Author Topic: A Modest Proposal for Mr. Trump (Exclusive to TBR)  (Read 7865 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
A Modest Proposal for Mr. Trump (Exclusive to TBR)
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:47:57 pm »
A Modest Proposal for Mr. Trump

Victor J. Massad

Dear The Donald:

Can I call you that, sir?  You and I have had a relationship for many years, though you do not know it.  You, sir, have occupied a place in my head where I keep the darkest part of myself – the part I have tried to avoid thinking about for most of my adult life -- because to acknowledge its existence might reveal that the philosophy that has guided me to this point is deeply flawed.

I have a policy suggestion that might help you win the presidency.  You can imagine how conflicted I am.  Do I reveal it?  And what if I am right, and by some miracle you get wind of it, and you use it and end up winning?  And what if my intuition about you is also right?

Please bear with me here, because I am bearing my very soul.  You see, for over 35 years now, I have been pursuing the “American Dream” in the certainty that the best thing I can do for my country, my community, my church and my family is to be a success myself.  And, at the risk of sounding boastful, I have succeeded, although not in comparison to you.  But at least I will have no financial burdens for the rest of my life, and for that I am grateful.  I believe I owe my limited success to the fact that, early in life, I was exposed to the thinking of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman and other libertarian thinkers who taught me to respect and trust self-interest as a force for good, and to question collectivism as a force for evil.

But you, sir, by the way you live your life, stand in contrast to this philosophy.  Your lifestyle and point of view expose the soft underbelly of libertarian philosophy, and give credence to the critics who insist that a society founded on the principles of individual freedom and self-interest will yield a few powerful individuals who abuse their power by corrupting the system, lavishing upon themselves all manner of ego-gratifying material trinkets (including trophy wives), and eventually cause a polarized, Dickensian society made up of haves and have nots.  Over the years, Mr. Trump, you have become the personification of excess, and I have come to hold you in low regard, not because you have succeeded, but because you have promoted yourself as an example of what is possible in a free society, when in fact your success is mostly the result of privilege and crony capitalism.  My intuition about you has always been very negative.  To use an Atlas Shrugged analogy, I have seen you as the James Taggart of our day.

If you are a James Taggard -- a misguided useful idiot who is used by the central planners for their nefarious purposes -- then who and what is Hillary Clinton?  She is far, far worse.  For a revealing psychological profile of The Clintons, one must consult the other great Ayn Rand novel The Fountainhead.  The Clintons are a modern day variation of Ellsworth Toohey, a character who so despises the achievements of others, he develops the skill to lure them into submission with the phony proposition of selflessness and altruism.  Imagine Ellsworth Toohey as a unit made up of two people, incorporated into a tax-free entity, and able to implement graft at a global level.  Let us call it Clinton, Inc.  That, sir, is what you are up against, and until now you have done everything the Clintons expect of you.

So here I am, apparently not alone if the polls showing your meager support by conservatives are any indication.  I cannot be a #NeverTrump for the simple reason that I am a #NeverHillary, and I think for good reason.  I know November draws closer, and I will be forced to choose (and, yes, not voting or voting for a third party is a choice).  During this campaign, you have sought my vote by promoting protectionism, exploiting xenophobia and misogyny, and even insulting me with the suggestion that my fear of Hillary’s SCOTUS nominations gives me no choice.  And yet, here we are.  Me with a choice to make, and you the only thing standing between meager hope and a nation ruled by the most opportunistic, corrupt individuals of our time.  Until now, I have chosen to do nothing until the last day, when I will take my measure of your chances in my state, and then decide.  But now I have this idea that might help you, and while I hesitate to give it to you, I feel I must.

In a nutshell, this election is going to come down to several different voting segments voting their self-interest (there is that word again).  You have the disenfranchised, white male vote pretty much sewn up.  The problem is, these voters might have been sufficient to gain the GOP nomination, but they are nowhere near enough to win you the presidency.  Hillary has the feminists, gays, African-Americans, Hispanics, public employees and true-believing collectivists.  Recently, you seem to think your only hope is to make inroads with African-Americans.  It will not work.  That vote has been bought and paid for with both campaign and public dollars, and it will not be swayed by the promise of a better future.

Sir, there is but one segment that is still “gettable” in this campaign, and it is ripe for the picking.  That is the 80 million people who make up the Millennial generation.  The people who make up this voting block are angry, they are for the most part apolitical and ill-informed, and they are very interested in showing they have the power to effectuate change, which they did in the election of 2008.  If you can appeal to this vote and capture a plurality, you will win handily.

There is good news and bad news for you when it comes to Millennials.  The good news is they hate and distrust Hillary Clinton.  To them she personifies the corporate, two-faced corruption of our out-of-touch government, and rightly so.  The bad news is they distrust you more, and I am afraid there is nothing you can do to turn that around between now and election day.  However, you can make a policy proposal that will so enamor the Millennials to your campaign, they will support you in spite of their reservations about your personal character.

The single biggest issue to Millennials is the crushing burden of student loans.  Some 43 million Millennials currently carry student loans totaling $1.2 trillion.  This debt is more than a ticking time bomb threatening the economy.  It is a psychological burden Millennials carry daily, and it guides many of their day-to-day decisions in ways that impact society negatively: they are putting off marriage, delaying having children, living with their parents instead of buying their own homes, and generally putting off becoming useful, productive young citizens.

Both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders have addressed this issue by proposing that higher education be “free” but that ignores the critical fact that the train has already left the station for Millennials.  Most of them are already in debt, some for more than six figures.  They were lured into this debt by a corrupt, misguided federal political establishment that claimed to “help” them but instead drove up the price of a college education to the point that no one could get one without going into debt.  A visionary politician who can address this problem will be rewarded handsomely by these voters come election day.

My Big Idea: Propose that every employer in the USA be allowed a one-time dollar-for-dollar income tax credit for paying off an employee’s student loan.   If an employee has a student loan, and his employer qualifies but fails to take advantage of the credit, he or she can appeal to the IRS directly for reimbursement.  That is the idea in a nutshell.  A lot of improvements can be made by refining it, but then you don’t seem to like to refine your proposals, so you can simply say “Your employer pays off your loan, and if he doesn’t, you get it back directly from the IRS.”  And just leave it at that.

Here are some of the advantages to this proposal:

1. It stimulates the economy in a positive way.  Younger consumers are far more likely to spend windfall cash than to save for a rainy day, so the new spending power will make a meaningful contribution to kick starting the economy.

2. It solves the “student loan” bubble by eliminating the debt burden from millions of Americans.

3. It encourages young people to enter the “above ground” workforce, where their wages can be captured by future taxation, as opposed to the “gig economy” in which their wages are often hidden from view.

4. It disempowers the federal government by starving it of resources, forcing much needed austerity and spending cuts.

As I said earlier, the basic proposal can be greatly improved by refinement.  For example, the tax credit can be taken over a five year period as opposed to all at once.  That would encourage employees to stay in their jobs, and employers would find that very attractive.  You could limit the tax credit only to companies that are based in the USA, discouraging flight and giving domestic firms an advantage over foreign-based firms.  Also, you could make the proposal part of a broader measure to reform the student loan program altogether.  But in truth, the details matter very little, since neither you nor Hillary are being held accountable by the media for the fiscal implications of your budget proposals.

So there you have it, sir.  May I close by saying that I sincerely hope you are not the man I think you are, especially if you win. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: A Modest Proposal for Mr. Trump (Exclusive to TBR)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:25:21 pm »
 :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:35:14 pm »
Another liberal proposal for taxpayer paying off other peoples loans.

no way

Offline roamer_1

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:25 am »
Another liberal proposal for taxpayer paying off other peoples loans.

no way

I realize this is something most every conservative would oppose.  But at least it is a tax cut as opposed to a giveaway, and what difference does it make?  He would never deliver on it anyway, any more than he is going to deliver on his promise to deport 11 million people.

I guess my point is that he cannot win without something bold like this, and from a purely political standpoint, the constituency affected would be enough to carry him over the top against Clinton. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:54:08 am »
Fascinating idea.  Might just work.

Offline jedidah

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:59:16 am »

Perhaps a clever way to buy the election, if you really want to out Democrat the Democrats. 

You and I would pay for it.  Do you seriously think it is worth the monetary cost to working taxpayers to keep Clinton out of the White House?

A desperate move, for sure.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:20:54 am »
Perhaps a clever way to buy the election, if you really want to out Democrat the Democrats. 

You and I would pay for it.  Do you seriously think it is worth the monetary cost to working taxpayers to keep Clinton out of the White House?

A desperate move, for sure.

Trump is already talking about cutting the corporate tax rate.  This has pretty much the same effect insofar as loss of revenue.  Besides, the student debt bubble is going to be absorbed by taxpayers anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:21:28 am by massadvj »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:35:14 pm »
I cannot be a #NeverTrump for the simple reason that I am a #NeverHillary,

Unless, like me, you believe Trump and Hillary to both be integral parts of Clinton, Inc.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:35 pm »
Trump is already talking about cutting the corporate tax rate.  This has pretty much the same effect insofar as loss of revenue.  Besides, the student debt bubble is going to be absorbed by taxpayers anyway.

If he were talking about cutting it to zero on a permanent basis it would be of more interest to me but only a little as I don't really believe a thing that comes out of his mouth anymore.  Never did really!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 08:27:50 pm »
Unless, like me, you believe Trump and Hillary to both be integral parts of Clinton, Inc.

I don't dismiss your belief out of hand, Bigun.  As I said in the article, so far it appears to me that everything Trump has done is what the Clintons have expected of him.  Whether that is intentional or not, I cannot say.  I simply do not know.  And not knowing means there is some hope remaining that Trump is better than Hillary.  Not enough to support him, but enough that if my state is close, I will have to consider it.

You, being a Texan, don't have to worry about it.  Trump will win your state regardless.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »
A tax cut on one segment is a fee on all who don't irresponsibly take out student loans, as they have to make up costs themselves.

I don't justify the policy on any grounds except pure politics.  It is not one I would personally support (although in general I rarely oppose tax cuts in any form).  I am offering Mr. Trump an avenue to victory, because the politics of this would be very favorable.  That's it.  In fact, I would hope that he would not deliver on this after he won election, just as I hope he fails to deliver on many of his other promises.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:28:38 pm by massadvj »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 12:20:56 pm »
Sir, there is but one segment that is still “gettable” in this campaign, and it is ripe for the picking.  That is the 80 million people who make up the Millennial generation.

Donald Trump gets a big bump in the polls — thanks to millennials
Washington Examiner, Sept 1, 2016

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/donald-trump-gets-a-big-bump-in-the-polls-thanks-to-millennials/article/2600783

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 01:00:56 pm »
That was my thought as I read your intriguing proposal.    It may be politically easier to cut employers' costs and encourage hiring of American workers to create a credit like this.   I'm not sure I like the part where employees whose employers don't pay off their loans can instead get relief directly from the IRS.   

How about this simple variation -  if an employer hires an American worker and pays off his student loan,  it gets a credit against corporate taxes equal to twice the value of the amount paid off - a compelling incentive to extend the benefit.  Nothing more, nothing less (if the employer's an S corp, perhaps extend the same credit to the owners' income taxes on amounts passed through from the business).   And let the credit carry over to future years if the employer isn't now paying corporate income taxes. 

Fine.  It will all be worked out in congress after the election.  The direct IRS reimbursement is just to reassure young people (who distrust big business) that they will get the benefit whether their employer chooses to take it or not.  The money would not go to them, but directly to the student loan program, which is now a federal government enterprise.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:08:59 pm by massadvj »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/donald-trump-gets-a-big-bump-in-the-polls-thanks-to-millennials/article/2600783

I also noticed he is starting to talk about student loans on the stump.  He needs to put meat on the bone.

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:27 pm »
I also noticed he is starting to talk about student loans on the stump.  He needs to put meat on the bone.

Agree ...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 01:51:39 pm »

Facts, facts, facts, who needs facts? Donald Trump is deplorable and he has small hands. The nerve of Donald showing his hands on the campaign trail. Doesn't he know how hurtful it is to other Americans with small hands?

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 01:58:55 pm »
Facts, facts, facts, who needs facts? Donald Trump is deplorable and he has small hands. The nerve of Donald showing his hands on the campaign trail. Doesn't he know how hurtful it is to other Americans with small hands?

Love the tag line @aligncare    Wish I'd thought of it.   888high58888

Offline Poser

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:44 am »
For every dollar of tax credit to the employer, the US government has to do one of three things:
1. Borrow another dollar that we have to pay back with interest.
2. Raise the taxes of somebody who either didn't go to college or paid his own debt.
3.  Spend one dollar less on something else.

Assuming they will never do number three...
Both of the realistic choices are just wrong.

The government will already help you out with tuition. All you have to do is serve honorably in the military.

HonestJohn

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 03:07:40 am »
I realize this is something most every conservative would oppose.  But at least it is a tax cut as opposed to a giveaway, and what difference does it make?  He would never deliver on it anyway, any more than he is going to deliver on his promise to deport 11 million people.

I guess my point is that he cannot win without something bold like this, and from a purely political standpoint, the constituency affected would be enough to carry him over the top against Clinton.

Just remember that a tax cut can only be as large as the person's tax burden.  Once that burden reaches zero, there can be no more tax cut.

As a result, there is a good chunk of Millennials that will not see any student debt relief.  And for those that do, it will help... but not wipe out their debt in any significant way.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:26 am »
Just remember that a tax cut can only be as large as the person's tax burden.  Once that burden reaches zero, there can be no more tax cut.

As a result, there is a good chunk of Millennials that will not see any student debt relief.  And for those that do, it will help... but not wipe out their debt in any significant way.

My complaint is that it does nothing to fix the student debt problem, only exacerbating it by having someone else paying it off.

The problem is colleges selling courses that have no real-world application, and charging way too much for those that do.

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:15 am »
My complaint is that it does nothing to fix the student debt problem, only exacerbating it by having someone else paying it off.

The problem is colleges selling courses that have no real-world application, and charging way too much for those that do.

That's very true, too.

I think the issue is that some items and services do not follow market principles.

Water, to a man dying of thirst, will be purchased at any price.  As free market principles dictate that the selling price should be the highest that the market can bear, this would be the entire life savings of the man dying of thirst.

Gasoline is another in our modern society.  Unless one lives in a region with good public transportation, there is no choice but to purchase gasoline in order to commute to and from work.  (There is some flexibility with purchasing a more fuel efficient vehicle or moving closer to work, but that's about it.)

And in the modern world, a college degree is essential.  So people will put themselves into any sort of debt to try and obtain it.

That's the cause, in my view, of the explosive growth in the costs of higher education.

The only solution I can see to alleviate that is to try and remove the necessity for that higher education in the hiring process of most jobs.  (only requiring it for those jobs that *truly* need it)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 03:48:27 am »

That's the cause, in my view, of the explosive growth in the costs of higher education.

The only solution I can see to alleviate that is to try and remove the necessity for that higher education in the hiring process of most jobs.  (only requiring it for those jobs that *truly* need it)

True, but in large part, those degrees being required serve the colleges and protect those having the degrees - driving the role of colleges, and creating a service cost bubble in the market - One compliments the other, and between the two segments, drive up costs exponentially.

Take doctors as a prime example - 80% of general practice would be better accomplished by a registered nurse in a mini van making house calls... Working under the tutelage of a Doctor's House, no doubt, but look at what this one simple structure would do to the cost of medical care, how it helps to prevent contagion, and how it would take the weight off of legitimate doctoring needs...

Ultimately, your position is pretty right - there is a place for apprenticeships as an instance. and there should be many ways to arrive at any given 'degree'. That would be more in line with market practices and resolve the matter favorably.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 04:00:33 am »

Donny can do that. He is an expert on bones with meat on them....

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:12 pm »
All very good comments.  I would also point out that our country is much in need of skilled labor.  Everything from technicians to welders.  Unfortunately, our business schools only teach students how to shuffle paper, not how to actually produce something.