Author Topic: Pass the passé, please  (Read 1931 times)

Offline endicom

Pass the passé, please
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »
Screaming into the void, I query: Is the televised political debate as antedated as political televangelism in general? Did last night's debate matter in terms of changing minds?

Offline r9etb

Re: Pass the passé, please
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:39:37 pm »
Screaming into the void, I query: Is the televised political debate as antedated as political televangelism in general? Did last night's debate matter in terms of changing minds?

It is possible that there were some truly undecided viewers last night who may have been influenced to vote for either Clinton or Trump.  But those would have been few in number, I think.

Mostly it was (as it was intended to be) spectacle, the hope of most viewers being that one or both candidates would fail spectacularly and thus obviate the need to worry about the election itself.

On those grounds, the debate actually favored Trump, in that he was about as bad as expected, and not disastrously worse. 

And if he takes his poor performance to heart and works a lot harder on the next two "debates", then Clinton is in trouble -- she won't get any better than she was last night, and she didn't knock Trump out when he was at his worst.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:40:30 pm by r9etb »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:29:24 pm »

'Heard an analyst on talk radio yesterday discussing the history of debates having an impact.
The key is memorable quotes/moments and there weren't any yesterday.

The key for affecting polls seems to be in "framing the debate". A good example of that would be Ronald Reagan in 1980, who framed the debate as "Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?" and that put Carter on his heels. Carter never fully recovered his campaign footing after debate #1 - the polls decisively shifted in favor of RWR, who had been behind slightly before, and he won by landslide. 
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:25 pm »
It is possible that there were some truly undecided viewers last night who may have been influenced to vote for either Clinton or Trump.  But those would have been few in number, I think.

I think that's right.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:00:05 pm »
'Heard an analyst on talk radio yesterday discussing the history of debates having an impact.
The key is memorable quotes/moments and there weren't any yesterday.

Some pundit, I forget who, made that point just to dismiss it as having an impact on elections. We no longer believe politicians or respect supposedly intellectual talking heads. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:03:52 pm »
Calling that whatever it was last night a "debate" is analogous to calling a tractor tire an airplane IMHO!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »
Calling that whatever it was last night a "debate" is analogous to calling a tractor tire an airplane IMHO!

A characterization that has been true since 1976....

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »
A characterization that has been true since 1976....

:beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien