Author Topic: The story behind how Arnold Palmer invented his famous drink, the Arnold Palmer  (Read 357 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
The story behind how Arnold Palmer invented his famous drink, the Arnold Palmer
By Cindy Boren The Washington Post
Published Sept. 27, 2016
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/palmer_drink.php3#Yh9Xe1oCFbyCYqlJ.99

Leave it to Arnold Palmer to be self-deprecating about the drink that carries his name.

He may not have been the first person to combine iced tea and lemonade, but without Arnold Palmer, how would people have ordered it? Now, on the day after his death at the age of 87, Palmer is being remembered for a legendary golfing career and personality that popularized and commercialized the game. That illustrious career coincided, happily, with a time when TV was taking hold and among the many, many things Palmer is being lauded for, one of the coolest is the beverage that carries his name.

He got the idea, he said in an "ESPN 30 for 30" short, one day when his late wife, Winnie, made iced tea and inspiration struck like a thunderbolt.

"My wife made a lot of iced tea for lunch, and I said, 'Hey, babe, I've got an idea. You make the iced tea and make a big pitcher, and we'll just put a little lemonade in it and see how that works.' We mixed it up, and I got the solution about where I wanted it and I put the lemonade in it. I had it for lunch after working on the golf course. I thought, 'Boy, this is great, babe. I'm going to take it when I play golf. I'm going to take a thermos of iced tea and lemonade.' "...
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/palmer_drink.php3#Yh9Xe1oCFbyCYqlJ.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour