Author Topic: Preller, Padres learn the hard way about medical deception  (Read 2619 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Preller, Padres learn the hard way about medical deception
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:57 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2016/09/15/preller-padres-learn-the-hard-way-about-medical-deception/

It’s not nice to fool either Mother Nature or your trading partner. The Padres are learning that the hard way. General manager
A.J. Preller has been suspended for thirty days without pay for trying to fool the Red Sox at minimum. It may not stop there.

Allowing that docking a GM with a fortnight left in the regular season amounts almost to a slap on the wrist, baseball government
has sent a message: Deal straight, or we’ll straighten you out. This after a considerable probe into whether Preller and the Padres
played entirely straight when it came to medical information involving players it sought to trade.

Specifically, pitcher Drew Pomeranz, whom the Padres swapped to the Red Sox in mid-July, the run-up to the non-waiver trade
deadline, getting in return pitching prospect Anderson Espinoza.

The Red Sox only learned of medical preventative measures provided Pomeranz after the deal was made. Nobody’s saying just
what. Or, whether it involves followup maintenance to the non-throwing-hand fracture the lefthander suffered while pitching for
the Athletics in 2003—when he punched a wooden chair after the Rangers lit him up eight runs in three and two thirds innings.

But just before the non-waiver trade deadline, the Padres sent pitchers Colin Rea and Andrew Cashner to the Marlins for pitching
prospect Luis Castillo. And Rea’s first start for the Marlins was a disaster: he worked three and a third before leaving with elbow
stiffness. That’s when the Marlins learned Rea had been taking treatment on the elbow for weeks before the deal. Two days later,
baseball government swung Rea’s return to San Diego, forcing the Padres to surrender Castillo.

ESPN says “multiple sources” told the network the Padres kept two sets of player medical information: “one for industry consumption
and the other for the team’s internal use . . . Trainers were told in meetings during spring training that the distinction was meant to
better position the team for trades, according to two sources with direct knowledge of what was said.”

Preller’s suspension was Pomeranz-specific. (Pomeranz as a Red Sox cratered somewhat from the first half that got him onto the
National League’s All-Star team.) But the Red Sox, the Marlins, and the White Sox complained about the Padres’s apparent medical
information deception. And ESPN says a fourth team, unnamed, had similar complaints.

The better news is that we’ve come a very long way from the days when teams could trade the health compromised with impunity
and almost no consequences other than on the field for the hapless trading partners. One of the single most notorious trades of all
time, and certainly the most notorious in the history of the Cubs, might have been avoided otherwise.

Thinking themselves in need of pitching help pronto, the 1964 Cubs cast longing eyes upon Cardinals righthander Ernie Broglio.
What they saw: a righthander who’d led the National League in wins (tied with Hall of Famer Warren Spahn) in 1961, shook off a
couple of so-so seasons, won eighteen games in 1963 with a nifty 2.99 ERA, and looked like a classic change-of-scenery candidate
after starting 1964 3-5/3.50.

What they didn’t see and probably didn’t want to know: Broglio already had a compromised arm, probably abetted by his once-
monstrous curve ball. The Cubs couldn’t plead ignorance: two weeks before casting eyes upon Broglio, they dealt for another
Cardinal pitcher, Lew Burdette, who heard they were looking at Broglio and warned them the righthander was taking cortisone
shots in his pitching elbow.

The Cubs soured on young center fielder Lou Brock, who showed promise but had yet to live up to it. The Cardinals wanted Brock
despite a few reservations among the players at first. (“He was not a good fielder, he struck out a lot, and he didn’t know how to
run the bases,” said first baseman Bill White, words on which he’d have to dine hard in due course.) But then-Cubs general
manager John Holland pushed the hardest for the deal and got it.

Broglio turned out to have ulnar nerve damage for which he underwent surgery after the 1964 season. It didn’t help, in some
part because the righthander had been afraid—as many if not most players were in that time and place—to speak up for fear of
losing a job and tried pitching through it regardless. He’d spend three seasons with the Cubs and win eight games over the
three.

“Some [Hall of Famers] I played ball with,” Broglio said in recent years, “and some I helped put there.” Including, of course, Lou
Brock, whose path to the Hall of Fame only began with his helping those Cardinals to win a slightly surprising pennant on the
final weekend and an even more surprising (and thrilling) 1964 World Series.

On the other hand, one question is begged somewhat: What’s to stop a team from overloading medical treatment information on
a player for the aforesaid industry consumption . . . not because the player has health issues, but because the team in question
would like all other teams to keep their meathooks off their man?

Who’s to keep, say, the surprisingly resurgent Yankees from filling the industry consumption menu with just enough health
flags on, say, white-hot rookie Gary Sanchez (is it possible for a young man to be his league’s Rookie of the Year after playing in
maybe less than sixty games?), that it guarantees nobody can even think of touching their prize? Not even if they offer the moon,
the stars, and three Delta Quadrant planets?

Who’s to say the Orioles—enjoying the oddity of Mark Trumbo’s worst-of-all-time 42-plus-bomb season (Trumbo’s stats otherwise
resemble Dick Stuart and Dave Kingman more than David Ortiz)—haven’t loaded up the industry consumption health menu with
just enough red flags to keep Trumbo off the coming free agency market (the former Angel signed a one-year deal with the Orioles,
and you may rest assured some sucker will take those 40something home runs no matter how little comes along with them) and
leave them to sign him post haste?

It sounds far-fetched to some, and please bear in mind the foregoing is mere speculation. But when has there been a baseball
era in which at least a few owners didn’t indulge in a little trickery to grease their wheeling and dealing?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come to think of it, once upon a time in the 1980s, the Yankees were victimised by something similar to the Drew Pomeranz
situation. In 1985, the Yankees dealt for White Sox lefthanded pitcher Britt Burns---despite the Yankees' team physician John
Bonamo advising them not to make the deal: Burns had a congenital hip condition. When Bonamo advised George Steinbrenner
and his staff not to make the deal for that very reason, Steinbrenner snorted after Bonamo left the room, "What does he know
about baseball? He's a doctor. We're baseball men."

Sure enough, Burns broke down the following spring training and never pitched again. (Steinbrenner was fool enough to entertain
the idea of sending Burns for a hip replacement.) At that time, baseball still didn't have the medical information bank that got
A.J. Preller into hot water.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Re: Preller, Padres learn the hard way about medical deception
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »
That was informative, interesting and extremely well-written. Thanks. Some of the most interesting things about baseball are the back-stories (as Vin Scully fans will attest).

"Three Delta-quadrant planets". heh  ah goo d'wahn! Are you a writer by profession?

BTW, I once met the mother of a rookie big league pitcher (his name and  team he played for escape me) whose pitching arm had problems. The team physician told him that he didn't need surgery and that he should, "just pitch through it". The kid was smart and went to his own orthopedic physician instead of the one being paid by the team. His doctor looked at the information/x-rays and told him, "It is my professional opinion that you should tell your team's physician to take a flying leap at the moon. If you don't get the surgery, your career will be over permanently after one season (if you make it that far). Guaranteed. Don't be a fool, son. Tell them to p*** off!" The kid got the Tommy John surgery - missed the whole season but saved his arm and got traded, but with a good arm. And he apparently did tell his team physician and the executive who told him "not to worry about it" to "f" themselves (albeit politely).   

In light of the information in your fine post, it seems entirely likely that the team wanted him to pitch one or two games so that he could be traded and didn't care if they destroyed his career one bit.

That "corporatism" crap is disgusting. Human resources - more like human chattel. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:21:08 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
That was informative, interesting and extremely well-written. Thanks. Some of the most interesting things about baseball are the back-stories (as Vin Scully fans will attest).

You're welcome, and you're right.

"Three Delta-quadrant planets". heh  ah goo d'wahn! Are you a writer by profession?

Yes, I am.  :beer:

BTW, I once met the mother of a rookie big league pitcher (his name and  team he played for escape me) whose pitching arm had problems. The team physician told him that he didn't need surgery and that he should, "just pitch through it". The kid was smart and went to his own orthopedic physician instead of the one being paid by the team. His doctor looked at the information/x-rays and told him, "It is my professional opinion that you should tell your team's physician to take a flying leap at the moon. If you don't get the surgery, your career will be over permanently after one season (if you make it that far). Guaranteed. Don't be a fool, son. Tell them to p*** off!" The kid got the Tommy John surgery - missed the whole season but saved his arm and got traded, but with a good arm. And he apparently did tell his team physician and the executive who told him "not to worry about it" to "f" themselves (albeit politely).   

In light of the information in your fine post, it seems entirely likely that the team wanted him to pitch one or two games so that he could be traded and didn't care if they destroyed his career one bit.

Makes sad sense.

That "corporatism" crap is disgusting. Human resources - more like human chattel.

I never did like the phrase "human resources." Makes us sound like machinery.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:23:56 pm »

A little trivia about Lou Brock as a Cub: Power hitting may not have been part of his A game, but
in 1962 he did accomplish something only two men before him had ever done: he hit a home
run (against the embryonic Mets) in the Polo Grounds that landed in the bleachers behind the
right side split of the center field fence---460 feet from home plate. (If you remember the Polo
Grounds, it had the shortest foul lines but the deepest center field in baseball during its lifetime,
with center field bisected by a patch about twenty feet further out above which sat the structure
that contained the clubhouses and the team offices above them.)

Brock was actually unaware of his feat---he thought the second base umpire giving the traditional
home run signal was indicating to him that he had a chance for an inside-the-park homer (with
his speed, he probably would have had one if the ball had landed before the fence or banged off
it)---until he was mobbed by teammates upon completing his circuit and Ron Santo hollered to
him, Did you see where that ball went? Man, I needed binoculars!

Prior to Brock, only Luke Easter (1948, in a Negro Leagues game) and Joe Adcock (Milwaukee
Braves, 1953) had ever hit homers that far in that ballpark.

The next night, the Braves came to town to play the Mets. And Hank Aaron hit one to just
about the same spot Brock reached.

In case you (or anyone else) didn't remember, here's a look at the Polo Grounds from the air,
just to give you an idea of how freakish Brock's homer really was (the Polo Grounds is lower
left; across the Harlem River you'll see old Yankee Stadium):

Other views:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:33:47 pm by EasyAce »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:02 pm »
I never did like the phrase "human resources." Makes us sound like machinery.

heh heh indeed it does, Maestro!

BTW, have you ever read Arthur Koestler's "Ghost in the Machine"? That is one King Hell of a book. Nobody skewers Communism, "scientific" collectivism and "group-think" quite like an ex-Commie, eh? I'd put that book right up there with Buckminster Fuller's "Critical Path" in terms of nailing multinational reptiles, greenhead corporatists and vile, purchasable government goons to the wall "bleeding from every extremity".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:37:08 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:37:59 pm »
heh heh indeed it does, Maestro!

BTW, have you ever read Arthur Koestler's "Ghost in the Machine"? That is one King Hell of a book. Nobody skewers Communism, collectivism and "group-think" quite like an ex-Commie, eh? I'd put that book right up there with Buckminster Fuller's "Critical Path in terms of nailing multinational, corporatists and government goons to the wall "bleeding from every extremity".

I read Ghost plus his two-volume memoir (Arrow in the Blue, The Invisible Writing) and, of course, Darkness at Noon.
They were eye-openers when I first read them and remain so.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:39:26 pm by EasyAce »