Author Topic: Can Someone Please Make the Candidates Talk About Social Security?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline LMAO

Can Someone Please Make the Candidates Talk About Social Security?
A recent trustees’ report says we have 18 years until it goes broke. We must know what Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump propose to do about it.
Bob Kerrey
Bob Kerrey
10.07.16 12:00 AM ET

Few if any candidates for federal office will tell you that as a consequence of current federal law, young Americans are being screwed in two life-changing ways.

First, under current law, every Social Security beneficiary under the age of 48 will have their promised benefits cut by a third. And second, every young person who works is contributing between $10,000 and $20,000 to the health care and retirement of those lucky Americans who are already drawing benefits under federal law.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/07/can-someone-please-make-the-candidates-talk-about-social-security.html

When pundits, partisans, and the press can quit talking about who groped who and when, this is an issue the candidates, to our fiscal peril, want to avoid.

Trump says he will not touch them(impossible). Hillary states she will"strengthen them" whatever the hell that means

Yet, no economic growth will be enough to fund these programs and all the promises made. While I don't 100% agree with Kerry's solutions, he  does seem to recognize, even if the two candidates don't want to, that we have a serious problem
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:08:56 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

Re: Can Someone Please Make the Candidates Talk About Social Security?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:01:18 am »

Nope. No more issues will be discussed - Just a stench-filled swirl down into the gutter.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:04:57 am »

you funny man.  no wonder they call you  LMAO

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 05:10:38 am »

Sure. Just stick your hand up Donny's ass to make his mouth move and he will say anything you want....

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:56:49 am »
I think the media is using the antics of Trump as a distraction. And even a casual observer can see  is providing the "Bread and Circuses"

But all this is a blip. I don't think the average citizen truly grasps our fiscal situation. They think as long as the checks come and they can go to the grocery store and the bus runs on time, believe things, although not good, are really not that bad.

When I look at the  "show" that's the 2016 election including the primary, I don't see this anymore as a lost opportunity as some do. I see this as a reflection of society at large. I think we are past the point of no return. Or, at the least, the point of no return with the ability to try to fix this without pain.

Many of the more dedicated Trump supporters will tell you that he is our last hope to "fix" America. But they never really define what that means. Many of his backers have come out and backed his support for increasing the minimum wage, more spending, and Mandated Maternity Leave among other things.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:57:17 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

geronl

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:35 am »
They aren't going to talk about real issues.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 11:26:02 am »
Bookmark.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 12:08:02 pm »
Social Security isn't that hard to fix (Medicare, that's another matter).    What's lacking, of course, is the political will.   

The system could gain more funding by removing the "wage base" cap on FICA contributions.  (Sure, that would make SS appear more like an ordinary welfare program,  but that's really what it is anyway.)   Or the system's actuarial cost can be reduced by changing how cost of living increases are determined, or by raising the normal retirement age.   Heck, the system can even be propped up by immigration reform (did you know that illegals are a boon to Social Security because many pay in but don't get paid out?)   

It's important to preserve SS as a safety net,  because less than a quarter of working Americans are eligible for private pensions.   Successful retirement stands on two legs - income security that you can't outlive, which is what SS and a traditional private pension provide,  and retirement savings,  which government policy primarily subsidizes by means of 401(k) plans.  Each plays a role but has a key shortcoming.   SS will last until you die,  which is great when you live to be 100 but sucks if you die at 60 having never collecting a penny.   A 401(k) plan will help you build wealth you can pass to your heirs,  but if you live long and don't live frugally that nest egg will soon be gone.   

You've no doubt heard the stories that most of us are unable or unwilling to save for their retirement, which causes SS to assume an outsize role in preserving the dignity of older Americans.   I used to favor GOP proposals to privatize SS, or allow younger workers to divert a part of their contributions to savings accounts.   I've become less enamored of such reforms as I watch the private pension system become increasingly unsustainable and limited to a privileged few (e.g., government workers). 

Social Security is the backbone that must not break. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:12:05 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 02:06:04 am »
Title:
"Can Someone Please Make the Candidates Talk About Social Security?"

Lots of short memories around here.

G.W. Bush started "talking about Social Security" back in 2005. Does anyone remember?
That probably became one of the reasons the Pubbies lost so badly in the elections of 2006.

Fearless prediction:
NO ONE will be talkin' much about Social Security, until the day the payments stop going out.

THEN, the talking will begin...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »
Social Security is only talked about when the economy is good.

The fact is, by the time I'm of retirement age, the fund will be gone. I'm already planning on it not being there. Most everyone else should too, and for good reason: getting money just for being old is a ludicrous proposition.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »
Social Security is only talked about when the economy is good.

The fact is, by the time I'm of retirement age, the fund will be gone. I'm already planning on it not being there. Most everyone else should too, and for good reason: getting money just for being old is a ludicrous proposition.

The government will never run out of money as long as there is a Federal Reserve

Of course, the checks will still go out but the purchasing power will be greatly diminished

Barry Goldwater