Author Topic: Maryland officials say state will miss deadline to set fracking rules, as push for a permanent ban begins  (Read 1392 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Maryland officials say state will miss deadline to set fracking rules, as push for a permanent ban begins

By Scott Dance The Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-fracking-update-20160918-story.html

State environmental regulators say they will not adopt rules to govern gas drilling in Western Maryland by Oct. 1, missing a legal deadline one year out from the expiration of the statewide ban on the controversial practice known as fracking.

While officials said regulations are still expected some time this fall, the delay means details of how the state would manage risks to groundwater and public health remain unclear as debate intensifies over whether and how safely hydraulic fracturing might occur in Maryland.

The gas-extraction technique, which involves injecting fluids into rock at high pressure, has been found to contaminate nearby water sources.

Advocates of fracking and opponents alike have been waiting for the...
(Emphasis mine)
Excerpt, more at:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-fracking-update-20160918-story.html

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:23:43 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

I took issue with the bolded text above, and sent the writer an email asking for instances where it had been shown that fracking had contaminated groundwater.

Apparently, Mr. Dance believes he need not reply, or more likely, he knows of none.

He may be contacted at:

sdance@baltsun.com

If you consider that his statement might not only be incorrect, but prejudicial toward an entire industry.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

I just sent him the link. Now he has no excuse.

He won't be confused by the facts though. His mind is made up and he will defend the narrative to the death.....

Offline thackney

I just sent him the link. Now he has no excuse.

I sent him a couple others.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer