Author Topic: Target Dims Outlook as Sales Struggle Sales at Target’s existing stores fall for the first time in more than two years  (Read 1180 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Target Corp. said sales at existing stores fell for the first time in more than two years and warned of further weakness, signs that Chief Executive Brian Cornell’s turnaround push has stalled.

The retailer cut its view for the full year, now forecasting $4.80 to $5.20 in adjusted earnings per share, after saying in May that its original target of $5.20 to $5.40 was still achievable despite weakness in the first half. For the year, Target expects same-store sales to be flat to down 2%.

For the current quarter ending in September, Target expects to earn an adjusted 75 cents to 95 cents a share, compared with the 95 cents analysts have expected.
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Shares of the company fell 5.6% to $71.24 in premarket trading.

“Based on the current retail environment, the company believes it is prudent to lower its expectations for comparable sales in the second half of the year,” Target said Wednesday. “Although we are planning for a challenging environment in the back half of the year, we believe we have the right strategy to restore traffic and sales growth over time,” Mr. Cornell said.

During the quarter, sales at existing stores fell 1.1%. Target had warned that sales at stores open at least a year could drop 2% during the quarter, in part because of a dwindling store traffic. Analysts had predicted a 0.9% decline, and a year earlier, same-store sales climbed 2.4%. The fall is the first since April 2014 and worst since the start of 2014.

Mr. Cornell took over as CEO in 2014 and has been working to reinvigorate sales by focusing on higher-margin categories, shuffling management and embarking on cost cuts. But the company’s second-quarter report and outlook for the year suggests his turnaround efforts are running out of steam as retailers across the spectrum contend with falling foot traffic and American consumers who are changing what they buy and where they buy it. For Target, an extra source of weakness is its grocery segment, which represents a fifth of sales and is an area where the company has focused on freshening up its aisles.

Target “continues to be impacted by challenged consumers across multiple income demographics, as well as a food business that still needs to gain traction,” said Charlie O’Shea, analyst at Moody’s Investors Service. The guidance cut reflects that “back-to-school, college and holiday selling seasons may not provide [a] meaningful sales lift,” and both seasons are likely to be highly promotional, he said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/target-dims-outlook-as-sales-struggle-1471431793

Target seems to be blaming consumers who it says are 'challenged'.  Nowhere is there any word about management practices which could be impacting sales, such as the decision in April 19 to drive away customers with transgender policies.

Since April, Target has lost billions in value for its shareholders.  Compared to its main competitor Walmart, it is losing customers and business

My daughter in law with my three grand-daughters was hesitant to go to Target following its announcement of its new bathroom policy, but went anyway because it had a family restroom that did not have to be shared with men.  While shopping, she took the kids to the family restroom only to find it locked.  When she asked the Target employee why it was locked, she was told that it was reserved for Target employees only.  She will never return to Target again. 

This behavior sounds like the liberal elite who make walls to protect themselves while keeping our borders open and keep themselves safe with armed guards but wish to disarm us.

No wonder the company is going into the toilet.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

geronl

They should have asked JC Penney's about that whole "let's go gay" thing

Offline dfwgator

Offline r9etb

They should have asked JC Penney's about that whole "let's go gay" thing

Well, I suppose that's a possible explanation: their corporate political position could have created a vague animus against them.

But moreso I think it's just that Target is competing against stores like Kohl's for a lot of the things people are shopping for, and Target's quality and selection in areas like clothing seems a lot lower.  In terms of location, Kohl's tends to be better situated than Target, also.  Penney's has the same problems.

Well, I suppose that's a possible explanation: their corporate political position could have created a vague animus against them.

But moreso I think it's just that Target is competing against stores like Kohl's for a lot of the things people are shopping for, and Target's quality and selection in areas like clothing seems a lot lower.  In terms of location, Kohl's tends to be better situated than Target, also.  Penney's has the same problems.

Locating stores properly is a management decision which is negatively affecting them.  There are likely others as well. Where I live, the Target and Walmart are across the street, and Kohls is three blocks away, so that has no impact.

As far as management's political acumen in blaming their own consumers for their decline, that speaks for itself.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline r9etb

As far as management's political acumen in blaming their own consumers for their decline, that speaks for itself.

You're referring to this line, I think: "Target 'continues to be impacted by challenged consumers across multiple income demographics, as well as a food business that still needs to gain traction.'”

That sounds like code-speak for "we can't compete with Wal-Mart." 

Wingnut

If you cut to the chase, there are better shopping options for consumers than the slightly over price goods Target offers.  Up until this "pick which penis you are comfortable with sharing in a  bathroom" thing target decide to crusade for and get out in front of ...I rarely shopped there.

You're referring to this line, I think: "Target 'continues to be impacted by challenged consumers across multiple income demographics, as well as a food business that still needs to gain traction.'”

That sounds like code-speak for "we can't compete with Wal-Mart."

That could be that Walmart is too much for them.

I also see some issues with them claiming they disallowed concealed carry in their stores as they wished to promote a 'family friendly' atmosphere yet then decided to discount the need to keep traditional families, who constitutes the bulk of their consumers, happy with the bathroom policy.

The management of a great company would have noticed the locked bathroom situation exposed by my daughter-in-law and done some firing as a consequence.  Target mgt seems to be tone-deaf.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The moment you take a political position from the pulpit, you alienate half the congregation. Target found that adage to be true.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

The management of a great company would have noticed the locked bathroom situation exposed by my daughter-in-law and done some firing as a consequence.  Target mgt seems to be tone-deaf.

Local management may agree with locking the doors as they don't want to deal with transgendered while in the bathroom themselves.  Or deal with employees that deal with the transgendered...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Local management may agree with locking the doors as they don't want to deal with transgendered while in the bathroom themselves.  Or deal with employees that deal with the transgendered...

Then wouldn't it seem that the way out for them is to have a private toilet somewhere else in the back?  When I worked retail, we always did.

Then wouldn't it seem that the way out for them is to have a private toilet somewhere else in the back?  When I worked retail, we always did.

Looks like I spoke too soon. They are now announcing they will flush $20mm more of shareholder cash down the proverbial toilet.  http://www.wsj.com/articles/target-to-spend-20-million-to-roll-out-private-bathrooms-to-all-stores-1471453630

The problem remains when Target employees lock this bathroom to customers and reserve it for themselves, as my daughter-in-law found out recently.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:39:30 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Now Target is blaming Apple products for its earning decline.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2016/08/17/apple-has-a-lot-riding-on-the-iphone-7-just-ask-target/#694392867169

Like Obama, they will never admit they were wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:41:14 am by IsailedawayfromFR »