Author Topic: How to Spot Authentic Mexican Food  (Read 4853 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: How to Spot Authentic Mexican Food
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:17 am »
One more thing you'll find in authentic Mexican food than in Tex Mex or most American versions, a lot more veg. Especially squash, zucchini, corn and a variety of beans beyond pinto.

Yesterday I put a crock pot of dark mole on I got from the local Mexican market with a sliced up pork shoulder and let it cook for about 6 hours until the meat shredded. If you can find a place that does authentic mole, try it. Generally it is made from dried chili, chocolate, nuts, garlic, and spices, all cooked down into a thick, almost black sauce. (at least, that's my favorite style, there are many ways to make it).

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:08:40 am by AbaraXas »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 01:23:02 am »
Well, I know I'm the odd-man out here, but I prefer Tex-Mex to Mexican food.  Love enchiladas, nachos with flank steak, rice and refried beans cooked in bacon fat. Plenty of guacamole with cilantro.  Mmmmmm....
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 02:11:40 am »
Well, I know I'm the odd-man out here, but I prefer Tex-Mex to Mexican food.  Love enchiladas, nachos with flank steak, rice and refried beans cooked in bacon fat. Plenty of guacamole with cilantro.  Mmmmmm....

I do too.  Ummm!  I prefer Chinese-American food to Chinese food, too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 02:12:12 am »
One more thing you'll find in authentic Mexican food than in Tex Mex or most American versions, a lot more veg. Especially squash, zucchini, corn and a variety of beans beyond pinto.

Yesterday I put a crock pot of dark mole on I got from the local Mexican market with a sliced up pork shoulder and let it cook for about 6 hours until the meat shredded. If you can find a place that does authentic mole, try it. Generally it is made from dried chili, chocolate, nuts, garlic, and spices, all cooked down into a thick, almost black sauce. (at least, that's my favorite style, there are many ways to make it).

That looks amazing, Abaraxas!

Offline ABX

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 02:17:22 am »
That looks amazing, Abaraxas!

Just so I'm not lying, that is just a representative photo of dark mole, not the one I made although it looks pretty close.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
I prefer Chinese-American food to Chinese food, too.

My dear wife, who has visited China twice, agrees with you.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »
My wife and I were hosting a visitor from the M.E. who had never had what we call Mexican food before. We took him to a Mexican restaurant close by and ordered the variety platter, so he could get a taste of everything.

The first comment he made was about how everything seemed to have beans in it. So every dish he tasted, he would say after eating it, "beans". He finally ordered the enchiladas and of course it came with a big serving of beans on the side. He says, "more beans?" I am chuckling the whole time. He asked me if the Mexicans were a bean based society?

So, finally we tell him about the traditional Mexican drink, the Margarita. We convinced him that he has to try one. He looked over and asked me what was in it. What is it made of?, he asked. I said, "Beans!" with the straightest face I could hold while watching his head cock over like a confused puppy. Then we all burst out in laughter and lightened the mood a bit.

Man, that happened a million years ago, and I still remember it clear as a bell. Damn that was funny. I guess you just had to be there.

Back in the 1930s and 40s my dad grew up with Mexican immigrant borders that rented a room in their large house. These borders shared in much of the cooking so he grew up knowing what real Mexican food was like, and he loved it.   He had much of the same complaints about the Mexican restaurant chains later in life,  being heavy on beans and tasteless hamburger,  and no matter what you ordered it was all the same flavor - just presented differently.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »

We sadly, have neither of decent quality here. There are no fewer than 20 Chinese buffets in town, and every single one of them are nasty.

We have one high end Chinese bistro which is quite good, but I would call it Chinese-American inspired, not really Chinese or Chinese-American.

Then the usual Panda Express which is when you run all out of other options.

What I wouldn't give for a good Dim Sum restaurant (or Indian, or Ethiopian, or Greek, or Brazilian, or hell, a good legit Irish pub).

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »
We sadly, have neither of decent quality here. There are no fewer than 20 Chinese buffets in town, and every single one of them are nasty.

We have one high end Chinese bistro which is quite good, but I would call it Chinese-American inspired, not really Chinese or Chinese-American.

Then the usual Panda Express which is when you run all out of other options.

What I wouldn't give for a good Dim Sum restaurant (or Indian, or Ethiopian, or Greek, or Brazilian, or hell, a good legit Irish pub).

Now, that is one good thing about Austin - pretty much whatever you want, they've got it.  Including Greek, Ethiopian and Brazilian, Indian, Persian, and on and on. Irish pubs?  Check. 

This is my favorite Greek place:  http://athenianbargrill.com/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 06:40:37 pm »

I'm right with y'all. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn