Author Topic: New Mexico: Moves closer to slashing state agency funding  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
New Mexico: Moves closer to slashing state agency funding
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:57:54 pm »

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A plan to slash New Mexico state agency spending by nearly 3 percent with the exception of public safety and child welfare programs was approved Wednesday by the state House of Representatives.

The proposal closely resembles a Senate-approved bill, and House Republican majority leader Nate Gentry said he had negotiated a "handshake" compromise with Senate leaders that resolved disagreements by cutting higher education funding by 5 percent. House Republicans initially advocated for greater cuts to public colleges, universities and vocational schools.

The House bill would deepen Senate approved cuts to 5.5 percent of current operating budgets at most agencies, including departments overseeing public health programs, taxation and revenue, economic development, state museums and historic sites, along with the state attorney general's office.

The 36-32 vote in the House advances a key budget solvency provision as lawmakers confront a nearly $600 million general fund shortfall linked to a downturn in oil and gas markets.

"This is about the least fun I've ever had in Santa Fe is figuring out what areas of government to cut," Gentry said. "Gridlock cannot prevail here because if it does, government shuts down."...

Read more at: http://www.valleymorningstar.com/article_b92da92f-52fc-5b51-98ed-e433fb187c28.html
The Republic is lost.

geronl

Re: New Mexico: Moves closer to slashing state agency funding
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
Cutting government would be fun. Give me a chainsaw and watch government agencies disappear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »
Cutting government would be fun. Give me a chainsaw and watch government agencies disappear.

What I like is that 'slashing' amounts to about 3%.
The Republic is lost.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »
What I like is that 'slashing' amounts to about 3%.

:silly: :silly:

The federal government needs about 80% cut.