Author Topic: Scientists say drop "five second rule" for food on floor  (Read 1815 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Scientists say drop "five second rule" for food on floor
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »
Link only, can't copy anything from there...

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/09/14/Scientists-say-drop-five-second-rule-for-food-on-floor/4091473865141/?sn=hn

I'm an avid practitioner of the 5 second rule...depending on whether or not I see anything stuck to the food that hit the floor or if the dogs get to it first... :tongue2:

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Scientists say drop "five second rule" for food on floor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:40:21 pm »
Our dog is pretty smart. If I drop something she will come stare at it for a couple seconds and if I don't grab it then she goes for it. It hasn't killed me yet I don't plan to change.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:27 pm »
I'll take my chances on keeping the 5 second rule sacred in my house rather than read this:

ABSTRACT

Bacterial cross-contamination from surfaces to food can contribute to foodborne disease. The cross-contamination rate of Enterobacter aerogenes was evaluated on household surfaces using scenarios that differed by surface type, food type, contact time (<1, 5, 30 and 300 s), and inoculum matrix (tryptic soy broth or peptone buffer). The surfaces used were stainless steel, tile, wood and carpet. The food types were watermelon, bread, bread with butter and gummy candy. Surfaces (25 cm2) were spot inoculated with 1 ml of inoculum and allowed to dry for 5 h, yielding an approximate concentration of 107 CFU/surface. Foods (with 16 cm2 contact area) were dropped on the surfaces from a height of 12.5 cm and left to rest as appropriate. Post transfer surfaces and foods were placed in sterile filter bags and homogenized or massaged, diluted and plated on tryptic soy agar. The transfer rate was quantified as the log % transfer from the surface to the food. Contact time, food and surface type all had a highly significant effect (P<0.000001) on log % transfer of bacteria. The inoculum matrix (TSB or peptone buffer) also had a significant effect on transfer (P = 0.013), and most interaction terms were significant. More bacteria transferred to watermelon (∼0.2-97%) relative to other foods, while fewer bacteria transferred to gummy candy (∼0.1-62%). Transfer of bacteria to bread (∼0.02-94%) and bread with butter (∼0.02-82%) were similar, and transfer rates under a given set of condition were more variable compared with watermelon and gummy candy.

http://aem.asm.org/content/early/2016/08/15/AEM.01838-16

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:02:04 am »
Link only, can't copy anything from there...

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/09/14/Scientists-say-drop-five-second-rule-for-food-on-floor/4091473865141/?sn=hn

I'm an avid practitioner of the 5 second rule...depending on whether or not I see anything stuck to the food that hit the floor or if the dogs get to it first... :tongue2:

I eat so much dirty sawdust at work I don't really have a five second rule. If I drop something and it gets so coated I can't see it, the floor can have it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:43:37 am »

Yup... Gotta be quicker than 5 seconds - Whenever I am in the kitchen, Chewy is on patrol and fully alert.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:44:18 am »

How else are you going to get your USRDA for dirt?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:44:50 am by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 02:00:58 pm »
Yup... Gotta be quicker than 5 seconds - Whenever I am in the kitchen, Chewy is on patrol and fully alert.

Same with the two rotten animals we have....

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »
How else are you going to get your USRDA for dirt?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »

Now that is bad. When you have to bail out of the outhouse to throw up.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:27:28 pm »
Now that is bad. When you have to bail out of the outhouse to throw up.

Having had occasion to witness what lurks in the blue 'waters' of your average construction site green-room - I can guarantee that 'going outside to throw up' is eminently preferable...

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 05:02:32 pm »
We have a dog and a cat as well. Both are chow hounds. Nothing dropped ever lasts five seconds.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 05:25:51 pm »
I eat so much dirty sawdust at work I don't really have a five second rule. If I drop something and it gets so coated I can't see it, the floor can have it.

One of my clients has a business which repairs sewage pumps.  The women who works there said guys are so used to the poop covered pumps she sees the employees eating sandwiches and potato chips with their dirty hands while rebuilding them.

@bigheadfred

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
One of my clients has a business which repairs sewage pumps.  The women who works there said guys are so used to the poop covered pumps she sees the employees eating sandwiches and potato chips with their dirty hands while rebuilding them.

@bigheadfred

I guess some people really are tougher than ..,

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 05:41:00 pm »

@Idaho_Cowboy

One must also take into account the INTENTIONAL drop.