Author Topic: Caught On Tape: Hackers Take Control Of A Moving Tesla From Miles Away  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-27/caught-tape-hackers-take-control-moving-tesla-model-s-miles-away

Tesla can't seem to catch a break this year with multiple accidents blamed on the company's autopilot feature, earnings misses and huge cash burns on lower than expected deliveries that have resulted in the company hitting its bank "funding limit", and a controversial proposed merger with SolarCity.  Fortunately, none of this has really mattered to shareholders who keep supporting the stock near its all time highs.

As such, we suspect that Chinese hackers posting the first-ever evidence on youtube that they can hack into moving Teslas and control the vehicles from miles away won't be of much concern to shareholders either.

Nevertheless, we present the following startling footage of Tesla Model S vehicles being remotely controlled by hackers who demonstrate the ability to manipulate everything from overriding the internal displays to opening locked doors and slamming on the brakes while the car is moving.  Seems pretty safe, right?

The following footage shows a hacker slamming on the brakes of this Model S from 12 miles away.

Per Forbes, the hack by Tencent’s Keen Security Labs Team was the first demonstration of anyone proving they could remotely control vehicles, making the potential for real-world attacks a little more realistic.

Keen said it had informed Tesla’s security team of multiple vulnerabilities in the latest models running the most recent software. Moreover, the hacks were found to work on various versions of the Tesla Model S and are believed to also work across all marques.

A Tesla spokesperson acknowledged the Keen hack and said it had issued an over-the-air update to "address" the vulnerabilities even though the "risk to our customers was very low."

“Within just 10 days of receiving this report, Tesla has already deployed an over-the-air software update (v7.1, 2.36.31) that addresses the potential security issues.  The issue demonstrated is only triggered when the web browser is used, and also required the car to be physically near to and connected to a malicious wifi hotspot. Our realistic estimate is that the risk to our customers was very low, but this did not stop us from responding quickly.”

We agree, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Oceander

Re: Caught On Tape: Hackers Take Control Of A Moving Tesla From Miles Away
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »
That's it.  I'm going to resurrect my G'ma's old 1976 Lincoln Continental, Mk IV:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:58 pm »
That's it.  I'm going to resurrect my G'ma's old 1976 Lincoln Continental, Mk IV:

I would. All of this fly by wire tech in cars is going to prove to be a mess. Instead of a group of punk kids stealing your hubcaps, they are going to shut your car down in the middle of I 95 traffic. During the summer I drive a '76 Custom Cruiser for this reason. Not even the radio is digital.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »
Cars, like voting machines, have no need to be connected to the internet. Plain and simple.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
Cars, like voting machines, have no need to be connected to the internet. Plain and simple.

Yep. Until they encrypt the operating system data this will just continue to get worse and worse.

The gummint is enabling the industry because they believe it will generate new revenue streams or "public favor".

CAFE standards for automotive fuel efficiency has killed tens of thousands of people who would have been alive if the gummint didn't require automakers to make their vehicles less safe by making them lighter.
That didn't even slow them down. They are going ahead with even higher efficiency standards - expected to cause the deaths of tens of thousands more.

Just as the gummint outright killed tens of thousands of people during Prohibition by poisoning the industrial ethyl alcohol supply because large amounts of it were being diverted by gangsters and others to public consumption. The gummint deliberately caused the deaths of thousands of Americans who drank the alcohol either not believing it was poisonous or because gangsters who stole it didn't tell them because they wanted to make money.

The government is our friend. Throughout history they have killed thousands upon thousands of us every year and say all the while that "it is for our own good".
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:41:00 pm »
I would. All of this fly by wire tech in cars is going to prove to be a mess. Instead of a group of punk kids stealing your hubcaps, they are going to shut your car down in the middle of I 95 traffic. During the summer I drive a '76 Custom Cruiser for this reason. Not even the radio is digital.

Parents had a 1977 Custom Cruiser back in the day, with the optional rear-facing seat in the back:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:55:42 pm »

That's why when I do buy a new vehicle, I will insist on disconnecting the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth links. NOT disabled, DISCONNECTED!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:01:38 pm »
That's why when I do buy a new vehicle, I will insist on disconnecting the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth links. NOT disabled, DISCONNECTED!

I don't know if you would be able to do that because the cars are going to need to update it's software.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »

This is doubly true considering we have smartphones.