Author Topic: Lesbian athlete ‘thinking about euthanasia’ after Rio Paralympics  (Read 1630 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
One can read the article; it is this athlete who is going through this degenerative disease. Curious situation.

Lesbian athlete ‘thinking about euthanasia’ after Rio Paralympics

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil, September 8, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) — A lesbian Belgian athlete competing in this month’s Paralympics in Rio is considering euthanasia when the Games are over.

Wheelchair racer Marieke Vervoort, 37, has identified herself as a lesbian and suffers from a degenerative spinal disease. She has been in a wheelchair since 2000. Vervoort won gold and silver medals in sprints at the 2012 Paralympic Games.

She told RTL radio, “I will stop my career after Rio. After, we shall see what life brings for me. … I started thinking about euthanasia.”

Rio is her “last wish,” she said.

Vervoort told a French newspaper that “nobody sees the dark side” of her life and suffering caused by her disease.

Read More At: https://www.lifesitenews.com/pulse/lesbian-athlete-thinking-about-euthanasia-after-rio-paralympics

I hope somehow she can find hope and care to continue to live.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Lesbian athlete ‘thinking about euthanasia’ after Rio Paralympics
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »
One can read the article; it is this athlete who is going through this degenerative disease. Curious situation.

Having the euthanasia option is what is giving her the strength to live.  This is a lot more common than most people realize.  When people fear losing that control, they often take their lives before it can happen. 

Paralympics 2016: Euthanasia option gives Marieke Vervoort control
By Flora Charner, for CNN
Updated 2059 GMT (0459 HKT) September 12, 2016

Rio de Janeiro (CNN) — For Marieke Vervoort, the power to take her own life is really what's keeping her alive.

The 37-year-old wheelchair racer lives with a degenerative spinal condition that can make sleeping and eating impossible, and causes so much pain that she received assisted suicide approval in her native Belgium in 2008.

But rather than ending her life -- as some reports had suggested she was ready to do after the Rio Paralympics -- the ability to control her own destiny has empowered her to compete at the highest level.

"If I didn't have the papers, I think I would have already committed suicide," Vervoort told reporters at a crowded media conference following her silver medal 400-meter finish in the T-52 category over the weekend.

Excerpt... Read more at http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/12/sport/paralympics-marieke-vervoort-wheelchair-athlete-reflects-on-euthanasia-option/

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »
Having the euthanasia option is what is giving her the strength to live.  This is a lot more common than most people realize.  When people fear losing that control, they often take their lives before it can happen. 

@Suppressed

The people who fear losing control need to realize that they aren't primarily in control in the first place. God is.

Sure, we can take temporary control from God with our selfish decisions, like choosing homosexuality over the gender role God assigned you, but it just puts you in a place incompatible with Heaven, especially if you are prideful enough to think your finite control in the temporal world is significant compared to God's infinite control of the Eternal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:29:39 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:43:39 pm »

Back pushing another liberal agenda item?

If she's so sick that she's considering suicide how is she able to compete at ANY level let alone at the paraolympics?

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:45:26 pm »
@Suppressed

The people who fear losing control need to realize that they aren't primarily in control in the first place. God is.

Sure, we can take temporary control from God with our selfish decisions, like choosing homosexuality over the gender role God assigned you, but it just puts you in a place incompatible with Heaven, especially if you are prideful enough to think your finite control in the temporal world is significant compared to God's infinite control of the Eternal.

For some people its not about control.  Its about living with a terrible disease where every moment is torture.   Those folks usually aren't able to compete in events like this.   She must be really strong.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.