Author Topic: Tesla Unveils Electric-Car Battery With a 315-Mile Range  (Read 780 times)

Offline thackney

Tesla Unveils Electric-Car Battery With a 315-Mile Range
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:01:05 pm »
Tesla Unveils Electric-Car Battery With a 315-Mile Range
http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-unveils-battery-with-a-315-mile-range-1471981062
Aug. 23, 2016

Tesla Motors Inc. said it is offering its electric vehicles with a battery capable of going up to 315 miles on a charge, the first time a major auto maker has provided that much electric range in a vehicle.

The company unveiled new versions of its Model S sedan and Model X sport-utility vehicle with 100 kilowatt-hour batteries; previously the largest battery size was 90 kwh. The upgrade—which Tesla executives said was made possible by increasing the energy density of its battery packs—will allow the Palo Alto, Calif.-based company to sell a P100 version of those two vehicles with Tesla’s well-known “Ludicrous Mode.”

The 315-mile range sets a new benchmark for automotive engineers looking to lessen fears about so-called range anxiety, which drivers encounter when traveling longer distances in an electric car. Because electric cars must be plugged into charging ports that aren’t as readily available as gas stations, nor as fast, many car buyers have refused to even consider one.

Tesla’s Model S sedan will get the 315-mile range. The heavier SUV won’t be able to travel as far on a charge.

The P100D sedan will cost $134,500 and the SUV will cost $135,500. The current Tesla line starts at about $66,000 and can go roughly 200 miles on a single charge....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Tesla Unveils Electric-Car Battery With a 315-Mile Range
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:49:55 pm »
My most likely driving trip will be to Michigan's upper peninsula.

315 miles would get me there but leave me a couple hundred miles short of my destination. However the final 30 or so miles are likely to be on a washboard dirt road or 2 track.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Tesla Unveils Electric-Car Battery With a 315-Mile Range
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »
Once the new 30K model hits the market, that may be a game changer. Right now there are charging stations starting to pop up all over the place. If you take the interstate, you can drive cross country with enough charging stations. Plus, some of the newer chargers can give you a full charge in under an hour so stop at a restaurant and you are ready to go again.

Here are the charging stations just in Dallas right now. http://www.nteaa.org/dfw-chargin-stations/