Author Topic: Selling my 45-70  (Read 1429 times)

Offline TheMom

Selling my 45-70
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »
I have decided to sell my Marlin 45-70.  I purchased it three years ago because "it's pretty".  It hasn't gotten much use ~ maybe 30ish rounds have been shot through it.  Last weekend I shot it once and my shoulder pitched a bitch, as the thing has quite the kick.

My decision to sell has several factors; 1) see above about the kick, 2) it's sad that it doesn't get much use, and 3) I think my neighborhood is safe from buffalo or elephant attacks.

Thought I'd offer it up to folks here before I head to the local gun store.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Selling my 45-70
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:23:26 am »
I have decided to sell my Marlin 45-70.  I purchased it three years ago because "it's pretty".  It hasn't gotten much use ~ maybe 30ish rounds have been shot through it.  Last weekend I shot it once and my shoulder pitched a bitch, as the thing has quite the kick.

My decision to sell has several factors; 1) see above about the kick, 2) it's sad that it doesn't get much use, and 3) I think my neighborhood is safe from buffalo or elephant attacks.

Yeah... That's one really great gun - Mine's the short Marlin carbine... We have griz here, and I am getting too old to tussle and to gimped up to run... So I finally got rid of my Winchester Model 94 30/30 for the 45/70

I am a big dude, and I'll testify that (unaltered) it kicks worse than a Missouri mule.
However, there is somewhat you can do... I machined some muzzle brake slots into the tip of the barrel which helped some for the jump, but not much for the kick...

I then hung the 'cowboy' magazine on it, cut down to fit, which normally adds three rounds... But the top most round was given up for a mercury balancer, and another is machined into the stock...

Now she's a sweetheart. A touch more kick than the 30/30, but that was pretty much fixed with a recoil pad. I'm long-built, so I need the extra stock anyway... Wouldn't give up that rifle for nothing.

Good luck selling yours - If it doesn't sell good down there, it sure will in WY/ID/MT/AK, if you've got folks up this way you could trust with the sale.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:23:57 am by roamer_1 »