Author Topic: "It May Take A Massive Program, Large Enough To Shock Taxpayers" - The Jackson Hole Post-Mortem  (Read 1785 times)

Offline unknown

"It May Take A Massive Program, Large Enough To Shock Taxpayers" - The Jackson Hole Post-Mortem

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-28/jackson-hole-post-mortem-it-may-take-massive-program-large-enough-shock-taxpayers

Tyler Durden
Aug 28, 2016 10:37 AM

On Saturday, the 2016 edition of the Fed's Jackson Hole two-day symposium came to an end, and as many expected, following long bouts of rhetoric, circular statements and hollow bluster, much of it contradictory, both the participants and markets remain as confused as ever.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

geronl

"Stimulus" was a bad idea and we know these fools, like Trump, want to spend trillions in new debt on their slush funds

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If anyone ever tells you these Wall Street/banker whiz kids are smart. Think again. Book smart maybe, but they don't really understand how things work.
The Republic is lost.

Online dfwgator

The Day of Reckoning is fast approaching, and it's going to be very, very ugly.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
df wrote:
"The Day of Reckoning is fast approaching, and it's going to be very, very ugly."

Of course there will be "a day of reckoning" someday, but I sense that it's "some ways away" yet.

Look at it this way:
The old Soviet Union took about 70 years to reach the point where it was so broke that the communists had to throw in the towel.

Here in the USA, even with the high borrowing and huge deficits, the economy rolls on (albeit slowly) under its own massive momentum.

Add to that the ever-more-creative financing, quantative easing, and all sorts of hat tricks to keep the economy afloat.

I think the current situation could go on for years, moreso if Trump gets elected than o'er-the-hillary (who will accelerate the speed towards collapse).

Of course the train without brakes will derail.
But we've still got a considerable distance to travel down the hill before the final crash at the end.

Aside:
Perhaps it will come when China (and perhaps others) decide to forsake American debt. I've heard that China is literally buying gold by the ton. A friend suggested that at some point China may attempt to establish a new, gold-based international currency in the hope of supplanting the U.S. Dollar.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
df wrote:
"The Day of Reckoning is fast approaching, and it's going to be very, very ugly."

Of course there will be "a day of reckoning" someday, but I sense that it's "some ways away" yet.

Look at it this way:
The old Soviet Union took about 70 years to reach the point where it was so broke that the communists had to throw in the towel.

Here in the USA, even with the high borrowing and huge deficits, the economy rolls on (albeit slowly) under its own massive momentum.

Add to that the ever-more-creative financing, quantative easing, and all sorts of hat tricks to keep the economy afloat.

I think the current situation could go on for years, moreso if Trump gets elected than o'er-the-hillary (who will accelerate the speed towards collapse).

Of course the train without brakes will derail.
But we've still got a considerable distance to travel down the hill before the final crash at the end.

Aside:
Perhaps it will come when China (and perhaps others) decide to forsake American debt. I've heard that China is literally buying gold by the ton. A friend suggested that at some point China may attempt to establish a new, gold-based international currency in the hope of supplanting the U.S. Dollar.

When interest rates start rising, that's when it will unravel. We'll start having problems at 4%, and by 8% if it holds for some time we'll be in some serious hurt.
The Republic is lost.

geronl

These people seem to have forgotten some very basic truths.

Particularly that debt is a BURDEN. Heavy debt is like asking one horse to pull a freight train.

Offline JustPassinThru

These people seem to have forgotten some very basic truths.

Particularly that debt is a BURDEN. Heavy debt is like asking one horse to pull a freight train.

They never learned those truths.

These people aren't stupid - but they're miseducated and they're of only average intelligence.  Hubris overwhelms any critical thinking they might display; and of course they're all working under the Normalcy Bias.  The American economy CANNOT collapse because it never HAS collapsed.

We've been printing fiat up for seventy YEARS, and nothing (we think) bad has come of it...so we can do MOAR.

More spending means more power.  For a little while; until eventually the recognition comes that the United States Dollar is just paper and that the nation issuing it is drowning in debt.

That's when we see Louis XVI's France all over again.  I don't recommend it; it was a horrible waste of lives; but it's exactly the route we're heading for.