Author Topic: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz  (Read 11275 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:23 pm »
So I take it you've had your share of Rainier and Hamms.
Yeah. They cut me off.  :silly:
While I stopped drinking nearly 30 years ago, we had a beer drinkers club at a local bar, and had to consume some 46 different domestic and imported beers to get full membership. It was interesting. Ranier and Hamms were included. Some beers stood out from the crowd, and I couldn't even list all of them now. Admittedly, the palate suffers after the first few, and all sorts of things which one might not ordinarily consume become acceptable (beer goggles, but that is another story). Rainier and Hamms fell in the middle as drinkable beer, neither astoundingly good nor horribly bad. Everyone has different tastes, though.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2016, 12:25:04 am »
Yeah. They cut me off.  :silly:
While I stopped drinking nearly 30 years ago, we had a beer drinkers club at a local bar, and had to consume some 46 different domestic and imported beers to get full membership. It was interesting. Ranier and Hamms were included. Some beers stood out from the crowd, and I couldn't even list all of them now. Admittedly, the palate suffers after the first few, and all sorts of things which one might not ordinarily consume become acceptable (beer goggles, but that is another story). Rainier and Hamms fell in the middle as drinkable beer, neither astoundingly good nor horribly bad. Everyone has different tastes, though.

Rainer pounders. Some cute commercials. Rayyy-neeeer-beeeer (motorcycle)  I remember a prefunction for a bachelor party. This guy is doing Rainier beer bongs. Passes out. Wakes up when we got back from the party. Wouldn't believe that it was 3-ish a.m.  Finally called the operator for confirmation.

@roamer_1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2016, 12:28:02 am »
Rainier and Hamms fell in the middle as drinkable beer, neither astoundingly good nor horribly bad. Everyone has different tastes, though.

Yeah, my comment was more toward it's regional distribution here in the northwest - Back before all the micro-brews, before the big boys started trading hands, as I recall it, what was mainly available here was Bud, Miller, Michelob, Coors, Oly, Ranier, PBR, and Hamms... I don't recall much else. All of them were fine with me too, except Michelob, which for some reason never agreed with me - Always gave me a headache.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:05 am »
Rainer pounders. Some cute commercials. Rayyy-neeeer-beeeer (motorcycle)

HAHAHA! The BEST one was, after that Ranier motorcycle commercial was out a while, Hamms ran another one - looked and sounded exactly like the Ranier ad, but the bike goes around a corner, and you hear the sound of a terrible crash...
Silence.
Que the Hamms theme...
And a Hamms beer truck comes back around the corner with a motorcycle all up in his grill...

ROTFLMAO!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2016, 12:46:31 am »
Yeah, my comment was more toward it's regional distribution here in the northwest - Back before all the micro-brews, before the big boys started trading hands, as I recall it, what was mainly available here was Bud, Miller, Michelob, Coors, Oly, Ranier, PBR, and Hamms... I don't recall much else. All of them were fine with me too, except Michelob, which for some reason never agreed with me - Always gave me a headache.
We drank a lot of Rolling Rock when I was younger and lived in VA, too. It was out of PA, so you may not have run across it. PBR was on the list and their 'cheap beer', Red, White, and Blue. (I guess they quit making it in the 80s, but are considering reviving that, too. 99 cents a six pack in the mid 70s. Strohs out of Alexandria wasn't bad at the time, but we avoided the Carling Black Label.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:47:54 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2016, 01:00:34 am »
HAHAHA! The BEST one was, after that Ranier motorcycle commercial was out a while, Hamms ran another one - looked and sounded exactly like the Ranier ad, but the bike goes around a corner, and you hear the sound of a terrible crash...
Silence.
Que the Hamms theme...
And a Hamms beer truck comes back around the corner with a motorcycle all up in his grill...

ROTFLMAO!!!

I remember that. Hilarious! Thanks for the walk down partial memory lane.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
I remember Grain Belt being better than Fitgers and Rhinelander.  Point Beer was total wombat piss.

My son bought some Point Beer for the heck of it about a month ago.  I estimate 29 cans remain in the 'fridge downstairs.

Grain Belt has had a resurgence of sorts in the Dakotas and Minnesota. 

Every year, we start out hunting camp with some Rhinelander on hand - it is a tradition to honor an uncle who passed 20 years ago.  It was his beer of choice.

Blatz in the can is much like Point.  But, if you can find a bar in northern Wisconsin that has it on tap... not bad.  Seriously.

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 02:35:53 pm »
I am not a beer drinker...but on our yearly trek to Wisconsin we come home with several cases of Spotted Cow...made by the New Glarus Brewing Co.......It is only sold in Wisc much to my husband and sons regret...lol

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 03:08:19 pm »

A treasured artifact of one of Pittsburgh's old breweries (mid-1950s).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 04:58:50 pm »
I am not a beer drinker...but on our yearly trek to Wisconsin we come home with several cases of Spotted Cow...made by the New Glarus Brewing Co.......It is only sold in Wisc much to my husband and sons regret...lol

Is this an IPA?  That cow looks way too hoppy.

Wingnut

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2016, 05:04:03 pm »

Tis good stuff.  We bicycle the Jane Addams trail to the Badger State trail to the Capitol City Trail into Madison and back almost every year.  Most times on the way back we will spend the night at The Chalet Landhaus in New Glaus and load up the bike trailer with 3 or 4 cases of their brews.  Take the Brewery tour sometime.   If you stayed and help them pack the cases they would pay you in free beer.  I think they stopped that practice several years ago.  The breakage was getting out of control!

Wingnut

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
Our apartment in college.  We liberated this sign from a bar somewhere in/near/outside of Charleston Il.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2016, 10:30:41 pm »
Back in the late 80's the USS Lexington (CV-16) was in for a retrofit in Pensacola.  I think it was just before they retired her.  Go figure? 

Anyway I was working 12 hour shifts. 6pm to 6am down below deck in the engine room of the Lexington and other area's as far below as you gould get without getting wet.   Anyway,  Navy personell on board was limited to a few Petty officers.  I'd break for lunch around 3 am and just start wandering around the ship. I never saw another soul once I headed down to my area.   Now I don't believe in ghosts but I swear something was going  on that Ship.  More than once I would get lost.  I used to see blurry shapes and lights and hear these strange noises . I would follow them and they would lead me out. 

Oh well.  It was a great experience.

Better contact Scooby Douche about that....