Author Topic: Prayer Thread  (Read 24766 times)

Online Smokin Joe

Re: Prayer Thread
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
When it rains it pours. I was talking to my mother the other day and she filled me in. MY mother is the oldest the Second oldest has come down with Liver cancer. His wife wife has come down with Lung Cancer. The next oldest brother has kidney failure and is refusing to got for dialysis. His oldest daughter (2 months younger than me) had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), mini stroke. She has been recovering slowly. The next oldest sister was in the hospital with bleeding from her rectum. They got that under control and cauterized a vein.
Please pray for them and my mother. After my sisters death last year she has been emotionally fragile.
You all have my prayers.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression
And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Nehemiah 4:14 (KJV)

About the only "Big" Liberals don't revile is "Big Government"

Offline Freya

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
When it rains it pours. I was talking to my mother the other day and she filled me in. MY mother is the oldest the Second oldest has come down with Liver cancer. His wife wife has come down with Lung Cancer. The next oldest brother has kidney failure and is refusing to got for dialysis. His oldest daughter (2 months younger than me) had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), mini stroke. She has been recovering slowly. The next oldest sister was in the hospital with bleeding from her rectum. They got that under control and cauterized a vein.
Please pray for them and my mother. After my sisters death last year she has been emotionally fragile.

@verga my friend of course.  :0001:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter

Offline Sanguine

« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2019, 09:59:17 AM »

That's a heavy load.  Prayers to you and yours.
Cui bono?

Walk in Wisdom
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Prayers up @verga

Online austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
Prayers for you and yours @verga
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Applewood

« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »
@verga

You, your mother and family are in my prayers.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:50 AM »
Please pray for my brother Ron, age 66. His alcoholism is at a critical point: with two pending DUIs, he was arrested and jailed Friday for failure to appear on one of the cases. My sister and I are at our wits' end. He's had near-death experiences, detox, rehab, and still he drinks.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline Sanguine

« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
Please pray for my brother Ron, age 66. His alcoholism is at a critical point: with two pending DUIs, he was arrested and jailed Friday for failure to appear on one of the cases. My sister and I are at our wits' end. He's had near-death experiences, detox, rehab, and still he drinks.

You've got it, @mountaineer.  That's got to be so hard on you and your sister.
Cui bono?

Walk in Wisdom
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
You've got it.  That's got to be so hard on you and your sister.
She's been renting him a nice little house the next street up from hers and her husband's. He's completely trashed it. She sent me photos yesterday - you can't even walk through the living room because of all the empty beer cans (the worst of it is that he drinks that Coors Light crap!  :laugh:). She said there were stacks of unpaid bills, too. They are exhausted.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »

@mountaineer

Sadly,alcoholism is a genetic disease,and there is no "magic pill" you can take to free yourself from it's clutches. I am one of the lucky ones that could drink to oblivion,and then eventually come up for air and go off and do other things and never once crave another drink. Given that I have Indian blood,I am lucky beyond belief. One day it just quit being fun,and I haven't been drunk since. I don't even drink socially. I never did. I drank to get drunk. I occasionally have a cold beer after working out in the hot sun,but I have no trouble stopping at one bottle.

You can bet your bippy there are thousands of scientists working hard every day to discover a "magic pill" for drug addiction,though. If he or she  is ever successful and plays their cards right,they will have enough money to hire mere billionaires as their gardeners and drivers.

In the meantime,as faulty as it is,the only things that even work partially are AA and the self-hypnosis of prayer. It doesn't make a damn if nobody else in the whole world believes in the power of prayer or not,as long as YOU believe in it. I have never known an alcoholic,and I am related to more than a few,that was ever successful at stopping their drinking that didn't go though AA.

Whatever it takes,including a judicial order,have your brother temporarily put in an asylum so he can dry out and maybe get into AA to a point where it means something to him. You will get NOWHERE trying to convince him that he needs to stop because of the damage he is doing to his family. Addiction doesn't give a damn about anyone but itself,and it's addiction that is in charge of him right now.

His options are either to gain control over it with help,or die. There are no other options.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:27:29 AM by sneakypete »
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This post has been approved by Mod 3 or you wouldn't be seeing it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
Whatever it takes,including a judicial order,have your brother temporarily put in an asylum so he can dry out and maybe get into AA to a point where it means something to him. You will get NOWHERE trying to convince him that he needs to stop because of the damage he is doing to his family. Addiction doesn't give a damn about anyone but itself,and it's addiction that is in charge of him right now.

His options are either to gain control over it with help,or die. There are no other options.
You're right. Curiously, the only other alcoholic in our family (that I know of) was a great-aunt, but my other brother has a history of drug-abuse, so maybe the two of them had the addictive trait. It's a mystery.

My sister has been trying to convince the various hospitals, social workers, etc., that have seen him that he is a danger to himself and has to be committed for his own safety (not to mention other people out on the roads), but all they do is give him a list of treatment options and tell him to give someone a call if he feels like he needs help. Good grief. I don't think Pennsylvania law is in our favor on this one.

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »

My sister has been trying to convince the various hospitals, social workers, etc., that have seen him that he is a danger to himself and has to be committed for his own safety (not to mention other people out on the roads), but all they do is give him a list of treatment options and tell him to give someone a call if he feels like he needs help. Good grief. I don't think Pennsylvania law is in our favor on this one.

@mountaineer

A waste of time. They don't even have the authority to do so even if they wanted to,and could be sued if they tried.

You,your sister,and anyone/everyone else in your family that you can enlist need to show up at his next court appearance for drunk driving,drunk in public,etc,etc,etc,and petition the court to incarcerate  him in some rehab facility. Or just put his ass in prison or jail,and include mandatory AA meetings as a part of the sentence.

This is serious life and death stuff for both your brother and anyone he might kill accidentally while driving,so half-steps are out of order at this point,just like HE is out of order at this point.

I hate to say this,but having known/been related to a bunch of alcoholic weasels,there is NOTHING they love better than blaming everyone else for their drinking and other troubles because they will NOT accept ANY responsibility for their actions until they take rehab seriously. NOT drinking is their biggest nightmare,so there is no way in HELL a still-drinking drunk is EVER going to accept any part of the fault is his or hers. I even caught a cousin I gave shelter to one night drinking my aftershave lotion for the alcohol in it.

They will never admit it,but the REASON they drink to oblivion is to try to forget their problems,so why would they want to quit drinking? In FACT,you are their enemy for even suggesting such a thing.

Drunks and other addicts are the most selfish creatures on Earth no matter how nice they were before they started self-medicating with alcohol or other drugs. Once they become addicts it is the ADDICTION that is in charge,not them,and the addiction is a selfish bitch that doesn't believe in power-sharing.

The good news is that IF they can sober up and get with and stay with a program like AA,their original personalities will be able to come out of hiding again. Until that happens you simply can't take their word for anything.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:56:23 AM by sneakypete »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
You,your sister,and anyone/everyone else in your family that you can enlist need to show up at his next court appearance for drunk driving,drunk in public,etc,etc,etc,and petition the court to incarcerate  him in some rehab facility. Or just put his ass in prison or jail,and include mandatory AA meetings as a part of the sentence.
She and I were talking about that very thing, i.e., attending his next hearing and asking to be heard or, at the very least, trying to convince his atty to have him plead guilty. I believe treatment is part of the sentence, under Pa. law.

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
She and I were talking about that very thing, i.e., attending his next hearing and asking to be heard or, at the very least, trying to convince his atty to have him plead guilty. I believe treatment is part of the sentence, under Pa. law.

@mountaineer

STAY AWAY FROM HIS ATTORNEY! Don't even WHISPER about what you are planning if he is in the same building. He has been hired to represent your brother and get him set free,not to have him treated. Chances are the first thing he would do would be to file an injunction to keeping you from addressing the court.

If necessary,find your own lawyer and have him named as your family lawyer,and have HIM address the judge and tell the judge that the family of the prisoner  wants to address the court. Since that would be his only duty,it couldn't cost very much. If you don't do that,chances are your brother's lawyer will object when you try to speak,and shut you down.

Maybe get in contact with your local AA organization to get a lawyer reference. You might even get one for free. Lawyers ain't immune to addiction,either.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:06:04 PM by sneakypete »

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
Your family would be doing him a favor, by ending the housing. Stop enabling him.

You and your sister might try Alanon. Take care of yourselves.

He nows all about the available resources.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »
You have my prayers, for your brother and all family and friends.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression
And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Nehemiah 4:14 (KJV)

About the only "Big" Liberals don't revile is "Big Government"

Online mountaineer

« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »
Your family would be doing him a favor, by ending the housing. Stop enabling him.
It isn't exactly enabling. He was paying rent, just like any tenant. However, they've already told him to be out by the end of the month and are starting eviction proceedings.

Offline Freya

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »

Yes I’ll pray

Have you gone to Al anon and AA for any questions or help?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter

Online mountaineer

« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »
No, @Freya. We haven't gone that route. My mother, who died in 2014, went to Al-Anon and completely ignored whatever they had to say about not enabling him. She'd come home from a meeting and promptly send him a check for several hundred dollars (by then, he had lost his good-paying job because of his drinking). I told her she was only buying his beer, that she may as well fill up the trunk of her car with cases of Coors Light and personally deliver them to him, but she wouldn't listen.  **nononono*

Anyway, thanks for the prayers and suggestions, all.

Offline verga

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »
Will do.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf