Author Topic: Sabotage Suggested In SpaceX Explosion  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Sabotage Suggested In SpaceX Explosion
« on: October 03, 2016, 04:08:15 pm »

An element of intrigue has been added to the investigation of the explosion of SpaceX rocket on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral last month. The Washington Post, quoting unnamed sources, says SpaceX is investigating the possibility of sabotage in the mishap, which destroyed the rocket and its payload, an internet-beaming satellite being deployed by Facebook. According to the story, SpaceX sent investigators to a building owned by competitor United Launch Alliance about a mile from the launch pad because it noted something odd on the roof of the building in still images taken from video shot at the time of the blast.

(snip...)

A little more at the link: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Sabotage-Suggested-In-SpaceX-Explosion-227052-1.html
Let it burn.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Sabotage Suggested In SpaceX Explosion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »
I think the issue here is Musk has been self-insuring, which he can, but he is trying to limit his liability by creating doubt so there is a settlement. Not only did the explosion destroy his rocket, but also damage the launch pad area, possibly another few billion in losses.

He simply doesn't want to have to write a check to NASA for a billion dollars so he is creating some doubt and hoping, instead of litigating it, they settle for half or less.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »
The Washington Post, quoting unnamed sources, says SpaceX is investigating the possibility of sabotage in the mishap

I suppose it's not impossible.... but this explosion follows the general pattern of carelessness and poor QA that were to blame for the many other SpaceX explosions.

One of the primary rules for space is that you learn from the mistakes of others, so that you don't make them yourself.  SpaceX has set things up so that they can't do that.  Their hiring practices pretty much ensure that they have no institutional knowledge; and their cost control efforts are generally aimed at avoiding the expense of proper QA.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:29:01 pm »
I suppose it's not impossible.... but this explosion follows the general pattern of carelessness and poor QA that were to blame for the many other SpaceX explosions.

One of the primary rules for space is that you learn from the mistakes of others, so that you don't make them yourself.  SpaceX has set things up so that they can't do that.  Their hiring practices pretty much ensure that they have no institutional knowledge; and their cost control efforts are generally aimed at avoiding the expense of proper QA.

As much I like SpaceX, they need to improve their QA..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:41:54 pm »

As much I like SpaceX, they need to improve their QA..

The mentality that Musk brings is not capable of providing the underlying consistency and mature processes.  Its the Silicon Valley mentality that documented processes and discipline are worse then worthless. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:02:16 am »
The mentality that Musk brings is not capable of providing the underlying consistency and mature processes.  Its the Silicon Valley mentality that documented processes and discipline are worse then worthless.

That I agree. He needs to improve the QA.. Especially when they send humans into space. There are a lot of people who hates humans in space.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:02:35 am by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/