Author Topic: TV presidents can do anything, except declare themselves as good Republicans  (Read 768 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
TV presidents can do anything, except declare themselves as good Republicans
By Hank Stuever The Washington Post
Published Oct. 13, 2016

Like voters, television is also on the hunt for a suitable U.S. president. In a crop of current dramas and comedies, idealized traits are summoned forth and shaped into characters who almost always read as more likable and presidential than the two people currently angling for the Oval Office. Even "Veep's" Selina Meyer, routinely called the c-word by her staff, seems preferable to our real-life options.

That's TV's job, after all. When it comes to presidents, shows about politics specialize in wish-fulfillment and simplified resolution, so long as your politics lean to the left. Conservatives aren't wrong when they gripe that Hollywood seems creatively disabled when it comes to delivering a fictional Republican president to whom viewers can relate. That's why some Donald Trump supporters and Fox News addicts, so primed for the dismantling of Washington, may have raised the incline on their BarcaLoungers (briefly, hopefully) upon hearing the premise of ABC's ambitious political drama, "Designated Survivor."

The series premiered in September with an unthinkable fantasy usually reserved for macho action movies: A terrorist bomb explodes during the president's State of the Union address, killing everyone in the House Chamber, including the commander-in-chief, his vice president and cabinet members, Congress, Supreme Court justices and others, leaving a crater of rubble and only half of a charred Capitol dome. Throw the bastards out, indeed. (Or blow them up.)...
Read more at http://jewishworldreview.com/1016/good_tv_GOP_prez.php3#ga81VwOtBpbvOod7.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

Hollywood's been getting even with Joe McCarthy for the past 60 years.

Offline goatprairie

The wife and I are watching DS waiting for the last episode when the villains will be revealed to be
Evil Conservatives maybe in cahoots with radical Islamists....or something on that theme.
They've already taken a good jab at states righters and the military making the gov. of Michigan out to be an anti-Muslim bigot and self-proclaimed king of Michigan.
The good guys are females and black people. Already Kiefer Sutherland had to fire the stereotypical hard-a** white, military general who tried to start a war and issued aggressive war orders over the president's head.
So when Sutherland had the Michigan gov. arrested for treason and fired the general all the libs in the viewing audience probably jumped for joy.
The very anti-Republican Kal Penn is one of the producers and also plays a Muslim assistant to Sutherland, so get ready for some more anti-conservative episodes.
The wife loves it, so I have to watch it.

Offline mountaineer

Isn't Kal Penn the guy who worked in the Obama administration for a while and was rumored to be one of Barry's boyfriends?

In any event, look at who the erstwhile "Law and Order" franchise has vilified over its 20+ years or so: pro-life people, Christians and conservatives of every variety, supporters of the 2nd Amendment, anyone remotely capitalist, Serbs, and just about anyone who wasn't Muslim, liberal or non-white. The one time I can recall in a Law and Order episode the perp was a Muslim, it was just a young American convert who killed someone over a girl he liked, not over ideology. Granted, I may not be remembering every single episode, and can't really count the "SVU" spinoff because I've seen so few episodes of that (horrible writing, worse acting), but there were times my husband and I watched an L&O episode and within five minutes could see that the villain would be corporate America, a Christian or a conservative (generally, white male racists, of course).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

Yes, Penn worked for the Obama admin. And in one of his recent, awful Harold and Kumar movies did a big dig at G. W. Bush.

What gets me about modern tv shows is everything has to be politically correct. Even Brit shows have followed that course.
In cop shows the police chiefs are now all females or minorities.  White males are usually depicted as being insensitive male chauvinist pigs with a modicum of intelligence.
This one Brit detective show "Scott and Bailey" is about the most anti-male show I've ever seen. The police chief is of course a female who constantly bosses the beta males on the force around. The male friends and childrent of the show's two female stars are also feckless, immature males. And to be sure when the females chase after a male suspect, they usually outrun him and physically overpower him.
And then there's the detective show "Shetland" (set on the Shetland Islands) where although the main star is a male, his police chief is naturally a female as is the forensic pathologist. His police partner is also a young female.  One time he had to visit the Scottish mainland to consult with a superior officer who was naturally black.
 Now, are there female and black police officers, forensic pathologists, and maybe a female or black police chief or two in Britain? Probably....but it seems now that  all new dramatic shows must have requsitie numbers females or minorities in prominent positions of power.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:56:49 pm by goatprairie »