Author Topic: Walmart Plans to Radically Change the Way You Grocery Shop  (Read 1131 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Walmart Plans to Radically Change the Way You Grocery Shop
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:04:36 pm »

Newsmax
Walmart Plans to Radically Change the Way You Grocery Shop
Thursday, October 6, 2016 09:02 AM

By: Clyde Hughes

Walmart plans to radically change the way its customers grocery shop as the big-box giant aggressively expands its online pickup services around the country.

While tech and e-commerce companies like Google and Amazon are considering grocery-delivery models, Walmart's advantage is having a network of 4,600 stores as a starting point, according to The Washington Post.

In the last year, Walmart has grown its online grocery pickup program from five markets to more than 80 around the nation, the newspaper noted.

"We see a huge opportunity through pickup, particularly in grocery," Doug McMillon, Walmart's chief executive, told investors last year. "The combination of digital relationship and stores is a winner."

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Walmart is set to reinvest in its online grocery business after seeing its overall sales weaken and experiencing a revenue drop in fiscal year 2016.

The retail giant gets more than half of it revenue in the United States from food and grocery sales, according to WSJ, the same area that appears to be the slowest to shift to online shopping, stated the publication.

"The expectations for the (online) customer are different than for somebody parking their car and walking in and browsing," Karenann Terrell, Walmart's chief information officer, told The Journal last month. "Making the online-to-store experience easy and seamless when they come to the store, sign in through the kiosk and pick up is critical"

"We also have a model for what kind of replenishment settings for fresh fruit and vegetables would be necessary in the first week of online shopping, and then the fifth week, the 10th week and so on. That is gold in order for us to continue to run smooth operations in the store as we add in grocery home shopping," Terrell added.

The Hamilton Journal-News reported Wednesday that Walmart has opened up online grocery pickup at 12 stores in Ohio, were shoppers can pick through more than 30,000 items, including fresh meat, diary, and produce. Walmart spokeswoman Anne Hatfield told the newspaper that, while the service is free, there is a $30 minimum purchase.

"We've expanded which stores are carrying it throughout the summer and that will continue throughout the year," Hatfield said, according to the Journal-News.

Walmart also sought to bolster its online presence in August when it signed a $3.3 billion deal to purchase young online retailer Jet.com Inc., according to The Wall Street Journal.

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=751960
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Walmart Plans to Radically Change the Way You Grocery Shop
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 04:27:00 pm »
I don't shop for groceries at Walmart, but this would actually be sort of cool.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »
I don't shop for groceries at Walmart, but this would actually be sort of cool.

Me neither (hate it), and not really...

It is already bad enough buying clothes and parts online - with no means of touch and feel, no means of inspection...

How does one order meat, breads, and produce particularly without that aspect? How likely is it that they would trickle their almost bad produce and meat products, and older bread products into a larger order without the need to fire-sale it?

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll go get it.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
Me neither (hate it), and not really...

It is already bad enough buying clothes and parts online - with no means of touch and feel, no means of inspection...

How does one order meat, breads, and produce particularly without that aspect? How likely is it that they would trickle their almost bad produce and meat products, and older bread products into a larger order without the need to fire-sale it?

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll go get it.

IF (Big If) Walmart is successful; then bad produce, meat, and bread products will simply be returned al a the Amazon way. A click here and voila - your account will be credited and UPS will pick up the defective products, or you can simply throw them away.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 05:28:24 pm »
IF (Big If) Walmart is successful; then bad produce, meat, and bread products will simply be returned al a the Amazon way. A click here and voila - your account will be credited and UPS will pick up the defective products, or you can simply throw them away.

I understand the shtick... What that means for me is money tied up in store-side accounts, and lowered inventory.
I fix computers, and I am approaching 20% tied up in returned product - That means that for every 100 bucks I spend, I have 20 bucks tied up waiting for some sort of resolution. And some of that is lost to return shipping.

I *never* had that problem dealing with regional vendors and reps with which I could actually develop relationship.
And I have, on two recent occasions, returned a product (by serial number) and had the very same item come back to me on a later order - They just recycle the crap right back into the pipeline.

Online ordering sucks.