Author Topic: Trump and the American Dream  (Read 1182 times)

Offline unknown

Trump and the American Dream
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:03:24 am »

Trump and the American Dream

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Column-One-Trump-and-the-American-Dream-466108

CAROLINE B. GLICK
08/25/2016

According to most polls taken since last month’s party conventions, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton enjoys an insurmountable lead over Republican nominee Donald Trump. Consequently, a number of commentators on both sides of the partisan divide have declared the race over. Clinton, they say, has won.

There are several problems with this conclusion.

First of all, the “official campaign,” won’t begin until September 26, when Clinton and Trump face off in their first presidential debate. Clinton is not a stellar debater and Trump, a seasoned entertainer, excels in these formats.

Second, recent polls indicate that Trump is closing the gap. Whereas until this past week Clinton enjoyed a 6-8 point lead in the polls, in two polls taken this week, her lead had contracted to a mere 1-3 points.

Third, it is quite possible that Clinton’s problems have only begun. Her peak popularity may be behind her. Since her nomination, barely a day has passed without another stunning exposé of apparently corrupt behavior on the part of Clinton and her closest advisers. This week’s AP report that half of Clinton’s non-official visitors during her tenure as secretary of state were donors to the Clinton Foundation was merely the latest blow.

The continuous drip of corruption stories will have a corrosive effect on Clinton’s support levels. If the revelations to come are as damaging as many have claimed, their impact on Clinton’s candidacy may be fatal.

In that event, America as a whole – not Trump, and not even the NeverTrumpsters – will be the greatest loser of November’s election.

{.. snip ..}
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:05:01 am by unknown »

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline unknown

Re: Trump and the American Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:04:11 am »

On the eve of his 2008 electoral victory, Barack Obama pledged to “fundamentally transform,” America.

He kept his word.

And it is this fundamental transformation and the Republican leadership’s failure to stop it that transformed a loud-mouthed, brash billionaire into the Republican nominee. It was this transformation, and the Republican establishment’s failure to block it, that made it impossible for moderates like Mitt Romney or Jeb Bush to win the Republican primaries in 2016.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline unknown

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:05:24 am »

A really well written article.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:01:17 pm »
Sure, Hillary is an awful person and a worse candidate. But the idea that Trump will easily defeat her in debates is hogwash. Trump is an ignoramus outside of business. Because Clinton is evil does not make her stupid.
She will not be provoked in these debates by tirades from Trump. She will depict herself as the all-American woman who is a victim of nasty slurs from  a boorish pig. Which fits Trump to a tee.
Trump will know next to nothing about how government works or a slew of issues including national and international topics.  She will eagerly and gleefully pick him apart concerning his ignorance on a host of matters.
Trump's best method of attack will be to try and prevent Clinton from focusing on policy and gov. operations and try to bring up her many bad decisions as sec. of state.  Making personal attacks on her will not work.
Trump backers are delirious if they believe he's some sort of great debater. All he  did in the primary debates was call people names and holler about The Wall and the evil Chinese.  I'm betting Hillary will prove him the ignoramus he is.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:13:49 pm »
Clinton managed to parlay the one aggressive debate move from the otherwise milquetoast Rick Lazio into a victimhood racket that propelled her into the Senate. She knows how to rig a debate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:44:41 pm »
:bigsilly:

First of all, the “official campaign,” won’t begin until September 26

:bigsilly:

That's nice, dearie, but the campaign has been going on for months now, and Donnie boy just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into the hole every time he opens his sh*t-can of a mouth.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:09:21 pm »
Clinton managed to parlay the one aggressive debate move from the otherwise milquetoast Rick Lazio into a victimhood racket that propelled her into the Senate. She knows how to rig a debate.

That's why I think its really foolish to fixate on Clinton's health.

Its bad enough if it turns out she doesn't have Parkinson's disease but can you imagine the mileage she would get out of it if she did have the disease?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 10:53:10 pm »
First of all, the “official campaign,” won’t begin until September 26, when Clinton and Trump face off in their first presidential debate. Clinton is not a stellar debater and Trump, a seasoned entertainer, excels in these formats.

Hillary Clinton KNOWS more than Trump has forgotten about policy.  She will run rings around him.  Trump did not excel in debates in the primaries (well, he did if the self-selecting Drudge polls are a gauge).  He throws out zingers and nonsense. He never had to answer a question one on one or come up with a response.  Hillary will destroy Trump in a debate because she will do something to get under his skin and cause him to go off, and that will be that.

Second, recent polls indicate that Trump is closing the gap. Whereas until this past week Clinton enjoyed a 6-8 point lead in the polls, in two polls taken this week, her lead had contracted to a mere 1-3 points.

The current RCP average is Hillary up by 6.8 points, so she's regained those points she lost.

The corruption stories can get no traction because Trump dominates every news cycle with some gaffe or stupidity.  The election is still all about Trump, which means he's losing.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »
Trump scams and cheats for every dollar, he's even making a profit on this campaign.

He does not believe in the American Dream any more than he believes in American exceptionalism.

He likely thinks those who believe hard work is the way to get ahead are suckers and losers.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:50:56 pm »
Trump scams and cheats for every dollar, he's even making a profit on this campaign.

He does not believe in the American Dream any more than he believes in American exceptionalism.

He likely thinks those who believe hard work is the way to get ahead are suckers and losers.

I don't think I've ever heard him mention "small business" which is the true driver of our economy.

Offline unknown

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:08:44 am »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 01:55:50 am »
Remarkably good essay by Caroline Glick.

(and yes, I read the whole thing!)