Author Topic: Now It’s Racist If Landlords Refuse To Rent To Felons  (Read 2665 times)

rangerrebew

Now It’s Racist If Landlords Refuse To Rent To Felons
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:59:39 am »
Now It’s Racist If Landlords Refuse To Rent To Felons

October 18, 2016| by Brian Anderson

In a world where everything is racist, except those racist things liberals and blacks do, it stands to reason that something that has nothing to do with race is racism. In Washington State the Attorney General’s office is trying to bully landlords who won’t rent to felons, saying it is a racist practice.

KIRO reports that Todd Herman of the Attorney General’s Civil Rights Unit has served a consent decree on a property management company in Tacoma. If you don’t know what a consent decree is, it’s basically an offer of a settlement as in a lawsuit. The thing is, this management company hasn’t been sued nor have they broken any laws. As you will soon see, this is crazy as hell for the AG’s office to offer a settlement when the company has done nothing wrong.

http://downtrend.com/71superb/now-its-racist-if-landlords-refuse-to-rent-to-felons
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:00:22 pm by rangerrebew »

geronl

Re: Now It’s Racist If Landlords Refuse To Rent To Felons
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »
we all knew this was coming, there is a move to ban criminal background checks in employment

imagine banks having to hire bank robbers and such

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »
Why the outrage? Are convicted felons who have served their time and been released not American citizens,who SHOULD have the same rights as the rest of us?

We expect them to get jobs and become productive tax-paying citizens instead of going back to a life of crime,but if they are going to do this they need to have jobs and a place to live.

It wasn't all that long ago that a felon leaving prison after having served the time was given their guns back. Even bank robbers and train robbers.

Some convicted felons even went on to become sheriff's or Marshals after being released from prison.

The simple solution to them committing more crimes after being released is to lock their asses up again for the new crimes,but if you believe in America,you can NOT continue to punish these people for crimes they committed in the past and who were convicted and served their time for these crimes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:07:55 pm »
we all knew this was coming, there is a move to ban criminal background checks in employment

@geronl

What's the problem? Is there some sort of law I don't know about that forbids prosecuting former bank robbers for robbing a bank again after they have been released from prison?

There is one thing that is an absolute fact,and that is that people who are not in prison need money to eat,house,and clothe themselves. How do you think they are going to get this money if nobody will hire them?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:09:41 pm »
Worst people I ever rented too were Parolees and Convicts. Worst than prostitutes and active drug dealers.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »

The ultimate goal is to dissuade private citizens from being landlords so the government takes over housing.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
So basically they're admitting that blacks and latinos are most likely to be felons.

Who is being racist here?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 03:16:11 pm »
So basically they're admitting that blacks and latinos are most likely to be felons.

Yeah, I didn't think Felon was a race either. If it is, does it have it's own culture? Sacred rights of felon culture like looting the Kwiki mart on the blue moon and a such. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 03:22:45 pm »
It seems to the focus of the lawsuit was that the landlord said upfront he wouldn't rent to felons.

If there's one thing people should have learned by now, is that you NEVER say upfront what you are going to exclude.    Just simply rent to the qualified applicant, and when pressed simply state they were the most qualified.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »
Worst people I ever rented too were Parolees and Convicts. Worst than prostitutes and active drug dealers.

@Frank Cannon

You pays your money,and you takes your chances.

Any property owner that rents or leases property either needs to be able to deal with the normal problems associated with that type of activity,or sell off their property and invest their money in some field more acceptable to them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 03:45:49 pm »

@dfwgator

In  a left-handed sort of way. What they are really doing is using racism as a "hook" to sink their teeth into some more federal money as well as potential law suit money.

What they care about is money. Anything else is just justification and background noise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 03:47:08 pm »
The only people the left wants to exclude all the time are Christians.  The left finds them intolerable.

@RAT Patrol

Of course they do. There is nothing the left hates worse than competition,and leftism is nothing more than another religion competing for dollars and power.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 03:47:23 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Any property owner that rents or leases property either needs to be able to deal with the normal problems associated with that type of activity,or sell off their property and invest their money in some field more acceptable to them.

The days of the mom-and-pop landlord are coming to an end.  Rental properties are now purchased in bulk,   mainly by offshore investors from China.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:47:41 pm by dfwgator »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »
@dfwgator

In  a left-handed sort of way. What they are really doing is using racism as a "hook" to sink their teeth into some more federal money as well as potential law suit money.

What they care about is money. Anything else is just justification and background noise.
The love of money is the root of all evil. Follow the money; works every time.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »
Well then make them also offer truth in advertising:  APARTMENTS FOR RENT.  RAPISTS AND MURDERERS WELCOME.

See how that sells.

How about a sign saying "Apartments for rent,tenants needed"?

When you put your stuff out for rent to the public,you have to take whatever segment of the public that shows up to rent it. Don't like that,don't become a landlord.

Besides,HOW do you YOU know that the non-convicted criminal you just rented to doesn't end up raping your dog and eating your baby? Do you have some sort of crystal ball that enables you to predict the future?

Would it be ok with you if someone put up a sign that read "Apartments for Rent,No Christians allowed"?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »
My apartment complex won't rent to smokers. I see people who want to smoke use to smoke on their balconies, now that's not allowed. Now they have to go into their cars, or they vape.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 03:59:07 pm »
The days of the mom-and-pop landlord are coming to an end.  Rental properties are now purchased in bulk,   mainly by offshore investors from China.

@dfwgator

I'm with ya on this one. That was the plan from the beginning.

There is no shortage of working class people that we all know that are content with the money they bring home from work each week,but if you EVER meet a billionaire that is content with his or her billions,that will be the first time in the history of the world that such a creature has been identified.

They want nothing less than to own it ALL,and they bought our political system to aid them in their quest. You can bet your ass that once all property is in the hands of just a few private corporations that they WILL rent to ONLY the people they want to rent to,and you will find yourself bleeding in a gutter while waiting for the police to arrest you for disturbing the peace if you complain. LOTS of minorities will be living in dumpsters and huts in the parks,and it will be the people that voted them into office that will be responsible for it.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »
How about a sign saying "Apartments for rent,tenants needed"?

When you put your stuff out for rent to the public,you have to take whatever segment of the public that shows up to rent it. Don't like that,don't become a landlord.

Besides,HOW do you YOU know that the non-convicted criminal you just rented to doesn't end up raping your dog and eating your baby? Do you have some sort of crystal ball that enables you to predict the future?

Would it be ok with you if someone put up a sign that read "Apartments for Rent,No Christians allowed"?

Anyone who wants to be a landlord should watch "Pacific Heights" and see if they still want to be a landlord after watching it.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 04:10:05 pm »
At this point I think anyone thinking of renting an apartment had better read this thread first.

We own a few rental properties,  but we've noticed it's getting harder and harder to find good deals,  as soon as something hits the market, it gets scooped up by somebody offering cash, sight unseen.

My best advice,  use a realtor to get tenants,   it will save you money in the long-run, trust me on this.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 04:28:49 pm »

I own an upscale apartment building..I do background and credit checks along with a 3 page application..

I require a min 680 credit score..that weeds out most crap renters.

My average renter has lived in my buildings 4-5 years

My best renters by far are senior citizens and gay people.  Next best are young college grad couples married or not -professional types.

Absolute worst ones that give me nightmares are young single women-had problems with nearly every one I rented an apartment to. 

Surprisingly young single men are not bad renters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »
It is not an issue of pre-crime.  Yes sometimes you rent to a bad guy by accident.  If a guy was just released from prison for raping 15 women and your apartment is right next to a college, you'd be a fool to rent to him.<<

@RAT Patrol

Once  again people are asking the wrong questions and arguing the wrong points,and still surprised when nothing changes.

The question YOU and other like you need to ask first is "WHY is a violent multiple rapist ever let out of prison to start with? Prisons are NOT primarily established as places to raise wayward children to become responsible adults. It's purpose is to PUNISH offenders enough to convince them to straighten up their lives once released so they never have to go back there again. Prison is NOT supposed to be Day Care for Adults.

And when it comes to serial felonies against persons,that goes beyond crime and the ability of anyone to rehabilitate. The compulsion to become a serial offender against people is too ingrained to ever be defeated,so serial offenders of violent unprovoked crimes against persons and/or animals should be locked away for life in mental institutions. It ain't pretty and it ain't PC,but it is the only solution to that type of problem.

>>And if you do rent to him, you have an obligation to inform the women who are renting from you, giving them an option to get out of their lease. <<

No,you don't. You are their landlord,not their patron saint. With your approach,landlords can be held liable for unknowingly renting to someone who harms them later. There come s a time boys and girls where we all have to be responsible for our own damn selves,and that time is when you are attacked. I am old and have all sorts of physical problems now,but I can guarantee you that physically attacking me is not a smart thing to do if you want to continue living. I am a LOT more dangerous now that I have mobility problems than I was when I was young and healthy. I'm not going to play with you now. I'm just going to take you out. I expect ME to be my primary defense against attack,not some random cop that might or might not be in the area and in a position to help me when I need help.

>> And you have an obligation to any prospective women tenants to tell them that you have a rapist living in the building.<<

Do you also have an obligation to tell them that a airplane can land on their heads,buildings sometimes catch fire,they could be hit by a drunk driver walking to their car,and that a storm might cause the building to collapse with them in it?

WHERE does the nanny-ism end and personal responsibility begin?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 04:37:48 pm »
We own a few rental properties,  but we've noticed it's getting harder and harder to find good deals,  as soon as something hits the market, it gets scooped up by somebody offering cash, sight unseen.

My best advice,  use a realtor to get tenants,   it will save you money in the long-run, trust me on this.

@dfwgator

Not to mention a TON of grief. The best landlord/tenant situation is when the tenant doesn't know you are the landlord.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:58 pm »
@Frank Cannon

What do you know about it? I have been in the business for 30 years and own over 30 properties. Your comments on this thread are of a general moron. You DO NOT have to take just anybody for a tenant. You just have to be smart enough to put unachievable hurdles in front of undesirables that do not advertise why you are kicking their application. A first month, last month plus SD usually sends losers backing because there is no way they can come up with that pile of cash up front. Other reasons? Already rented. Just had a bedbug outbreak and is unavailable at this time. Insane background checks involving girlfriends and coworkers from 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:53:08 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 05:27:48 pm »
What do you know about it?<<

@Frank Cannon

I know how it is SUPPOSED to work,and I do know some of the dodges used by people like you. I can't really blame you for doing what you are doing to protect yourself in this insane day and age,but what I can and WILL do is state the way it is supposed to be.

AND....,I am not the moron telling the whole world how I get around the laws on a public bulletin board.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »
@Frank Cannon

I know how it is SUPPOSED to work,and I do know some of the dodges used by people like you. I can't really blame you for doing what you are doing to protect yourself in this insane day and age,but what I can and WILL do is state the way it is supposed to be.

How Pollyanna of you. The "how it's supposed to be" never existed. You know what existed? You payed your rent and kept your mouth shut or your front door was removed in the middle of winter or your toilet was pulled and the board of health was called while you were out. Leases have quit clauses for uninhabitable conditions.

AND....,I am not the moron telling the whole world how I get around the laws on a public bulletin board.

Yeah. Because my name is Frank Cannon from Forrest Lawn Cemetery......plus everything I told you I did is 100% and absolutely legal.