Author Topic: Liberty-Loving Gary Johnson Wants A Carbon Tax to Solve Climate Change  (Read 2544 times)

Offline libertybele

'Liberty-Loving' Gary Johnson wants a carbon tax to solve climate change

Former New Mexico governor and marijuana entrepreneur Gary Johnson has floated another idea that shows he is far from a libertarian purist. After picking the statist Bill Weld as his running mate, Johnson presented a “free market” (read: statist) idea to combat so-called global warming this weekend: a form of cap and trade.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Juneau Empire published over the weekend, Johnson laid out his plan:

“I do believe that climate change is occurring. I do believe that it is man-caused,” Johnson said.

To address climate change, Johnson said he believes “that there can be and is a free-market approach to climate change.”

That would include a fee — not a tax, he said — placed on carbon. Such a fee would make pollutants bear a market cost.

A fee on carbon emissions is the centerpiece of progressive attempts to institute a cap and trade scheme on American industry. Progressives such as Johnson like to describe cap and trade as a “market-based” approach to “solving” what they perceive as man-made global warming. Johnson has once again co-opted the language of the Left for one of his own policy positions.

This seems to be a departure from a position Johnson held during the 2012 campaign when he came out against a cap and trade scheme...

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/08/liberty-loving-gary-johnson-wants-a-carbon-tax-to-solve-climate-change#sthash.Rn9KWJap.dpuf
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Liberty-Loving Gary Johnson Wants A Carbon Tax to Solve Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:42:11 pm »
He could have done so well this election, if he'd actually been liberty-loving.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:42:35 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »
And some say smoking dope doesn't cause brain damage.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:48:22 pm »
Libertarian, my fat butt.
Countdown to Resignation

geronl

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:43 pm »
Gary Johnson is a liberal. He even bashes "All Lives Matter".

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »
Libertarian, my fat butt.

I don't like his pro-amnesty stance and he wants to cut the military. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »
It is difficult to be an ideological purist and address the practical realities of the President's job.   Pragmatism and purity often conflict.   

Climate change is one of those issues where the very word puts folks at odds.   Is it occurring?  Is it caused by man?   Even if it is occurring and is caused by man, is there anything efficacious that public policy can do about it?

Nothing that Gary Johnson says about this issue is likely to be satisfying to his critics, on either the right or the left.   To me, the best approach is to concentrate on the subject of pollution - air quality and water quality - and the conservation of natural resources.   Conservatives and liberals alike agree on the need to reduce pollution, and to reduce waste.   And we know that reducing pollution and waste will have measurable effects on the quality of our lives.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »
Gary Johnson is a liberal. He even bashes "All Lives Matter".

Did he? Do you have a link for that?

Offline Leto

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:52:38 pm »
Johnson also is a squish on religious freedom.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »
Even the alternate candidates suck.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 06:13:24 pm »
Even the alternate candidates suck.

That's why Evan McMullin joined the race.  Check him out. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »
Libertarians are not happy with Johnson right now, that's for sure. He is pivoting leftward on a lot of issues to go after Bernie supporters, but in doing so, leaving conservatarians and traditional libertarians behind.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:09 pm »
That's why Evan McMullin joined the race.  Check him out.

McMullin's platform and political stances before running for President:

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »
Although I think there's some brilliant trolling going on here. "A fee, not a tax" is the exact same claim they made about Obamacare.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »
Makes him DOA.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline CSM

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »
I can't believe that the Libertarian party allowed such a ripe election season to go to waste with his nomination.  They couldn't have made a worse nomination!  I was begging to vote Libertarian this election and then I saw who they nominated.  I might as well vote for Hillary.....not thanks.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »
Gary Johnson is not the conservative we are looking for. And neither is Trump and certainly not Hillary.  That's the dilemma and the situation we gotten ourselves into. We were told and even believed that the 17 candidates we started with were the best collection of candidates we have had in decades - and then as if someone hit the self-destruct button, started eliminating them one at a time starting with Scott Walker, ending with Ted Cruz. leaving us with the most liberal of the pack Trump.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 05:52:26 pm »
Although I think there's some brilliant trolling going on here. "A fee, not a tax" is the exact same claim they made about Obamacare.

Whether it's a fee or a tax, it matters not one iota. It will be passed on to consumers.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.