Author Topic: Revealed: How the U.S. Air Force Almost Brought Back the P-51 Mustang  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Revealed: How the U.S. Air Force Almost Brought Back the P-51 Mustang
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/revealed-how-the-us-air-force-almost-brought-back-the-p-51-17525

The North American P-51 Mustang was one of the greatest fighters of World War II.

Had life worked out differently, the Mustang could also have fought in Vietnam and flown against a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. In fact, it might even have replaced the A-10 Warthog.

The Piper PA-48 Enforcer was a modernized version of the P-51. It was the brainchild of David Lindsay, founder of manufacturer Cavalier Aircraft, who bought the rights to the Mustang in 1956.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Revealed: How the U.S. Air Force Almost Brought Back the P-51 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:49 am »
Chuck Yeager called it one of the finest planes ever made.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:11:23 am »
Before air shows were regulated almost out of existence, I was at a air  show mid 80's.

The announcer said the P-51 was 20 miles away and what seemed like a only few minutes he flew overhead maybe 40 feet off the runway and overtop the crowd at approx 400-450 mph. Do that today and your pilots license would be pulled.

The vibration was so strong your feet was bouncing on the ground or at least it felt like it.

Late  in the day my brother and I and two friend were offered a ride in a B-25 for $50 each but we had no money right out of college - I was a $200 week millionaire and he was just married .

They guy came back and said $40.00 each.  he only had  a few people and wanted more heads to make it worthwhile to take the plane up.

MY brother and I still kick ourselves to this day
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:12:32 am by mirraflake »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:14:18 am »
Chuck Yeager called it one of the finest planes ever made.

Also, one of the most beautiful. My dad (USAF 1951-53) loved it.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:19:08 am »
@mirraflake

At the Yankee Air Museum here in Michigan you can get rides in a few planes. (They ain't cheap)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkfBZgPnQI

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/book-a-flight-experience/

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:30:07 am »
The airshow was in Michigan.   

Maybe the same B-25. My brother lived in Lansing. Not sure which airport but it was not  a big place.   If I  recall seemed more like a small community freight type airport-not for passengers.  I did not live in Michigan was just visiting. This would have been '84 because that is when I was out of college.

My brother now lives in Howell. Going there in two weeks for a visit.

@Cripplecreek
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:30:52 am by mirraflake »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:33:11 am »
The airshow was in Michigan.   

Maybe the same B-25. My brother lived in Lansing. Not sure which airport but it was not  a big place.   If I  recall seemed more like a small community freight type airport-not for passengers.  I did not live in Michigan was just visiting. This would have been '84 because that is when I was out of college.

My brother now lives in Howell. Going there in two weeks for a visit.

@Cripplecreek

The museum is at Willow Run which is a big place but the planes fly out of other airfields as well.