Author Topic: Sophia the Uncanny Robot (Accidentally?) Promises to Destroy All Humans  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Suppressed

Sophia the Uncanny Robot (Accidentally?) Promises to Destroy All Humans
Avoid eye contact.
By Sarah Rense  Aug 17, 2016 
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a22421/sophia-robot-video-ford-driverless-cars/

This is Sophia. Sophia is a robot. Sophia recently told her handler (?) that she would destroy humans. I believe her.

Sophia, as CNBC showed in this recent video, was created to help in the fields of education and customer service. She can "read" your expression with cameras in her eyes, and she can adjust her own expression to react and make eye contact. And yeah, she's totally going to destroy humans.

As her creators note, facial expressions are an important part of humanizing interpersonal communication, and talking to people is Sophia's primary function. That, right after destroying humans.

[Excerpt.  More -- including video -- HERE]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Sophia the Uncanny Robot (Accidentally?) Promises to Destroy All Humans
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:12:32 pm »
I don't think we're in any danger from it.

The only danger posed by a robot today is in getting in its why while it carries out its programmed tasks.

There are no wants, desires, wishes, anger, hate or any of the things that drive violence

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:25:13 am »

The only danger posed by a robot today is in getting in its why while it carries out its programmed tasks.

There are no wants, desires, wishes, anger, hate or any of the things that drive violence

That may be the exact nature of the danger. Perfect killing machines. Emotionless. Programmed.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 01:55:46 am »

Worry not, and trust in....

SKY-NET

It has your back, civilian!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:30:38 am »
That may be the exact nature of the danger. Perfect killing machines. Emotionless. Programmed.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:33:27 am »
SKY-NET

IS

LOVE

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:41:19 am »

No danger, unless you work for the DMV.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis