Author Topic: When Global Oil Prices Tanked, Shale Oil Production Didn't. Here's Why.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline thackney

When Global Oil Prices Tanked, Shale Oil Production Didn't. Here's Why.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ucenergy/2016/08/31/when-global-oil-prices-tanked-shale-oil-production-didnt-heres-why/#2676a33bcae8

...First, as oil prices fell, so did the costs of drilling and completion services—more than 30% from the last quarter of 2014 to the first quarter of 2016. Because of this steep drop in costs, wells that would have been only marginally profitable in late 2014 could still be profitable in early 2016. Much of this decline in the price of drilling and completion services can be rationalized simply by supply and demand.  When oil prices fell, shale producers had the ability to drive a harder bargain with their suppliers.  After all, there was less of a “pie” to share in those negotiations, and there were fewer customers for oilfield service contractors to negotiate with.  Thus, even without changing operating procedures or drilling locations, shale producers were partially insured against lower oil prices by a fall in the costs they faced.

Second, the engineering properties of shale wells mean that “breakeven” price calculations can be misleading about the profitability of new wells in a different oil price environment. While the development costs of conventional oil wells are mostly fixed in the form of drilling an expensive hole in the right place, more than half of the cost of developing a shale well lies in the complicated hydraulic fracturing treatment that producers must employ to make these wells productive.  There is now long-standing evidence that more aggressive treatments generate more oil production.  But since more aggressive treatments are more expensive, shale producers must solve a cost-benefit tradeoff: how much “fracking” maximizes the profits of a given well?

As we learn in Economics 101, the solution depends on both the price of output (oil) and the price of inputs (completion services).  As oil prices fall, it is economically rational for shale producers to reduce the scale of their hydraulic fracturing treatments, because the marginal amount of oil generated by a marginal increase in the scale of the fracking treatment is less valuable than the cost of the treatment.  Similarly, as service costs fall, it is rational to increase the scale of fracking treatments.  Thus, a “break-even” price, often calculated as yesterday’s costs per well divided by yesterday’s expected production per well, will overstate the true price at which a shale producer would prefer to stop drilling completely.

Finally, shale producers are learning how to get greater bang for their buck out of drilling operations. As my colleague Sam Ori pointed out in an earlier post, producers have substantially increased the of total oil recovered in a typical well—from about 5% of the original oil in place to more than 12%. BP’s Chief Economist Spencer Dale predicts a 25% recovery factor might even be conservative five years from now. My research about the technical progress of hydraulic fracturing in the Bakken Shale of North Dakota shows that this is mostly explained by learning....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: When Global Oil Prices Tanked, Shale Oil Production Didn't. Here's Why.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »
Note: Although oil from shale areas did not at first start dropping with the price, it is now. 

The 3 top oil producing regions are the Bakken, Eagle Ford and the Permian Basin.

For the past 6 months, the Bakken has averaged 3.0% a month drop in total production.  Eagle Ford is dropping 4.6% a month for the same period.  The Permian Basin was slow to rise compared to those two and is also slow to drop.  It is averaging a 0.3% drop per month in the last six months.

Taken together, these three plays have dropped 560,000 barrels a day in production over the last six months.  This is a 12.6% drop in production over 12 months.

More data and charts are available at:
http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/drilling/

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
I agree with the first two assumptions of effect from costs.

The third I do not agree with necessarily as it shows the per well productivity gains of the last two years.

What is missing is that during this time a huge drop in the overall number of wells being completed occurred.

When the prices fell, companies retracted their expansive programs and instead concentrated on the very best core areas - so naturally the per well gains would occur.  It is somewhat misleading for the author to characterize these gains due to effects of completion strategies.

Full disclosure:  I had to find someway to overcome that graph as, since I retired in 2014, it made it seem that the industry was waiting to get rid of me in the Bakken in order to be more productive, and I couldn't let @Smokin Joe get all the credit :patriot:
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »

Full disclosure:  I had to find someway to overcome that graph as, since I retired in 2014, it made it seem that the industry was waiting to get rid of me in the Bakken in order to be more productive, and I couldn't let @Smokin Joe get all the credit :patriot:
ROTFLMAO! It's okay I'll share!  :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 02:50:16 pm »
Will Bakken ever get back to one million barrels of oil per day?
70% depletion in year one is severe.

Only 28 wells currently drilling in Bakken.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:26:53 pm »
Will Bakken ever get back to one million barrels of oil per day?
70% depletion in year one is severe.

Only 28 wells currently drilling in Bakken.
IF/when it is completed, the Dakota access pipeline will add 470,000 BOPD of takeaway capacity at a savings of $4 a barrel or more over rail shipment. There are a lot of DUC wells at the moment, too, and when prices go back up or the pipeline is completed, I think we'll see that go back up. The 70% depletion curve is the reduction in BOPD production in the first two years. The curve flattens out significantly without a re-frac, usually leveling out at 20-25% of IP. That means, in a boom over 10 years old, that 80% of the wells are already past that steep depletion curve.  The decline should inflect or have inflected as the wells in the steep part of the curve level off.

When the incentive is there, the wells will be completed and drilling will pick up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:23 pm »
The curve flattens out significantly without a re-frac, usually leveling out at 20-25% of IP.

I haven't noticed all that many refracs going on.

Have you?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 05:03:14 pm »
I haven't noticed all that many refracs going on.

Have you?
Not at this time. Put the price back over 100, and I would wager the economics will work out on that. At these prices, the cost benefit analysis would probably not work out, unless a core area well was really underperforming.

C S Lewis