Author Topic: If Hillary loses, Democrats face a long time in exile  (Read 1733 times)

HAPPY2BME

If Hillary loses, Democrats face a long time in exile
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:50:24 am »
By Michael Barone
September 23, 2016

Anti-Trump Republicans hope the Trump effect will just go away, and will note that a defeated Trump will not leave behind much in the nature of an institutional apparatus, as the defeated Barry Goldwater arguably did in 1964. But the argument for going back to pre-Trump positions is weakened by the fact that Republicans have lost four of the six presidential elections between 1992 and 2012.

But what if Hillary Clinton loses? The political map in that case will look quite different, with Democratic states confined to the Northeast, West Coast and a few splotches in between. The presidential Democratic Party, like the congressional Democratic Party, will be concentrated in heavily Democratic central cities, some sympathetic suburbs and scattered university towns.

The shock for Democrats if Clinton loses will likely be more severe than for Republicans if Trump loses.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/23/if-hillary-loses-democrats-face-a-long-time-in-exile/

HAPPY2BME

Re: If Hillary loses, Democrats face a long time in exile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:51:33 am »
Dollar$ to donut$ the majority of the trump hater$ here on this web site are confined to the Northeast, West Coast and a few splotches in between.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:52:29 am »
Dollar$ to donut$ the majority of the trump hater$ here on this web site are confined to the Northeast, West Coast and a few splotches in between.

Could be said for anyone.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 01:54:15 am »

Eh? How do you figure? Trump won biggest in the northeast.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 02:04:47 am »
LOL!!   The Democrats will likely take the House and the Senate in 2018 if Trump wins, just as the GOP did after Obama's win.

Nobody stays in the wilderness long.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 02:11:26 am »
Whatever party label, it's still liberals.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 02:12:16 am »
If Hillary loses, a Democrat will still control the White House.

You thought Obama's so-called 'stimulus' bill was bad in 2009?  Just wait 'til you see Trump's.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

geronl

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 02:13:02 am »
Could be said for anyone.

I am in Texas. A lot of us "Trump Haters" can be found in Texas and other conservative places.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:14:12 am »
I am in Texas. A lot of us "Trump Haters" can be found in Texas and other conservative places.

================================

Where is TED CRUZ from?  Any ideas?

Cruz: I'm voting for DONALD TRUMP

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
================================

Where is TED CRUZ from?  Any ideas?

Ah....Canada? Thats what your crew harped on for months afterall. It would be a unique thing to witness if one of you ever didn't bring up a talking point that you didn't argue the opposite of when it suited you in the past. Situational ethics on full display to promote Trump.

Not remotely surprising as you all seem rather ethically flexible to begin with.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:56:49 am »
Actually, I think after this election, no matter the outcome, it will be the Republican Party which will suffer the most.  The party as a whole has become more and more liberal.  It has made clear that true conservatives are no longer welcome.  There are plenty of disgruntled voters out there, so I see Republicans losing majorities in both houses of Congress.  When that happens, even if Trump wants to advance his agenda, such as nominating conservative justices to SCOTUS,  he won't get the approval of Congress  (not that I expect Trump to really keep any of his promises).  This will destroy the party as we know it.  In order to survive, the party will have to become even more liberal, and I can't see the US sustaining 2 liberal parties.  One will have to go, and that one will be the Republican Party.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:59:12 am »
Actually, I think after this election, no matter the outcome, it will be the Republican Party which will suffer the most.  The party as a whole has become more and more liberal.  It has made clear that true conservatives are no longer welcome.  There are plenty of disgruntled voters out there, so I see Republicans losing majorities in both houses of Congress.  When that happens, even if Trump wants to advance his agenda, such as nominating conservative justices to SCOTUS,  he won't get the approval of Congress  (not that I expect Trump to really keep any of his promises).  This will destroy the party as we know it.  In order to survive, the party will have to become even more liberal, and I can't see the US sustaining 2 liberal parties.  One will have to go, and that one will be the Republican Party.

The insurgent candidacies of Trump and Cruz arose because many people were fed up with voting for those we identified as Republicans In Name Only.  Republican primary voters chose populism over conservatism, and in so doing took a large step toward being Democrats In All But Name (sorry I guess DIABN is not a clever, pronounceable acronym).

If the country is given a choice between actual Democrats and pretend Democrats, it will choose actual Democrats more often than not.  I remain skeptical that Trump can overcome his long list of recognized shortcomings and win this election, but even if he does win, the Republican party has chosen to contract cancer in hopes that it might cure heart disease.

There is little remaining reason for the Republican party to exist.
James 1:20

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »
Obama wins twice and it's a sign of the coming Democratic supermajority.

The woman who loses to Obama in the primaries loses and it's supposed to be the end of all that.

No. The Democrats picked a weak candidate because it was her turn. It says nothing about this country's increasing tendency to want to be just like the rest of socialized Europe.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:28:38 pm »
Eh? How do you figure? Trump won biggest in the northeast.

He's trying to play the "all Trump opponents are leftist Democrats" card without being obvious about it.  It isn't working, of course.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
Like hell. If Hitlary loses, there still will be a Liberal Rat in the WH.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:32:13 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »
Hillary lose?  Election night is going to look like Night of the Living (Voting) Dead.  Let's put it this way, Democrats have raised more dead people that Jesus Christ.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »
The news the Democrats are conceding Ohio to Trump must be devastating to liberal #nevertrumps like John Kasich.  :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:20 pm »
By Michael Barone
September 23, 2016

Anti-Trump Republicans hope the Trump effect will just go away, and will note that a defeated Trump will not leave behind much in the nature of an institutional apparatus, as the defeated Barry Goldwater arguably did in 1964. But the argument for going back to pre-Trump positions is weakened by the fact that Republicans have lost four of the six presidential elections between 1992 and 2012.

But what if Hillary Clinton loses? The political map in that case will look quite different, with Democratic states confined to the Northeast, West Coast and a few splotches in between. The presidential Democratic Party, like the congressional Democratic Party, will be concentrated in heavily Democratic central cities, some sympathetic suburbs and scattered university towns.

The shock for Democrats if Clinton loses will likely be more severe than for Republicans if Trump loses.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/23/if-hillary-loses-democrats-face-a-long-time-in-exile/

That's the only thing I've read lately that makes me almost wish for a Trump victory.

But that's almost.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 05:32:52 pm »
That's the only thing I've read lately that makes me almost wish for a Trump victory.

But that's almost.

The letters R and D can battle it out, but they are both unacceptably leftist