Author Topic: Free Republic regrets?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Free Republic regrets?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 09:57:54 pm »
...and just to add a bit to my last comment to AC...

I understand that is why passions are so high and divisions are so deep. You do see this as a revolution, a people's revolution, and you see yourself as a revolutionary in that..

...but you should understand, with the same passion you see this as a revolution, many of us see it as a con job. We see this like we see a friend who is out of work being manipulated into buying into a MLM. Worse, but probably closer, we see this similar to what I saw on a friends Facebook account last week when he announced he had cancer. He actually had people popping up trying to sell him essential oils, alkaline water, or other pseudoscience woo.

That's how we see it, so of course, we are going to have just as much passion opposing the con job as you have passion supporting the revolution.

HonestJohn

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »
You're either for us or 'agin us.

As Rooster Cogburn said to Ned Pepper: "Which'll it be?"

No, this was a visual representation of Franklin's quote:

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

It was not 'with us or against us'.

It showed that our Founding Fathers had to stand together or the King of England would have them killed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:39:59 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
Revolutions are funny things.  Generally speaking, they occur because some sufficient number of people have legitimate complaints, and have finally had enough of the current regime.  Thus, the French Revolution, in which the aristocracy lived very high on the hog at crushing expense and injustice to the peasantry -- this is the usual dynamic.

What set our revolution apart from the others, is three things:

First, the Americans of the time were John Adams' "moral and religious people," and as individuals they were highly self-sufficient -- a combination that leads to a good deal of common sense and responsible action.

Second, the revolution came about as Britain tried to reassert its authority over the colonies, which had in large part been self-governing for decades during the English Civil War and the unrest that followed.  It wasn't really a "revolution" in the same sense as the French Revolution -- it was more an armed consummation of a long-existing state of affairs.  The American colonists figured they could do a better job themselves.  But a large number of loyalists were left out in the cold....

And third, Americans had (and took) the option of moving west -- there wasn't the same "pressure cooker" dynamic as occurred in densely-populated and confined France.

Trump's approach is far more similar to the French revolution -- his demagoguery is aimed at inflaming the pre-existing frustrations of a particular segment of the population.

But I think Trump is running on several themes which conservatives/Republicans have been asking for, for years. Non-violent revolution:

1. Stronger border security.
2. Fewer refugee type immigrants.
3. Economic common sense, regarding trade. Fair trade, instead of Free Trade as it has been implemented lately.
4. Americans first, before illegal immigrants, refugees, etc.
5. Supreme Court not going further left.
6. Stop sanctuary cities.
7. Peace through strength.

So along he comes, with policies many have asked for, and since they don't like his personality, or don't like every aspect of his life history, they mentally shut down like sniveling infants and throw tantrums.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 11:30:36 pm »
He has lost a great deal more than than he will EVER realize! That place was a bastion of conservative thought on the internet at one time and HE has allowed it ALL to be frittered away!

Allowed?   Nay he encouraged it.   He poured gasoline on it and handed out matches.  He and many others there have forsaken everything they once claimed to believe.  Now they push a totalitarian state and want dissenters to die.   THAT is un-American.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:43 pm »
You're either for us or 'agin us.

As Rooster Cogburn said to Ned Pepper: "Which'll it be?"

I'm against a totalitarian state.  You want me to die, bring it on sport.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 12:34:54 am »
So along he comes, with policies many have asked for, and since they don't like his personality, or don't like every aspect of his life history, they mentally shut down like sniveling infants and throw tantrums.

Oh, pooh.  Trump doesn't even mean what he's saying -- he's a narcissist and a demagogue, and will say whatever it takes to keep his supporters in line.... until he can say anything at all, and his supporters will still support him.

And don't you dare talk to us about sniveling infants throwing tantrums -- that's you and your pals.