Author Topic: Why Did Mylan Hike EpiPen Prices 400%? Because They Could  (Read 6280 times)

Offline thackney

Why Did Mylan Hike EpiPen Prices 400%? Because They Could
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:49:03 pm »
Why Did Mylan Hike EpiPen Prices 400%? Because They Could
http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2016/08/21/why-did-mylan-hike-epipen-prices-400-because-they-could/#10d7e67c477a
AUG 21, 2016

Mylan pharmaceutical company has a virtual monopoly on EpiPens after a voluntary recall felled their only competitor*, Sanofi’s Auvi-Q, over possible dosage miscalibrations. It’s not the drug being delivered that brings the bucks, though—epinephrine’s a cheap generic. The cost trickery is in the delivery system, the Mylan EpiPen.

The EpiPen’s been around since 1977, but Mylan acquired the autoinjector—which precisely calibrates the epinephrine dosage—in 2007. The patient now pays about 400% more for this advantage to receive a dollar’s worth of the lifesaving drug: EpiPens were about $57 when Mylan acquired it. Today, it can empty pockets of $500 or more in the U.S. (European nations take a different approach to these things).

It’s what the market will bear, so what’s the problem, right? Only this: Somewhere, right now, a cash-strapped parent or budget-limited patient with a severe allergy will skip acquiring an EpiPen. And someday, they will need it in a life-threatening situation involving exposure to a trigger…and they won’t have it. And they will die. Because they couldn’t afford the delivery mechanism for $1 worth of a drug to keep them alive. Two turning points, a death and one company at the crossroads.

According to NBC, Mylan’s profits from selling EpiPens, which they have aggressively, famously marketed with brilliant success, hit $1.2 billion in 2015. That year, Bloomberg reported that the epinephrine-delivery system represented 40% of Mylan’s operating profits. Bloomberg calls Mylan’s marketing of the EpiPen “a textbook case in savvy branding.”

That savvy comes at steep and increasing individual cost. Even after insurance pays, the customer can be out $400 or more for a pack of two pens, a dollar value that can vary depending on how high the deductible is. And most customers need EpiPens for home and at school for their child (Mylan does have a program that offers free EpiPens to U.S. schools). Indeed, guidelines call for prescribing two doses in case the first one fails, which Mylan used as an opportunity to cease selling single pens and begin selling only two-packs. As one parent wrote in response to this article, which has been updated:

You have left out/misreported one important detail, which is that with a life-threatening allergy, you are supposed to have 2 EpiPens at all times. If you administer one and it is more than 15 minutes before you are in emergency care, you have to administer the second one. So the pack of 2 is not meant to have 1 at school and 1 at home; it is because you need both with you at all times. This means that you need a pack of 2 at school and a pack of 2 at home for each person with severe allergies. In our case, with 2 kids, we have to have 8 at all times: 2 for each child at school and 2 for each child at home, and that is if we don’t even use them! If we do have to use one, we have to purchase more.

excerpted...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline dfwgator

Re: Why Did Mylan Hike EpiPen Prices 400%? Because They Could
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
 Maybe if we actually started enforcing Anti-Trust Laws again.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:42 pm »
Why Did Mylan Hike EpiPen Prices 400%?

because the CEO is a sleazy douchebag

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »

"I'm here to take what you've got!"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:59:00 pm by geronl »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:01:13 pm »

Definitely a Hillary voter.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:02:29 pm »
Not 'because they could'.  Because the government mandated new regulations around them. In 2010, the government mandated they begin to sell Epipens in 2 packs and people with severe allergies carry 2. Starting in 2014, the government mandated that hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, and resorts keep them on hand. In 2015, the government loosened liability regulations around the use or misuse of Epipens, putting the manufacturer at greater legal risk and their insurance rates to skyrocket.

It isn't 'because they could', it is because they have to keep wrangling with constant government interventionism.

And now everyone is falling in with Chuck Schumer's line that this has to do with anti-trust and monopolies (thus giving the government more power) when government interventionism is what the real problem was.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:04:06 pm by AbaraXas »

geronl

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:05:52 pm »
Definitely a Hillary voter.

hahaha... A Bernie man!

from Open Secrets:

SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016   TURING PHARMACEUTICALS AG   7/18/2015   $33,400   Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte
SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016   TURING PHARMACEUTICALS   8/26/2015   $2,700   Jawando, Will
SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016   TURING PHARMACEUTICALS   9/2/2015   $2,700   Jawando, Will
SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016   TURING PHARMACEUTICALS AG   9/28/2015   $2,700   Sanders, Bernie

SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016   TURING PHARMACEUTICALS   9/28/2015   $2,600   Meeks, Gregory W
SHKRELI, MARTIN
NEW YORK,NY 10016      12/22/2015   $-33,400   Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte

does this mean they gave the money back??
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:09:27 pm by geronl »

geronl

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »
Not 'because they could'.  Because the government mandated new regulations around them.

The guy is a creep. He gives to the Democrats and they give him guaranteed buyers with their mandates.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »

Except he is not the CEO of Mylan.

http://www.mylan.com/en/company/leadership
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »

Wrong CEO.

But if you will read the article, you will see that he had the gall to criticize Mylan, after his company,  Turing Pharmaceuticals, jacked up the Melaria-HIV price 5,000%

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:27:27 pm »

Consumers do have access to a generic version of a calibrated delivery device for epinephrine, the Adrenaclick. According to Consumer Reports:

But EpiPen isn’t the only epinephrine injector on the market; the authorized generic of Adrenaclick (epinephrine auto-injector), is a cheaper option—we found it for $142 at Walmart and Sam’s Club using a coupon from GoodRx. While generic Adrenaclick isn’t the same technology and is used differently than EpiPen, both auto-injectors contain the same drug, epinephrine, available in the same dosages, says Barbara Young, Pharm.D., of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »
It isn't 'because they could', it is because they have to keep wrangling with constant government interventionism.

And now everyone is falling in with Chuck Schumer's line that this has to do with anti-trust and monopolies (thus giving the government more power) when government interventionism is what the real problem was.

“...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.”

-Ronald Reagan
Inaugural Address
January 20, 1981
http://www.heritage.org/initiatives/first-principles/primary-sources/reagans-first-inaugural-government-is-not-the-solution-to-our-problem-government-is-the-problem

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »
Not 'because they could'.  Because the government mandated new regulations around them. In 2010, the government mandated they begin to sell Epipens in 2 packs and people with severe allergies carry 2. Starting in 2014, the government mandated that hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, and resorts keep them on hand. In 2015, the government loosened liability regulations around the use or misuse of Epipens, putting the manufacturer at greater legal risk and their insurance rates to skyrocket.

I'm really stuck on this one.  I work in HIPAA Compliance and am in hospitals and other health care organizations on a daily basis.  The amount of regulations they deal with is STAGGERING.  The amount of risk of lawsuits for a multitude of reasons is worse.  Throw in the insurance bureaucrats and I'm amazed anyone stays in healthcare.   

That said, when it comes to HIPAA compliance and/or computer security most organizations simply wont do it without a big stick threatening them.  They wont spend the money because its the right thing to do, they wont even do it because its the law.   They will only do whats necessary to avoid govt fines and/or lawsuits.   This isn't really limited to healthcare; no CEO will spend money to protect  your personal information, credit card, financial, or heck even your children's information because its the right thing to do.

They don't care because the boards don't care.   They are more concerned with their numbers than with your data. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:12:22 am »

Where's the anti-trust violation?  If there's a monopoly, it's a natural monopoly based on the government-sanctioned patent and the failure of their competitor (presumably not due to illegal efforts on the party of Mylan).

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 01:18:17 am »
How can this be solved by increasing freedom?

(I'm going to start asking that with everything)

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 01:27:01 am »

Could always get rid of statutory patents and instead rely on court-developed common law for protection of rights in intellectual property.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:28 pm »

A generic version already exists at a significantly lower cost.  I don't understand why it isn't used more.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:29:47 pm »
Except he is not the CEO of Mylan.

http://www.mylan.com/en/company/leadership
The CEO, Heather Bresch, is the daughter of Sen. Joe Manchin (D-Obama bootlicker, W.Va.).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:07 pm »
A generic version already exists at a significantly lower cost.  I don't understand why it isn't used more.

I suspect this has something to do with it:

EpiPen, Adrenaclick, Twinject, and the authorized generic to Adrenaclick have an FDA Orange Book rating of “BX,” indicating that insufficient evidence exists to determine therapeutic equivalence. This rating indicates that these epinephrine auto-injector products are not therapeutically equivalent to each other. For example, the other products should not be substituted and dispensed when EpiPen Auto-Injector is prescribed, unless the prescriber is consulted and agrees to change the prescription.

In addition to the lack of therapeutic equivalence among epinephrine auto-injector products, differences exist between the auto-injector devices’ appearance, administration technique, and dose verification ...

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/p2p/p2pepinephrine-0910

I do know that I have to replace my son's four Epi-Pens in about two weeks, and I will be asking the pediatrician about using a less expensive option.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:28 pm »

They don't care because the boards don't care.   They are more concerned with their numbers than with your data.

I deal with FERPA data. We walk the line between protecting data and making it easily available. It's almost a joke. The biggest violators are the people charged with enforcing it. They make up arbitrary rules and then ignore them.
Countdown to Resignation

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »

I do know that I have to replace my son's four Epi-Pens in about two weeks, and I will be asking the pediatrician about using a less expensive option.

Let us know.  My wife's are about to pass their expiration date this winter.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »
Let us know.  My wife's are about to pass their expiration date this winter.

@Wingnut  I will do that.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »

I wonder how much Mylan "influenced" the FDA to get the "BX" ratings of alternatives.  The medicine is identical.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 01:06:49 pm »
I wonder how much Mylan "influenced" the FDA to get the "BX" ratings of alternatives.  The medicine is identical.

I did some reading last week and it seems the drug is the same.  But the delivery system and steps to inject are different. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:07:08 pm by Wingnut »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 01:09:21 pm »

"I wonder how much Mylan "influenced" the FDA to get the "BX" ratings of alternatives.  The medicine is identical."

The relationship between these big companies and govt regulators is very very VERY incestuous.  Not much happens as far as regulation that these big companies don't sign off on.   Because the govt people might want a job when they leave the govt.  A very well paying job.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.