their voting electorate by several million are registered, exactly how do you think another GOP member is going to win any contest, be it the Senate, House, governorship, State senate or State House, etc.??

Think!

How would a Republican Senate stop her from replacing Supreme Court justices as they retire... in the first place!

(Your claim is a non sequitur, an invalid argument.  And thinking that they can just sit on their butts and not vet any candidate is bunk.  It's a dereliction of a Senator's duties, which is grounds for recall.  They can do it now because of the election, but not for four years.)

This is the consequence of picking a poor candidate in the primary.  This issue was brought up then and was dismissed by Trump supporters as a non-issue.  Trump supporters cannot claim it now.

---

Amnesty is coming, no matter what or who you choose.  The bulk of the populace in America will not countenance the deportation of 14 million, nor will they want to pay for it.  (the last polls I saw were about 60% for a path to citizenship)

Even if we do nothing, the illegals will become US citizens.  For their children, borne in the US, are citizens.  And they can file to grant their direct relations US citizenship.

---

Packing the US with Muslims?  Ha, that's a panic button and not the issue you think it is.  Heck, with Putin doing his thing in Syria, that nation might just be reunified come inauguration day, making the whole "Syrian refugee" issue moot.

Futhermore, how *dare* you denigate a keystone of America itself!

The Statue of Liberty has a plaque on it that best sums it up:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

You would toss that into the trash because of a religion!  It's sickos like that who turned away the St. Louis and condemned 937 Jews to the Nazi ovens.  The reason given then was that there might have been Nazi agents in the mix. 

Now its 2016, and it's Muslims that we've got to keep out because... "Terrorists!"

---

And how do I think the GOP can win elections in the future?  The same way political parties have always gone about getting voters to vote for them.  By convincing people about their party's benefits. 

In the case of conservatism, it's economic message is very appealing, provided you don't scream about how much you hate the people you are trying to attract.  Social issues can work as long as the "Christ only" message ends and we go with something like "universal values".  For these values aren't Christian specific, but selling it as such makes it seem as if the message is more about proselytizing than winning votes.

Asians, in particular, were trending to the GOP for that economic reason.  That is, until the GOP turned away from it's "equal opportunity to strive for success for all" and morphed into a "We hate furreigners! We want government bennies for our voters!  Everyone else... 'eff' you!"... ie: around 2010.

Furthermore, Texas showed this works for Hispanics.  At least, until Trump and his supporters decided to spit in their eyes.  I expect to see a collapse of the Hispanic vote in Texas for the GOP because of it.

In essence, Trump and his ilk have destroyed our chances of getting the votes you're asking about.  So, no, Trump supporters don't get to raise the question on an issue they exacerbated.

---

The GOP voterbase is shrinking as the demographics of America change.  Age is killing off the baby boomers, who make up the largest GOP voter bloc.  Unless you get replacements, *nothing* will stop this party from dying.

And in this election cycle, Trump supporters have managed to alienate *EVERY SINGLE VOTING BLOC* outside the one that is dying out!  Your solution is to just restrict voting rights, for pete's sake!  GOP state lawmakers have been caught on video bragging about it regarding some voter registration laws!

All that does is alienate *MORE* voters as ours continue to die off.

---
Thought you guys might like to take a read:

@Luis Gonzalez
@Oceander
@NavyCanDo
@Once-Ler
@sinkspur
@kevindavis
@AbaraXas
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:29:09 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 09:27:37 pm »
Think!

How would a Republican Senate stop her from replacing Supreme Court justices as they retire... in the first place!

(Your claim is a non sequitur, an invalid argument.  And thinking that they can just sit on their butts and not vet any candidate is bunk.  It's a dereliction of a Senator's duties, which is grounds for recall.  They can do it now because of the election, but not for four years.)

This is the consequence of picking a poor candidate in the primary.  This issue was brought up then and was dismissed by Trump supporters as a non-issue.  Trump supporters cannot claim it now.

---

Amnesty is coming, no matter what or who you choose.  The bulk of the populace in America will not countenance the deportation of 14 million, nor will they want to pay for it.  (the last polls I saw were about 60% for a path to citizenship)

Even if we do nothing, the illegals will become US citizens.  For their children, borne in the US, are citizens.  And they can file to grant their direct relations US citizenship.

---

Packing the US with Muslims?  Ha, that's a panic button and not the issue you think it is.  Heck, with Putin doing his thing in Syria, that nation might just be reunified come inauguration day, making the whole "Syrian refugee" issue moot.

Futhermore, how *dare* you denigate a keystone of America itself!

The Statue of Liberty has a plaque on it that best sums it up:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

You would toss that into the trash because of a religion!  It's sickos like that who turned away the St. Louis and condemned 937 Jews to the Nazi ovens.  The reason given then was that there might have been Nazi agents in the mix. 

Now its 2016, and it's Muslims that we've got to keep out because... "Terrorists!"

---

And how do I think the GOP can win elections in the future?  The same way political parties have always gone about getting voters to vote for them.  By convincing people about their party's benefits. 

In the case of conservatism, it's economic message is very appealing, provided you don't scream about how much you hate the people you are trying to attract.  Social issues can work as long as the "Christ only" message ends and we go with something like "universal values".  For these values aren't Christian specific, but selling it as such makes it seem as if the message is more about proselytizing than winning votes.

Asians, in particular, were trending to the GOP for that economic reason.  That is, until the GOP turned away from it's "equal opportunity to strive for success for all" and morphed into a "We hate furreigners! We want government bennies for our voters!  Everyone else... 'eff' you!"... ie: around 2010.

Furthermore, Texas showed this works for Hispanics.  At least, until Trump and his supporters decided to spit in their eyes.  I expect to see a collapse of the Hispanic vote in Texas for the GOP because of it.

In essence, Trump and his ilk have destroyed our chances of getting the votes you're asking about.  So, no, Trump supporters don't get to raise the question on an issue they exacerbated.

Well heck, you may as well throw down the welcome mat for Hillary! Trump hijacked the GOP and halted the conservative movement and I have little doubt that he did so by design.  By the sheer number of DEMS the GOP won't win another election.  The message of Christ and Christianity needs to continue; our country was found upon CHRISTIAN beliefs.  In now way am I proposing to eliminate religious freedom, but I most definitely am proposing to eliminate inviting terrorists into this country.  To allow people into this country from areas where they want to kill Americans is absolute lunacy!!

It is the Senate that makes the final decision on the justice appointment.  It is the also the Senate by the way that has the final vote on impeachment.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »
@libertybele @HonestJohn

Viz the SC, saw an interesting analysis on redstate that pretty much blows away the "argument" that Trp will get to push the SC rightward.  Even assuming, against all the evidence, he really would try, since he's already wrecked the GOP he will have to make a deal with the democrats to get a nominee through, which all but guarantees that a nominee would be no more conservative than is Roberts.  Secondly, short of actual death or incapacitation, none of the current liberal justices is going to retire or leave the Court, so Trump would only have Scalias seat to fill as the rest would wait out Trump and wait for the next democrat president to fill their seats. 

In short, the claim that Trump will save the SC is an empty one, and the court will end up going leftward no matter who is elected this time. 

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 09:38:41 pm »
Well heck, you may as well throw down the welcome mat for Hillary! Trump hijacked the GOP and halted the conservative movement and I have little doubt that he did so by design.  By the sheer number of DEMS the GOP won't win another election.  The message of Christ and Christianity needs to continue; our country was found upon CHRISTIAN beliefs.  In now way am I proposing to eliminate religious freedom, but I most definitely am proposing to eliminate inviting terrorists into this country.  To allow people into this country from areas where they want to kill Americans is absolute lunacy!!

It is the Senate that makes the final decision on the justice appointment.  It is the also the Senate by the way that has the final vote on impeachment.

Most of your post is bunkum.

As long as the GOP doesn't fight for the votes of all Americans, it cedes those they do not reach for to the Democrats.  You would continue that and claim "Oh, woe is me!"

You don't get to complain about a situation you create!

And this nation was not founded on Christian beliefs alone.  Our Founding Fathers were Freemasons, who follow a Deist concept.  So your notion isn't even American!

Further, I highly doubt you screamed so loudly about Russian defectors in the Cold War, despite them being from territories that 'wanted to kill us'.  So this is bull.  It's about religion for you (see above).

And Senators are subject to recall from their states if they fail to do their job as outlined by the Constitution.  Care to guess how long it'll take before recall petitions are circulating for all GOP Senators trying to stonewall Supreme Court nominations for four years?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:39:01 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 09:49:05 pm »
@libertybele @HonestJohn

Viz the SC, saw an interesting analysis on redstate that pretty much blows away the "argument" that Trp will get to push the SC rightward.  Even assuming, against all the evidence, he really would try, since he's already wrecked the GOP he will have to make a deal with the democrats to get a nominee through, which all but guarantees that a nominee would be no more conservative than is Roberts.  Secondly, short of actual death or incapacitation, none of the current liberal justices is going to retire or leave the Court, so Trump would only have Scalias seat to fill as the rest would wait out Trump and wait for the next democrat president to fill their seats. 

In short, the claim that Trump will save the SC is an empty one, and the court will end up going leftward no matter who is elected this time.

I disagree.  In the scenario that the GOP maintains the majority in the Senate (though highly unlikely), I believe Trump would be able to push through a conservative justice and the pressure would be on him to do so. The problem of course arises should the GOP lose the majority in the Senate then yes, Trump will have a problem getting a conservative justice. 

That is why I have stated many times; IMHO its not so much about who we elect as president, but more so, if we are able to keep the majority in the Senate.

Yes, agreed, Trump has had a negative impact on those down ballot and certainly the DEMS have a distinct advantage by taking the majority of the Senate.  By 2018, they will more than likely control the House as well. 

All those Trump supporters didn't look at the whole picture ... they glorified their Orange monkey and bought into his hype.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:20:07 pm »
I disagree.  In the scenario that the GOP maintains the majority in the Senate (though highly unlikely), I believe Trump would be able to push through a conservative justice and the pressure would be on him to do so. The problem of course arises should the GOP lose the majority in the Senate then yes, Trump will have a problem getting a conservative justice. 

That is why I have stated many times; IMHO its not so much about who we elect as president, but more so, if we are able to keep the majority in the Senate.

Yes, agreed, Trump has had a negative impact on those down ballot and certainly the DEMS have a distinct advantage by taking the majority of the Senate.  By 2018, they will more than likely control the House as well. 

All those Trump supporters didn't look at the whole picture ... they glorified their Orange monkey and bought into his hype.

I'll see if I can find the link.  I doubt very seriously that Trump wants to push through anyone who is even mildly conservative and I doubt he would have the ability even if he had the desire.