Author Topic: ACT Shows Students Aren't Ready for College  (Read 479 times)

rangerrebew

ACT Shows Students Aren't Ready for College
« on: October 08, 2016, 12:42:48 pm »
ACT Shows Students Aren't Ready for College
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to PinterestShare to TwitterShare to Google+Share to Blogger

ACT test company, recently published a report showing that approximately one in three students who take the ACT are not prepared for college. Specific areas where students have continued to show poor performance to date include mathematics (particularly algebra), writing and science (biology). While just over six in ten students meet college-preparedness benchmarks in individual subject areas, only a quarter of all test takers show competency in all four areas that the ACT exam covers.

While students' performance in individual subjects has fluctuated over the years, overall performance – across all subjects – has remained about the same. One year over 36% of students showed college-level proficiency in science, an increase of 5% over the previous year. However, that same year only 44% of test takers showed college-level proficiency in reading – a 6% decrease from the previous year.

http://www.educationcorner.com/students-not-ready-for-college.html
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:43:24 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline mountaineer

Re: ACT Shows Students Aren't Ready for College
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 01:04:02 pm »
Not surprising. I attend most school board meetings as a reporter, and am astonished at how little actual classroom time the kiddies have. Plenty of field trips and, no doubt, esteem building exercises. Another problem is really bad math teachers. I've heard about this both in my school district and in my very bright niece's school in the Pittsburgh suburbs. She's frustrated because the teacher isn't actually teaching anything at all.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org