Author Topic: Must see places to visit (Bucket List)  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Must see places to visit (Bucket List)
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »
At my job, I'm up to six weeks of vacation per year, but I usually roll over 3. When I take a vacation, it is to keep working with people not thinking I'm available so I can get more done.

I'm about to do a cross-country road trip in a couple of weeks to go close out some of my grandfather's estate. It will be the longest I haven't had a work computer in front of me in years (of course, I'll have my work phone and tablet).

The main reason I don't take vacations is that I can't get away from the job anyway.   I need to stay connected and respond when clients call.   To me, a vacation is a break from work, where I can dial down the stress.  If I can't do that, why bother.   The solution for me is a small place at the Jersey shore,  where I can go down Friday night and come back Sunday evening.   Walks on the beach, pinball at the arcade, and a bar stocked with the best single malts - and no computer.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:10 am »
Here are 2... one of them is checked off, and I ain't saying which one.

I want to see London and Paris again. I've always dreamed of going to Alaska

I also want to drive one autumn up the East Coast all the way up to Maine to see the leaves and eat sea food and see lighthouses.

@rodamala I figured out which place you have been to. I won't tell anyone which one it is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:43:08 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 07:37:06 pm »
I don't know that I would call it a bucket list thing, but I would like to see Alaska and more of the Rockies (I've skied in Vail, that's about it). I've been most of the places in Europe I wanted to visit, except Scotland.  Most of all, I would like to visit more Civil War battlefields.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »
I don't know that I would call it a bucket list thing, but I would like to see Alaska and more of the Rockies (I've skied in Vail, that's about it). I've been most of the places in Europe I wanted to visit, except Scotland.  Most of all, I would like to visit more Civil War battlefields.

Scotland is wonderful. There's a whiskey place in Edinburgh that let's you have free samples. :)
And for the ladies- I saw many men in kilts.

I've never skied. That would be something I would like to learn someday,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:15:17 pm by Freya »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »
How I would love to see the homelands of the ancestral clans in Scotland and Ireland.

McGregor, of the clan McGregor.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 03:55:10 pm »
This place is on my list...

@Frank Cannon

Is there some place in particular in Schenectady that I should see?  I will be going through there in November, I think.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 03:59:19 pm »
Most of all, I would like to visit more Civil War battlefields.

I love to do Gettysburg and Sharpsburg (Antietam) back-to-back...the contrast between the commercial Gettysburg and the quiet Sharpsburg battlefields is stark, despite Sharpsburg being the bloodiest day in American history.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:59:45 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »
Gettysburg seems to be trying to get away from the commercialization. It's much better than it was 50 years ago. Some organization bought the hotel that was adjacent to what is supposed to be Robert E. Lee's HQ on the western end of town and tore it down. Nothing there now but a field, just like in 1863. It's still very much worth a visit. We haven't been there since 2014 (we stayed in the now-defunct hotel) and I'd love to return.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »
Gettysburg seems to be trying to get away from the commercialization. It's much better than it was 50 years ago. Some organization bought the hotel that was adjacent to what is supposed to be Robert E. Lee's HQ on the western end of town and tore it down. Nothing there now but a field, just like in 1863. It's still very much worth a visit. We haven't been there since 2014 (we stayed in the now-defunct hotel) and I'd love to return.

There are a few buildings around with cannonballs still in them. It's worth a few days IMO.

Pretty area too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Is there some place in particular in Schenectady that I should see?  I will be going through there in November, I think.

Absolutely. Be sure to visit Anker's Auto Service 1907 Van Vranken Ave.

They supposedly have the coldest Coke vending machine in that part of NY.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
Absolutely. Be sure to visit Anker's Auto Service 1907 Van Vranken Ave.

They supposedly have the coldest Coke vending machine in that part of NY.
:silly:
If ya'll ever comes to Idaho don't forget to visit the center of the universe:
http://wallace-id.com/centeroftheuniverse.html
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »

I visited Gettysburg 4 decades ago.  Don't remember commercialization.  I do still get chills when I think about that visit.  Something about the light, the atmosphere, walking around with my book and reading the monuments.  It made a lasting impression on me. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 12:49:50 am »
:silly:
If ya'll ever comes to Idaho don't forget to visit the center of the universe:
http://wallace-id.com/centeroftheuniverse.html

As I recall, back in the day, Wallace ID was well known for something all together different from that...

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
I visited Gettysburg 4 decades ago.  Don't remember commercialization.  I do still get chills when I think about that visit.  Something about the light, the atmosphere, walking around with my book and reading the monuments.  It made a lasting impression on me.

I went to Gettysburg as a child. I just remember walking forever and graves. I'd like to go back now that I'm an adult and can really appreciate it.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:43 pm »
I'd like to visit Machu Picchu.  Also would like to play a round of golf in Scotland.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 03:36:33 pm »
As I recall, back in the day, Wallace ID was well known for something all together different from that...
Must have been before my time.  :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 04:04:55 pm »
I'd like to visit Machu Picchu.  Also would like to play a round of golf in Scotland.

I'd love to go thru all those megalithic sites down that way. There's one I can't think of that's believed to be about 11K years old up in the Andes. It wasn't built there, but at sea level before the Andes rose.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 05:38:53 pm »
I've always dreamed of going to Alaska

@Freya @mountaineer

As someone who lived in Alaska for 4 years, I highly recommend when you do go, don't just do a cruise of the Coastal Cities.  Get into the interior, preferably go to Denali National Park.  Take a train ride to or from Denali with the dome top for the views.

And if you have time to spend, get a copy of Milepost and look for historic stops that interest you.

https://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2016-Kris-Valencia/dp/1892154358

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:39:39 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2016, 05:47:06 pm »

True, they knocked down that Gawdawful tower some time ago.

I drove out to Gettysburg after attending a meeting in Harrisburg a few years back. Arrived early and in a thick fog, and consequently was the only person at the 'Angle' when the fog lifted. Might have been the only visitor on the immediate battlefield.

Indescribable, other than to say it was an awesome feeling. So many lives ended right on that spot and with the utmost violence.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:50:00 pm by skeeter »

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 05:51:05 pm »
May I recommend Neuschwanstein Castle?

I went there vising my BIL and sister in Germany back in the 70's- we went all over Europe. .. Late fall.  All I remember is the damp smell inside and how cold it was in the rooms. The old days were rough even for the Kings but I guess it was better than what the peasants had for accomodations.

@bolobaby

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 10:39:43 pm »
@Freya @mountaineer

As someone who lived in Alaska for 4 years, I highly recommend when you do go, don't just do a cruise of the Coastal Cities.  Get into the interior, preferably go to Denali National Pairk.  Take a train ride to or from Denali with the dome top for the views.

And if you have time to spend, get a copy of Milepost and look for historic stops that interest you.

https://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2016-Kris-Valencia/dp/1892154358

If I had the money, I'd hire a guide to drive me all over Alaska. I want to see the Northern Lights, and everything, not only the touristy things.

HonestJohn

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 11:38:07 pm »
Potala Palace, Tibet

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 11:42:02 pm »
As someone who lived in Alaska for 4 years, I highly recommend when you do go, don't just do a cruise of the Coastal Cities.  Get into the interior, preferably go to Denali National Park.  Take a train ride to or from Denali with the dome top for the views.
Yes, Denali definitely would be on the list!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »
I forgot one on my list. I want to take a boat all the way down the Mississippi River to New Orleans.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2016, 12:17:39 am »
I went there vising my BIL and sister in Germany back in the 70's- we went all over Europe. .. Late fall.  All I remember is the damp smell inside and how cold it was in the rooms. The old days were rough even for the Kings but I guess it was better than what the peasants had for accomodations.

@bolobaby

@mirraflake

Well, they probably didn't have the fireplaces burning, right?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!