Author Topic: 7 things you need to know before your child signs up for Instagram  (Read 640 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
7 things you need to know before your child signs up for Instagram
By : Morgan Jones Deseret News
Published Sept. 23, 2016
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/instagram_kids.php3#dtvkLM2M3rhO0xAa.99

Instagram is booming. It's simple to use and fun to keep up with. At face value, it seems incredibly harmless, and maybe even a safe site for kids. It is easy, private, and full of pictures! But, after a few years as an Instagrammer, I have decided that those feelings are fairly naive. Only you know what your children are mature enough to handle, but before you say yes (or even if you already have), here are a few things you need to think about before letting them set up their own Instagram account:
Direct Messaging: In the top right corner of the home screen, there is a little mailbox that holds all of your Instagram direct messages. This is where kids can send private pictures and messages to each other instead of posting them for the world to see. Why is this important? This is a hot spot for nude picture exchanges and requests. This is also a place where teens can have some pretty unsavory group conversations and where group bullying can happen. How can you stay aware? Many parents falsely think that as long as they are "following" their son or daughter that they see everything that they are posting, but that is not the case. Many teen exchanges happen through direct messages. You should check these regularly by jumping on their phone or logging into their account. Hopefully there are no surprises...
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0916/instagram_kids.php3#dtvkLM2M3rhO0xAa.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: 7 things you need to know before your child signs up for Instagram
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
I don't get these fads. Pretty sure if I can live without a cell phone, kids can get by without instafacetwittergram.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:38:18 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour