Author Topic: Scientists may have just found proof of a parallel universe leaking into our own  (Read 5591 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The concept of a parallel universe is well-trodden territory in science fiction (See: The CW’s Flash for a recent example), but scientists might’ve just spotted some legitimate proof of the multiverse — and it looks like it’s leaking into ours.

As Inverse reports, the Planck telescope has been mapping the cosmic microwave background (CMB) leftover from the early days of the universe. Turns out, it might’ve found something of cosmic importance. Caltech cosmologist Ranga-Ram Chary compared the CMB map with a shot of the night sky captured by the Planck telescope. The effort spotted a patch of light 4,500 times brighter than it should be.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-5/scientists-may-have-just-found-proof-parallel-universe-leaking-our-own?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57cc6f3204d3016cc1602bf2&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Offline andy58-in-nh

If Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are considered as leaders in the alternative universe, that would explain a lot.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Quick someone call Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, they have experience with other dimensions, maybe they can stop this other universe from taking a leak on us.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Quick someone call Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, they have experience with other dimensions, maybe they can stop this other universe from taking a leak on us.
Maybe they can take Michelle Bigbootie and the skinny guy back with them, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Maybe they can take Michelle Bigbootie and the skinny guy back with them, too.
It's Big Bootay, BIG BOOOTAAAY !

Online Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

If Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are considered as leaders in the alternative universe, that would explain a lot.

Bizarro world

Offline r9etb

:silly:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Yep. Open those portals CERN. Do you know what the key to the bottomless pit is AbaraXas? Does anyone know?

Hey! I've got a really good idea. Let's hit the God particle with everything we've got and see if we can break it. What's the harm?

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Yep. Open those portals CERN. Do you know what the key to the bottomless pit is AbaraXas? Does anyone know?

Hey! I've got a really good idea. Let's hit the God particle with everything we've got and see if we can break it. What's the harm?

That's actually not funny. I am no great fan of Carl Sagan's politics, but he had an interesting solution to the Fermi Paradox (The question; If there should be other sentient technological civilizations out there capable of communicating across interstellar space, why haven't we heard from them?) Sagan's answer was what he called the Shiny Red Button hypothesis. That is, every technological civilization that enters a high-tech age (of computers, sub-atomic, high energy / quantum physics) encounter some avenue of research and experimentation that is too irresistible to ignore - so they can never avoid tinkering with it - bringing catastrophic results for their race.

One candidate for that may be the remaining mysterious force, Gravity. When we detonated the first atomic bombs, there was  roughly a 3% chance calculated that the blast would ignite the oxygen in the atmosphere causing a catastrophic event that would destroy Humanity. The physicists and politicians figured that risk was smaller than that of allowing the Axis to potentially win the war, so they went ahead with detonation and the rest is history.

We know a lot less about the force of gravity in a quantum sense than we did about sub-atomic nuclei in 1945, yet we continue to study and experiment with gravity and there have been successful experiments (with more planned) to tweak gravity using massive EM fields and other exotic techniques to generate modifications to gravity waves.

The Sun is held in stasis by gravity. If it were to have the gravity along the surface weakened by only 1/1000 th of 1% over an area of a single square mile, it is likely that it would explode and destroy the entire inner solar system including Earth. There is risk involved in tinkering around with elementary forces like Gravity that are not fully understood.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:02:05 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
That's actually not funny..

That actually wasn't meant to be funny. Too few truly comprehend what you posted.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

That actually wasn't meant to be funny. Too few truly comprehend what you posted.
Well, I got it.

I was nearly kicked out of a college physics class for asking (after class was over) about the velocity of gravity. (If E=mc^2, then the mass of a star changes as it releases energy, so the gravitational force exerted by the star would be reduced as well. How long would it take for that change to be felt at a distant point in space? the answer was "It would be instantaneous", to which I mused "But that would make gravity faster than light." The reply: "Bring this up again and I will flunk you, no matter what grade you have." I had a high B, and needed to maintain GPA to keep my NSF grant going...

Relatively small peturbations in the fabric of a star might not cause explosion, but the CME could be a game-ender.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
... the CME could be a game-ender.

There is probably a good reason parents tell their kids to get out of the road.  Or you could duck. (Ha! Missed me.)

Online Smokin Joe

There is probably a good reason parents tell their kids to get out of the road.  Or you could duck. (Ha! Missed me.)

Oh, look! Twins! they have the cutest little eyes, all eight of them...

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I see you've heard about CERN too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline MajorClay

Proof of our universe leaking into theirs is the missing sock in the dryer.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I got it. And I thank you all for posting this fascinating story.

I almost missed it. Wish we had an astronomy ping.

@Hopalong Ginsberg  check out this article!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:18:14 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

@Smokin Joe @Free Vulcan

And here I always thought that missing sock was something I had to give up for lint.   :silly:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Smokin Joe @Free Vulcan

And here I always thought that missing sock was something I had to give up for lint.   :silly:

@bigheadfred
I can't find a "bravo" emoji, so here's the next best thing.  :beer:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:26:27 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

I wonder how many philanderers are going to blame the stray articles of women's underthings found in the odd spot in the vehicle on leakage from a parallel universe now that the topic has been breached?

"Honest, Maude, there was this big light in the sky, and just as I was passing inspiration point the engine conked out and the windows fogged over and I got this funny tingling all over....Next thing I knew, I was driving down the highway..."

uh huh.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe @Free Vulcan

That's so bad it's good. Touche!

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

Well, I got it.

I was nearly kicked out of a college physics class for asking (after class was over) about the velocity of gravity. (If E=mc^2, then the mass of a star changes as it releases energy, so the gravitational force exerted by the star would be reduced as well. How long would it take for that change to be felt at a distant point in space? the answer was "It would be instantaneous", to which I mused "But that would make gravity faster than light." The reply: "Bring this up again and I will flunk you, no matter what grade you have." I had a high B, and needed to maintain GPA to keep my NSF grant going...

Relatively small peturbations in the fabric of a star might not cause explosion, but the CME could be a game-ender.

The quick and dirty is that changes in gravity will affect things faster than light.  For it isn't light... which travels through space.  What gravity does is effect the spacetime continuum itself (the medium through which light travels).

Oceander

Changes in gravity cannot propagate faster than light.  If they could, then gravitational waves could be used for superluminal communication, which would, I believe, raise a number of ugly paradoxes.

Also, while light moves through space, it does so in much the way that other physical bodies do; space is not a "medium" for light the way, for example, that air or water are a medium for sound.

HonestJohn

Changes in gravity cannot propagate faster than light.  If they could, then gravitational waves could be used for superluminal communication, which would, I believe, raise a number of ugly paradoxes.

Also, while light moves through space, it does so in much the way that other physical bodies do; space is not a "medium" for light the way, for example, that air or water are a medium for sound.

Yes, gravity could be used to communicate faster than light if we could find a way to do so.

That was actually part of the story to Interstellar.  How Cooper could communicate with Murph via the manipulation of gravity while he was in the middle of the black hole.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:07:36 am by HonestJohn »

Oceander

Yes, gravity could be used to communicate faster than light if we could find a way to do so.

That was actually part of the story to Interstellar.  How Cooper could communicate with Murph via the manipulation of gravity while he was in the middle of the black hole.

Gravitational changes cannot propagate faster than light.  The speed of light is a structural component of the space time continuum.