Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 36510 times)

Online Elderberry

Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
Family tree of 400 million people shows genetics has limited influence on longevity

Genetics Society of America by Sarah Bay 11/6/2018

Although long life tends to run in families, genetics has far less influence on life span than previously estimated, according to a new analysis published in GENETICS.  Ruby et al. used a data set of over 400 million historical persons obtained from public pedigrees on Ancestry.com to estimate the heritability of life span, finding it to be well below 10%.

“We can potentially learn many things about the biology of aging from human genetics, but if the heritability of life span is low it tempers our expectations about what types of things we can learn and how easy it will be,” says lead author Graham Ruby (Calico Life Sciences). “It helps contextualize the questions that scientists studying aging can effectively ask.”

Calico Life Sciences is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the fundamental science of aging. So how did Calico get involved with Ancestry, the online genealogy resource?

“We wanted to get a sense for the contribution of genetics to life span, and that’s something you can study using pedigrees,” says Ruby. With millions of members, Ancestry has no shortage of pedigrees.

Fortuitously, researchers at Calico and Ancestry were connected from their time in academic basic research. Calico’s Chief Scientific Officer David Botstein and Ancestry’s Chief Scientific Officer Catherine Ball (senior author on the GENETICS paper) both have backgrounds in yeast research. They were involved in the Saccharomyces Genome Database project during their times at Stanford University and published a number of papers together.

So researchers from both companies teamed up to use publicly available pedigree data from Ancestry.com to approach the problem of figuring out the genetic contributions to human longevity.

“Partnering with Ancestry allowed this new study to gain deeper insights by using a much larger data set than any previous studies of longevity,” says Ball.

More: http://genestogenomes.org/family-tree/
He who makes an attempt to enslave me, thereby puts himself into a state of war with me.

Offline kevindavis

« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
I don't know if any has tried this site yet or not, check out MyHeritage it is a decent site.

Also, I met someone from Germany (Baden-Württemberg) who is a distant relative of mine.
"Last but not least, I was a Republican, a Reagan Republican. Still am. Not a Tea Party Republican. Not a Breitbart Republican. Not a talk radio or Fox News Republican. Not an isolationist, protectionist, immigrant-bashing, scapegoating, get-nothing-useful-done Republican. Not, as I am often dismissed by self-declared "real" conservatives, a RINO, Republican in Name Only. I'm a Reagan Republican, a proponent of lower taxes, less government, free markets, free trade, defense readiness, and democratic internationalism."
John McCain

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »
I don't know if any has tried this site yet or not, check out MyHeritage it is a decent site.

Also, I met someone from Germany (Baden-Württemberg) who is a distant relative of mine.

I have an account there but find the site too hard to navigate. Much prefer Ancestry or Family Search.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #303 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
I have an account there but find the site too hard to navigate. Much prefer Ancestry or Family Search.

I'm upset with MyHeritage for including a small slice of Neanderthal in my genealogical background.

Offline kevindavis

« Reply #304 on: November 22, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »

I understand what you mean, but I like the SmartMatch feature they have.
"Last but not least, I was a Republican, a Reagan Republican. Still am. Not a Tea Party Republican. Not a Breitbart Republican. Not a talk radio or Fox News Republican. Not an isolationist, protectionist, immigrant-bashing, scapegoating, get-nothing-useful-done Republican. Not, as I am often dismissed by self-declared "real" conservatives, a RINO, Republican in Name Only. I'm a Reagan Republican, a proponent of lower taxes, less government, free markets, free trade, defense readiness, and democratic internationalism."
John McCain

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
Twins get some 'mystifying' results when they put 5 DNA ancestry kits to the test

Chief geneticist at a popular ancestry company admits it's 'kind of a science and an art'

Charlsie Agro, Luke Denne · CBC News · Posted: Jan 18, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: January 18

snip

One set of identical twins, two different ancestry profiles.
At least that's the suggestion from one of the world's largest ancestry DNA testing companies.
Last spring, Marketplace host Charlsie Agro and her twin sister, Carly, bought home kits from AncestryDNA, MyHeritage, 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA and Living DNA, and mailed samples of their DNA to each company for analysis.

snip

My sister and I have considered this for awhile. My results from two compnies. My mother and her, with Ancestry.

Anyway this article hints at the answer; the origin redictions, are subject to several variables, not the least of which is it id fairly new science.

One company I tested with is "Living DNA," a British-centric firm. To them most everything is British.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
Twins get some 'mystifying' results when they put 5 DNA ancestry kits to the test

Chief geneticist at a popular ancestry company admits it's 'kind of a science and an art'

Charlsie Agro, Luke Denne · CBC News · Posted: Jan 18, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: January 18

snip

One set of identical twins, two different ancestry profiles.
At least that's the suggestion from one of the world's largest ancestry DNA testing companies.
Last spring, Marketplace host Charlsie Agro and her twin sister, Carly, bought home kits from AncestryDNA, MyHeritage, 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA and Living DNA, and mailed samples of their DNA to each company for analysis.

snip

My sister and I have considered this for awhile. My results from two compnies. My mother and her, with Ancestry.

Anyway this article hints at the answer; the origin redictions, are subject to several variables, not the least of which is it id fairly new science.

One company I tested with is "Living DNA," a British-centric firm. To them most everything is British.
Link, please? I'd like to read the whole thing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression
And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Nehemiah 4:14 (KJV)

About the only "Big" Liberals don't revile is "Big Government"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf