Author Topic: TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 9-18-16  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 9-18-16
« on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:10 pm »

Welcome to the TBR Garden Thread for the week of September 18th, 2016! This is the thread for all things gardening....

I deeply apologize for letting the garden thread lapse. The last couple of months have been nearly perfect weather for the garden with all the rain and heat, and all the summer stuff just exploded. We've been putting stuff up like mad fools, and all the work left little time and energy for side projects.

We got things taken down last weekend and are now just waiting on the few things finishing up, plus a small fall garden of greens and roots. Now we are in fall cleanup mode to get things put away for winter.

[img width=100 align=top]http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2014/03/10/RosinaBloom/fec52c.jpg[/img]Crystal Apple Cucumber

Is the variety of the week. White cucumbers are some of the freshest and best tasting that can be grown. Crystal Apple is the Ferrari of white cucumbers. They have a very crisp, clean, juicy and creamy taste that is quite different than green cucumbers, perfect fresh for the table. Though not quite as prolific as some other whites, they are still a great producer. The  vines are a bit smaller and slower growning than others, and they don't seem to take over quite as much. If you like the best of fresh grown straight from the garden, Crystal Apple is right up there.

You can find it at Baker Creek, Burpee, and Seed Savers Exchange

I had promised to talk about grains this time, but I think I'm going to hold off till next week so I can do some research and give a better presentation after reading up. In the meantime I'll leave it to everyone to talk about their season and any tricks or things they've learned for next year, or anything else gardening related you'd like to put out there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:52:19 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Re: TBR Gardening Discussion Thread Week of 9-18-16
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:44:17 pm »
One thing I've had very good success with here is covering my overwintered garlic, shallots, and topset onions with a bit of straw (light enough to still see the ground underneath) covered by 3 or 4 mil sheet plastic, well anchored. It prevents heaving with cold weather and no snow, and gives things an early start in the spring.

3 years ago I nearly lost everything to a constant freeze/thaw cycle that occured all winter long. Decided from there to cover it and since have had nearly 100% germination in the spring and some great early crops.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:02:41 pm »
I'm still seeking a "final Solution" to my wild grape vine problem.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:58:00 pm »
I'm still seeking a "final Solution" to my wild grape vine problem.

I've heard Roundup will knock them out good, but never tried it.
The Republic is lost.