Author Topic: Mentions  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Mentions
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:53:05 pm »
I'm having a problem with Mentions.

Although I can receive Mentions from others, nobody is receiving Mentions from my California Ping List.

Also, I understand that there is a place in your profile where your Mentions are listed. I can't find it.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Mentions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:18:58 pm »
You can find where others have mentioned you on your profile, like this @Machiavelli . Left hand column under Profile Info is a link labeled Mentions; it should be the fourth option down. But that doesn't show where you have mentioned others.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:31:50 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:22 pm »
You can find where others have mentioned you on your profile, like this @Machiavelli . Left hand column under Profile Info is a link labeled Mentions; it should be the fourth option down. But that doesn't show where you have mentioned others.

@Idaho_Cowboy

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:26 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy
For what it's worth. Your mention did show up when I checked my mentions page.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »
I think new mentions should be at the top of the page and I should be able to hide or block threads titles from the list of Latest Posts

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:54:30 pm »
I think new mentions should be at the top of the page and I should be able to hide or block threads titles from the list of Latest Posts
That would be handy.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 02:57:32 am »

Why do you block or hide thread titles?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 03:00:20 am »
Why do you block or hide thread titles?

Some titles are puerile and I don't like it

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 03:11:18 am »
Some titles are puerile and I don't like it

Oh. Thanks for telling me without biting my head off.   ^-^
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 03:35:22 am »
Oh. Thanks for telling me without biting my head off.   ^-^

That's more than I can chew. (Big head.. never mind)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:37:10 pm »
That's more than I can chew. (Big head.. never mind)

Use a few cutting remarks with your rapier wit.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 02:20:36 pm »

Mentions aren't being shown on the top of the page right now because the menu buttons are images, not css-based text-only buttons.  At some point we would like to change that, but right now the developer's time is rather limited.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 04:42:24 pm »
Mentions aren't being shown on the top of the page right now because the menu buttons are images, not css-based text-only buttons.  At some point we would like to change that, but right now the developer's time is rather limited.

I understand it's a long-term goal

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 03:25:23 am »
I understand it's a long-term goal

Working on it.  Part of the problem is that the theme/skin the forum uses was originally designed for the 1.x series of the SMF code, and was designed to use images for menu buttons and doesn't have the code needed to build text-based menu buttons.  That means that in order to get the mentions functionality working properly - i.e., so that a cue is displayed when you have new mentions - a new style template will have to be built by modifying the default theme for the 2.x series so that the forum retains its basic "brand", but with a refresh on certain items.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 03:42:32 am »
Working on it.  Part of the problem is that the theme/skin the forum uses was originally designed for the 1.x series of the SMF code, and was designed to use images for menu buttons and doesn't have the code needed to build text-based menu buttons.  That means that in order to get the mentions functionality working properly - i.e., so that a cue is displayed when you have new mentions - a new style template will have to be built by modifying the default theme for the 2.x series so that the forum retains its basic "brand", but with a refresh on certain items.

So you are saying the default theme in 2.x is too different from this theme to just go with it? The look and layout now would be radically transformed by upgrading?

Is this sort of like why TOS has stayed the same for so long?

geronl

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 03:48:14 am »
So you are saying the default theme in 2.x is too different from this theme to just go with it? The look and layout now would be radically transformed by upgrading?

I remember when they tried out TOS 2.0 with avatars and everything. But the internet was still slow in those days, too many freepers still had dial-up.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 08:33:14 pm »

No.  This theme was customized (by yours truly, mostly) based on the Yabb SE theme the SMF code came with at installation.  The default theme (e.g., colors, icons, and etc) is very different from this.  The "brand" of the forum should be preserved, which means doing a similar customization on the standard theme that came with the 2.x installation.

I don't know anything about the TOS software, other than that it's old and very proprietary, but my guess would be that it doesn't have the ability to take on any sort of a different look without a fundamental rewrite of the code.

SMF is very different from that.  It is a much more sophisticated piece of software and is designed using a design philosophy that separates the content processing from the presentation (I believe they use the Model View Controller paradigm).  That allows forum owners to customize the look of their forums, sometimes radically, without having to tinker with the underlying content processing logic.

It's like "skinning" - different looks can be relatively easily applied on top of the content processing end of things without having to redo all of the code.

That being said "easily applied" is a relative term and still requires that the templates that are used to render the display/presentation be modified and/or rewritten in certain respects.  Unfortunately, I've been working 60-70 hour weeks the last couple of months, so I don't really have the big block of time I'd like to get the rewrite squeezed out in one go.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 12:26:13 am »
Thank you for your explanation.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 10:54:47 am »
Thank you for your explanation.

@bigheadfred

You're most welcome.  Hopefully it was at least marginally understandable.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 02:39:38 am »
@bigheadfred
You're most welcome.  Hopefully it was at least marginally understandable.
@AbaraXas  @geronl  @Smokin Joe @Cripplecreek

Oh yeah it is. I understand quite a bit except for when I start to accumulate too much ammonia in the brain. To understand that look up hepatic encephalopathy. If my posts start getting too weird it is because I am actually starting to get weird.

geronl

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 03:43:30 am »
Oh yeah it is. I understand quite a bit except for when I start to accumulate too much ammonia in the brain. To understand that look up hepatic encephalopathy. If my posts start getting too weird it is because I am actually starting to get weird.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 01:16:19 am »
Well, I hope that doesn't happen to you.

It already is. 

geronl

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 01:27:19 am »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 01:46:18 am »
yikes, sorry.

They have a "cure" now for Hep C. It is about 95% effective for my genotype. And if it works it kills the virus. The older treatments contain it. The over the counter price for the twelve week course is $84,000. One pill a day. It is $1,125.00 per pill per day. obamacare killed my employer based insurance and I simply don't make enough to afford any. Even with the subsidy.

I know I say some outrageous things. Just for the fun of it. But I'm not finishing my thoughts as well as I should be with even more outrageousness. It would help people, I think, if I would do that.