Author Topic: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz  (Read 11342 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 03:10:58 am »
St. Pauli Girl is made by Becks. It's not bad, but the dark version is better (once you go dark, baby...). Rolling Rock sadly, is defunct - it was probably the best thing ever to come out of Latrobe, PA. A really smooth lager beer with a nice clean flavor that went perfectly with well, bar food. Heineken sucks. Heineken has always sucked. Except in Holland, where it is apparently not brewed from old shoelaces and the cardboard packing from Chinese appliances. Michelob is even worse, and always seemed to attract the biggest a-holes in New York bars, anyway. Lowenbrau, like Heineken, is far better in Munich, especially during Oktoberfest, when it is being served in huge mugs by pretty girls with huge... smiles.

Listen. When everyone else was drinking Schaffer, Gibbons and Old Mud, those beers were like heaven in comparison. 20-30 years ago people thought hops was something the Easter Bunny did. It was a dark dark time. Hell, even scotch sucked. If you went out somewhere the best you could do was Cutty Sark or Dewars. I favored Teachers but only had it at home. That's why my go to drink was always a Manhattan when I was out.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:26 am »
I've had the Stroh's Squirts before.  It will ruin your tighty whities.
COuldn't have been the beer. Mebbe the Thunderbird or Bali Hai?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 03:16:54 am »
I'm a Pittsburgher and will be the first to say Iron City is simply awful.
Iron City was rough. Not smooth like Grain Belt.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:15 am »
:silly: Yeah... maybe so...

As for the rest, I got nuthin to say... PBRs are in the fridge right now - And it is always a treat when Strohs or Hilemans is found in the store (they are rarely shipped out here), as both of those (Hileman's more so) bring back fond almost-memories of my time back east working around Chicago...

Guess I'm a cheap date....

@Smokin Joe @Wingnut @Unlimited

Saturday Night Live did a parody ad back when. This is Frank Shorts of the Shorts Brewing Co. and I invite you to "Taste My Shorts".
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:52 am »
Iron City was rough. Not smooth like Grain Belt.

I remember Grain Belt being better than Fitgers and Rhinelander.  Point Beer was total wombat piss.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 03:37:03 am »
I remember Grain Belt being better than Fitgers and Rhinelander.  Point Beer was total wombat piss.
Never tried Point. I had Grolsch once, but I think someone put dishwater in the bottle before the liquor store sold it to me. tasted like soap...

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 03:43:22 am »
I had Grolsch once, but I think someone put dishwater in the bottle before the liquor store sold it to me. tasted like soap...

I only bought that once because of the cool stopper bottles. If I recall it was lousy beer.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 03:50:17 am »
@Smokin Joe

Used to drink tons of Olympia before Pabst bought it out.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:34 am »
@Smokin Joe

Used to drink tons of Olympia before Pabst bought it out.
Oly was good. Drinkable.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 05:35:18 am »
I only bought that once because of the cool stopper bottles. If I recall it was lousy beer.

The bottles were neat...at least there was something left the next day, but the beer was nasty.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:52 pm »
Oly was good. Drinkable.

It was my both of  my grandfathers favorite beer. I remember one night out hunting deer with my uncle. We were in his pickup bouncing around in my other uncle's hay field. I asked him if we could put the case of  Oly stubbies under me feet somewhere else. He said keep your feet on it. That is a case of dynamite.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:55 pm »
Oly was good. Drinkable.

So I take it you've had your share of Rainier and Hamms.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 02:15:13 pm »
My dad's beer:

Remember a big ole Falstaff sign at Yankee stadium when I watched Diz and Peewee do the "Saturday Game of the Week" (which was always a Yankee game) as a kid.  Served it at the minor league park in Dallas.

I thought Falstaff was the only beer there was until I was a teenager.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:20:14 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
My wife is going scrapbooking and I have Emmaus teaming tomorrow so I'm gonna kick back with a little Battlefield while sippin on my Billy Dee.

Stroh's was brewed in Winston-Salem in the 70's. I used to pick up plastic there for a recycler. They had little pony bottles in the frig in the break room. They were unsaleable beers due to alcohol content. One of those pony's would mess you straight up.
There was a market in Greensboro that sold beers from other states (read illegal). We used to groove on Matt's, Utica Club and Maximus Super. Eventually, the law won and they closed but they sold a lot of Yankee beer.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 02:41:44 pm »

I was a member of the 'Radar Gang" on the Lexington, home ported in Pensacola.
Until I got my own place, I'd crash with the rest of the gang,
Every night each of us would buy a case apiece of Falstaff Longnecks for about $3.29/case.
And every morning 1 of us would usually fall out during formation.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »

Every night each of us would buy a case apiece of Falstaff Longnecks for about $3.29/case.

What is the penalty for falling out?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
What is the penalty for falling out?

Just a lot of evil looks from the officers.

And with all the pickled eggs we consumed the night before, sometimes our formation fell apart from all the noxious fumes.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
Just a lot of evil looks from the officers.

And with all the pickled eggs we consumed the night before, sometimes our formation fell apart from all the noxious fumes.

I bet you could be tracked on radar with that combo.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 03:20:20 pm »
Listen. When everyone else was drinking Schaffer, Gibbons and Old Mud, those beers were like heaven in comparison. 20-30 years ago people thought hops was something the Easter Bunny did. It was a dark dark time. Hell, even scotch sucked. If you went out somewhere the best you could do was Cutty Sark or Dewars. I favored Teachers but only had it at home. That's why my go to drink was always a Manhattan when I was out.

I am impressed. There are very few Manhattan drinkers left out there, including my father-in-law, who is 89 and a WWII veteran. Canadian whiskey and sweet vermouth. And of course, there's this old nugget... Q: "What has four legs, two arms and one cherry?" A: "Two barmaids and a Manhattan."
Cheers. :beer:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:35 pm »

The beer is skunky, but the stoppered bottles are great for home brewers.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »
My first drink was always a Marguarita just to see.

I'm telling you, sometimes I got the strangest concoctions.

Wingnut

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 04:22:25 pm »

Back in the late 80's the USS Lexington (CV-16) was in for a retrofit in Pensacola.  I think it was just before they retired her.  Go figure? 

Anyway I was working 12 hour shifts. 6pm to 6am down below deck in the engine room of the Lexington and other area's as far below as you gould get without getting wet.   Anyway,  Navy personell on board was limited to a few Petty officers.  I'd break for lunch around 3 am and just start wandering around the ship. I never saw another soul once I headed down to my area.   Now I don't believe in ghosts but I swear something was going  on that Ship.  More than once I would get lost.  I used to see blurry shapes and lights and hear these strange noises . I would follow them and they would lead me out. 

Oh well.  It was a great experience.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:24:08 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 04:45:19 pm »
Back in the late 80's the USS Lexington (CV-16) was in for a retrofit in Pensacola.  I think it was just before they retired her.  Go figure? 

Anyway I was working 12 hour shifts. 6pm to 6am down below deck in the engine room of the Lexington and other area's as far below as you gould get without getting wet.   Anyway,  Navy personell on board was limited to a few Petty officers.  I'd break for lunch around 3 am and just start wandering around the ship. I never saw another soul once I headed down to my area.   Now I don't believe in ghosts but I swear something was going  on that Ship.  More than once I would get lost.  I used to see blurry shapes and lights and hear these strange noises . I would follow them and they would lead me out. 

Oh well.  It was a great experience.

I held many a 2am-6am roving patrol watches. I wandered all over. No spirits that I could remember.

One time the tech on the fathometer thought the transducer was bad.  They unbolted a hatch into the double bottom. It space was full of water. I got the pleasure of bailing out that space with a coffee can into a bucket. Sitting on the bottom, my head was poking out the hatch. Of course once dewatered, Kelly found out the transducer was not the problem.

That fathometer was mounted on the deck, shoulder high, in the chart house. I saw Kelly get across the 4kv B+ supply. He flew backwards onto the deck. There he was quivering like a chicken with his head cut off. Then he stopped and he looked up at all of us and said he was going down to the shop for a cup of coffee. Like he said, he came back with his coffee and went back to troubleshooting, like nothing had happened.

Not me boy! I get the shakes after I get jotted. And I've never been blasted like that.

Wingnut

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 04:56:12 pm »
I have a healthy respect for electricity.  The stuff I was working with down there was 440 volts.  That and all the water and metal decking...... Zapppp.  ouch   One last thing about the Lex.  I loved the hanger deck  (I think that is what it was called) where they strored the planes.  One night I counted all the Jap flags painted on the walls.  Living history.   Probably couldn't do that today for fear of offending someone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:59:28 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2016, 07:13:36 pm »
I have a healthy respect for electricity.  The stuff I was working with down there was 440 volts.  That and all the water and metal decking...... Zapppp.  ouch   One last thing about the Lex.  I loved the hanger deck  (I think that is what it was called) where they strored the planes.  One night I counted all the Jap flags painted on the walls.  Living history.   Probably couldn't do that today for fear of offending someone.

Our compartment was on the level between the hanger deck and the flight deck, right underneath the 4th Arresting Gear Cable. The first trapped plane of night ops was always memorable. I would usually be in a poker game by then. Sometimes you would have a warning from the sound of the air rushing into the intake. But a lot of times all you heard and felt was the tailhook striking the deck right over your head. Poker chips would be flying from the new guys.