Author Topic: Rights of Russian opposition politician Kasparov (former chess champion) violated – ECHR  (Read 220 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Rights of Russian opposition politician Kasparov violated – ECHR

14:07 11/10/2016

MOSCOW, October 11 (RAPSI) - The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled on Tuesday that the rights of Russian opposition politician Garri Kasparov, who failed to take part in the opposition rally in Samara in 2007, have been violated.

Kasparov filed the complaint in 2007 claiming that he had been arrested at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport along with other persons who planned to travel to Samara to participate in the Dissenters' March.

Law enforcement authorities said that the opposition politician had been arrested on suspicion of breaching procedure for confirming flight tickets. The applicant regarded his apprehension as preventing him from participation in the rally and consequently as violation of his rights to freedom of expression and freedom of association.

According to the application, a police officer seized Kasparov’s passport and ticket when he presented the documents for identity check. Then he was taken to a police office and questioned for 5 hours.

Read More At: http://www.rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20161011/276950532.html

He is a good man, a criticism I have heard concerning the former chess champion, is that he would really have Western powers intervening in some of these hot spots. Some don't care to go that far, I'd agree with Ted Cruz and others, let's send updated weaponry if that helps. Just my opinion.