Author Topic: Eight examples where ‘fact-checking’ became opinion journalism  (Read 1212 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Eight examples where ‘fact-checking’ became opinion journalism
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:20:38 am »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/26/eight-examples-where-fact-checking-became-opinion-/

by Kelly Riddell
September 26, 2016

The media coverage on the presidential contest seems to have come down to “fact-checking,” with The New York Times, The Washington Post and Politico each doing articles depicting Donald Trump’s lies on the campaign trail.

This is dangerous territory for the profession, for as Wall Street Journal columnist James Taranto opined on Twitter: ” ‘Fact checking’ is opinion journalism pretending to be some sort of heightened objectivity.”

Why you ask? Because most “fact-checkers” are merely liberal journalists looking to prove their preconceived narrative. They cherry-pick the statements to “fact-check” and then decide which data to back it up with. Statistics can be manipulated — for every study coming out of the Brookings Institute, the Heritage Foundation can have a counter argument, depending on the methodology and surveys used. Moreover, much of what they decide to “fact-check” is subjective at best. Nothing that can be pinned down with undisputed data.

In addition, many times politicians use hyperbole to extenuate a larger point — and many times these “fact-checkers” ignore the larger point to focus on the validity of the minutia. Here are the eight most outrageous “fact-checks” used against Mr. Trump in the last few weeks, that explain why the American public’s trust in the media is at an all-time low.

continued at link
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Eight examples where ‘fact-checking’ became opinion journalism
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:58:50 am »
When I was still in the media, about mid 2000s, the AP handed down a memo to affiliated outlets that opinion was henceforth acceptable in hard news articles. Opinion has been 100% approved as 'news' since then.

Which is why opinion IS news today. Just depends on which opinion gets printed/broadcast.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:50:03 am »
When I was still in the media, about mid 2000s, the AP handed down a memo to affiliated outlets that opinion was henceforth acceptable in hard news articles. Opinion has been 100% approved as 'news' since then.

Which is why opinion IS news today. Just depends on which opinion gets printed/broadcast.
And that opinion gets published as fact in the vast majority of daily newspapers in every town in America, not to mention those TV stations who rely on AP news reports.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:55 am »
And that opinion gets published as fact in the vast majority of daily newspapers in every town in America, not to mention those TV stations who rely on AP news reports.
Yep. I saw an article in the Baltimore Sun which stated unequivocally that 'Fracking was known to contaminate groundwater. ' I twice emailed the author, once asking what examples he could cite. No reply. The second gave him a link to an EPA study which said there was no instance of fracking contaminating groundwater. Still no reply.

Opinion (and grossly incorrect, at that), not fact, in an influential newspaper in a State which is considering a ban on fracking, but stated as fact.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 06:11:41 am »
Yep. I saw an article in the Baltimore Sun which stated unequivocally that 'Fracking was known to contaminate groundwater. ' I twice emailed the author, once asking what examples he could cite. No reply. The second gave him a link to an EPA study which said there was no instance of fracking contaminating groundwater. Still no reply.

Opinion (and grossly incorrect, at that), not fact, in an influential newspaper in a State which is considering a ban on fracking, but stated as fact.

Short version: I worked with an editor who was much like the special snowflake set here. Swore he was conservative and thought Lindsay ghram types were conservatives too.

He used to give me lectures about being crazy when I would edit out obvious bias in AP articles. He believed AP stood for "Above Perfection" pretty much and scoffed at the idea opinion would EVER be allowed in an AP story. They were sacrosanct.

I  thought he was gonna stroke when we got the memo. I had SUCH a good laugh in his face that week.