Author Topic: The Impossible Propulsion Drive Is Heading to Space  (Read 3094 times)

Offline kevindavis007

The Impossible Propulsion Drive Is Heading to Space
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:42:34 pm »

Enough argument. It's time to actually test this crazy thing.

The EmDrive, a hypothetical miracle propulsion system for outer space, has been sparking heated arguments for years. Now, Guido Fetta plans to settle the argument about reactionless space drives for once and for all by sending one into space to prove that it really generates thrust without exhaust.

Even if mainstream scientists say this is impossible.

Fetta is CEO of Cannae Inc, and inventor of the Cannae Drive. His creation is related to the EmDrive first demonstrated by British engineer Roger Shawyer in 2003. Both are closed systems filled with microwaves with no exhaust, yet which the inventors claim do produce thrust. There is no accepted theory of how this might work. Shawyer claims that relativistic effects produce different radiation pressures at the two ends of the drive, leading to a net force. Fetta pursues a similar idea involving Lorentz (electromagnetic) forces. NASA researchers have suggested that the drive is actually pushing against "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" of particles that shift in and out of existence.

Most physicists believe these far-out systems cannot work and that their potential benefits, such as getting to Mars in ten weeks, are illusory. After all, the law of conservation of momentum says that a rocket cannot accelerate forward without some form of exhaust ejected backwards. Yet the drumbeat goes on. Just last month, Jose Rodal claimed on the NASA Spaceflight forum that a NASA paper, "Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio Frequency Cavity in Vacuum" has finally been peer-reviewed and accepted for publication by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, but this cannot be confirmed yet.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2016/09/the-impossible-propulsion-drive-is.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online dfwgator

Re: The Impossible Propulsion Drive Is Heading to Space
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:55 pm »
Sounds like the Infinite Improbability Drive....

Then, one day, a student who had been left to sweep up after a particularly unsuccessful party found himself reasoning in this way: If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, it must have finite improbability. So all I have to do in order to make one is to work out how exactly improbable it is, feed that figure into the finite improbability generator, give it a fresh cup of really hot tea... and turn it on!

He did this and was rather startled when he managed to create the long sought after golden Infinite Improbability generator. He was even more startled when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he was lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had realized that one thing they couldn't stand was a smart-arse.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »
I'm actually quite excited by this. Unlike the LENR, this one is not shrouded in any secrecy. Just about everything is out there - to the point where people are building them and testing them in garages.

I believe there is something here. I'm particularly fond of the Unruh radiation theory, as I think they are getting onto something!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:24:43 pm »
I'm actually quite excited by this. Unlike the LENR, this one is not shrouded in any secrecy. Just about everything is out there - to the point where people are building them and testing them in garages.

I believe there is something here. I'm particularly fond of the Unruh radiation theory, as I think they are getting onto something!

I think so as well..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:00:32 am »
Beans. Beans is what they need.

Beans and matches.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:45:00 am »
Just last month, Jose Rodal claimed on the NASA Spaceflight forum that a NASA paper, "Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio Frequency Cavity in Vacuum" has finally been peer-reviewed and accepted for publication by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, but this cannot be confirmed yet.

Peer review of a paper is one thing, experimental proof is quite another.  It would be surprising that AIAA would be first to publish something so ... physics-y, even if it is Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
Peer review of a paper is one thing, experimental proof is quite another.  It would be surprising that AIAA would be first to publish something so ... physics-y, even if it is Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets.

I prefer to see experimental proof, but I'm not a scientist..

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:09:32 pm »
Seems that on one of the science shows I watched they said it had been tested in a lab in Britain.

The unit did show propulsion but it left them scratching their heads because it always showed propulsion in one direction no matter which way they rotated the unit. One theory was that there was some kind of interaction with gravity which in itself would be earthshaking.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:59 pm »
Sounds like the Infinite Improbability Drive....

Then, one day, a student who had been left to sweep up after a particularly unsuccessful party found himself reasoning in this way: If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, it must have finite improbability. So all I have to do in order to make one is to work out how exactly improbable it is, feed that figure into the finite improbability generator, give it a fresh cup of really hot tea... and turn it on!

He did this and was rather startled when he managed to create the long sought after golden Infinite Improbability generator. He was even more startled when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he was lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had realized that one thing they couldn't stand was a smart-arse.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

geronl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 02:05:15 pm »
This is a good thing. We need to find out if it works!

If it does work.... Nerdtopia!  Just kidding, I want it to work.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »
Seems that on one of the science shows I watched they said it had been tested in a lab in Britain.

The unit did show propulsion but it left them scratching their heads because it always showed propulsion in one direction no matter which way they rotated the unit. One theory was that there was some kind of interaction with gravity which in itself would be earthshaking.

This is what I believe - that it is a gravitational effect. I believe that it is bending space in such a way to create "new" inertia, i.e. propulsion.

Also, I believe they have now shown that flipping the unit results in reverse thrust.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:03 pm »

Also, I believe they have now shown that flipping the unit results in reverse thrust.

Even if it did not, moving toward a new planetary body would have the same effect as braking. Or something.

Offline kevindavis007