Author Topic: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz  (Read 11343 times)

Offline uglybiker

How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz
« on: August 25, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz

Stroh's is coming back to Detroit. Old Style is brewing in La Crosse, Wis., again. And drinkers in New Orleans might soon be sipping on Jax beer, which hasn't been available since the 1970s.

The comebacks are courtesy of Pabst Brewing Co., which is betting that variety-seeking, craft-beer-crazed drinkers will develop an appetite for the classics. The strategy, called "local legends," relies on a two-pronged approach to resurrect old labels that have been dormant for years, as well as breathing life into existing brands via new premium varieties. New line extensions include Old Style Oktoberfest and Stroh's Bohemian-style Pilsner, which are both made in their original hometowns.

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/pabst-reinventing-stroh-s-style-schlitz/305538/?utm_source=CMO%20Strategy&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20AdvertisingAge%2FCMO%20Strategy
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: How Pabst Is Reinventing Stroh's, Old Style, Schlitz
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:27 pm »
Yea! Bring back all the terrible panther piss beers. I was just saying to myself the other day that I wished there were more bland flavorless beers in the market. Miller Lite just isn't enough anymore.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:32:17 pm »
Yea! Bring back all the terrible panther piss beers. I was just saying to myself the other day that I wished there were more bland flavorless beers in the market. Miller Lite just isn't enough anymore.

F'n A, bubba!  You tell 'em!

Seriously -- when I can buy excellent, locally-brewed beers for not much more, why would I drink that recycled piss?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:51:24 pm »
Do they still make Red, White, and Blue?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:57:50 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »
You bunch of Beer snobs. I swear...ain't nothing worse than a reformed harlet unless it is a old Natty Light drinker who found a taste bud.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:44:25 pm »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:51:43 pm »
I expect these will be the older, less watered down recipes they have in the vault from back in the day.

Recently bought a six of Coors Banquet, which is a fuller bodied beer made along those lines. It is quite good.
The Republic is lost.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:00:00 pm »
I expect these will be the older, less watered down recipes they have in the vault from back in the day.

Recently bought a six of Coors Banquet, which is a fuller bodied beer made along those lines. It is quite good.

That's true, actually.  I don't prefer Coors, but it's eminently drinkable.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »

They did that with Schlitz.  Found the old recipe from the 60's before they changed it to try and draw more drinkers with an  Unsophisticated Palate.   All they managed to do was lose their base of core drinkers....  And they died.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »
You bunch of Beer snobs. I swear...ain't nothing worse than a reformed harlet unless it is a old Natty Light drinker who found a taste bud.
They shoulda been drinking National Bohemian, that's why. Or Ballantine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »
They shoulda been drinking National Bohemian, that's why. Or Ballantine.

Had a boss who swore by Ballantine.  As a substitute for penitrating oil.  He kept a can in the shop fridge with a skull and crossbones one it. 

Edit.   Upon further reflection.....It might have been Iorn City not Ballantine
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:55:58 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:48:10 pm »

I always drank better stuff. St Pauly Girl, Rolling Rock, Heineken, Michalob, Lowenbrau. I don't think they make half of those anymore.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »

Exactly right with Schlitz. It is brewed per the original recipe of the "Beer that made Milwaukee famous".  It too is full-bodied.  I have a burger joint/tap near me that has it available and it is my choice when I am there. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 08:11:44 pm »
Stroh's spelled backwards is shorts.   Just sayin'.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
Back in college and grad school too, we all used to drink the cheap stuff, largely because that was all we could afford. In upstate New York, it was usually Utica Club or Genessee Cream Ale, the latter of which had a well-deserved reputation for producing prodigious amounts of flatulence. Thus, Genny Cream proved a poor choice for road trips, especially in the cooler months of the year, when one's car windows had to remain cracked only enough to allow smoke to billow out as required, which in those days (the 1970s) it usually was. 

In Ohio, we used to drink great amounts of Stroh's and P.O.C., which was known locally as "Pride of Cleveland", but which actually stood for Pilsener On Call, which, believe me after four or five quick cans had one's kidneys calling out loudly for relief. And then....there was the legendary Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor. For trips down to Kent State and to Michigan-Ohio State games, Mickey's turned out to be the perfect road beer for a car full of guys who didn't want to have to pull over for any reason. So, Mickey's allowed for non-stop trips, and for reasons that ought to be obvious....

Yep. They entered the car full. And left the same way. Only out the window and a lot warmer.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:07 pm »

The flavor was not dissimilar.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:13 pm »
The flavor was not dissimilar.
I dunno, never tried shorts.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:22 pm »

I've had the Stroh's Squirts before.  It will ruin your tighty whities.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 09:15:05 pm »
I always drank better stuff. St Pauly Girl, Rolling Rock, Heineken, Michalob, Lowenbrau. I don't think they make half of those anymore.
St. Pauli Girl is made by Becks. It's not bad, but the dark version is better (once you go dark, baby...). Rolling Rock sadly, is defunct - it was probably the best thing ever to come out of Latrobe, PA. A really smooth lager beer with a nice clean flavor that went perfectly with well, bar food. Heineken sucks. Heineken has always sucked. Except in Holland, where it is apparently not brewed from old shoelaces and the cardboard packing from Chinese appliances. Michelob is even worse, and always seemed to attract the biggest a-holes in New York bars, anyway. Lowenbrau, like Heineken, is far better in Munich, especially during Oktoberfest, when it is being served in huge mugs by pretty girls with huge... smiles. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 10:30:26 pm »
Heineken has always sucked. Except in Holland, where it is apparently not brewed from old shoelaces and the cardboard packing from Chinese appliances.

lol... Nice turn of phrase, there.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 02:23:26 am »

Why did that cause White Castle hamburgers to come to mind?  :pondering:

nevermind....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 02:24:37 am »
Had a boss who swore by Ballantine.  As a substitute for penitrating oil.  He kept a can in the shop fridge with a skull and crossbones one it. 

Edit.   Upon further reflection.....It might have been Iorn City not Ballantine
I'm a Pittsburgher and will be the first to say Iron City is simply awful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:35 am »
Mistook the "o" for an "a"?  I know I misread "shorts".

:silly: Yeah... maybe so...

As for the rest, I got nuthin to say... PBRs are in the fridge right now - And it is always a treat when Strohs or Hilemans is found in the store (they are rarely shipped out here), as both of those (Hileman's more so) bring back fond almost-memories of my time back east working around Chicago...

Guess I'm a cheap date....