Author Topic: Is Linux Too Dumbed Down?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

Is Linux Too Dumbed Down?
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:16:46 pm »
   Over the years, I've heard some people claim that Linux is finally ready for the masses. I would suggest that outside of a completely locked down OS such as ChromeOS (which is Linux powered), no OS is genuinely ready for the masses. Instead, it has been my experience that the masses should stick to tablets and Chromebooks.
Smartphones make us dumb

I can see how my view of most computer users would seem a bit harsh. But I'd also be the first to point out that using smartphones have made all of us "dumb" in the sense that our complacency is at an all time high. Comparatively speaking, the difference between smartphones and PCs in terms of root access is night and day.

On a computer, running Linux...root is a mere command away from any terminal. With iOS or Android, you must gain access to a deeper level of the phone in order to have this sort of power. It's not nearly as simple and therein lays the comparative difference.

Most people believe their smartphones are completely safe from exploits and other malicious behavior because they have never experienced it on these devices. Mind you, I didn't claim this was a valid point of view. Rather, this is simply a widespread interpretation of how safe smartphones are. These devices also present a minimal learning curve for most people, so there is little to no reason to learn anything new about them.

Excerpt:
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/is-linux-too-dumbed-down.html

Offline ShadowAce

Re: Is Linux Too Dumbed Down?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »

geronl

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:06 am »

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
Then perhaps a flavor of linux should be released that will make it harder to get to the superuser.  Just as the superadministrator account in Windows can be accessed, but is not automatically available.

This could, perhaps, be implemented through an appropriate GUI.  I say this because the average retail user will never be able to handle command-line access to an OS and will stick with the GUI.  Those that eventually do will have gone through a learning process by having to figure out how to get to the command-line and the additional powers/abilities that unlocks which should make them more aware of the dangers of going superuser.

As far as being ready for RTM, I do think that some of the linux distros are there, or almost there; some of the GUIs are quite impressive.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:24 pm »
They have come a long way from start x

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:57 pm »
They have come a long way from start x

That's for sure!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:32:31 pm »

Just read about your biking accident on TOS - Sure hope you are doing better - Day late and a dollar short, I know, but I hardly go there anymore, and didn't get the ping.

@ShadowAce

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 01:01:12 am »

Great to see you here!  I was a lurker over at TOS, and I enjoyed coming across your posts.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:29:44 am »
Just read about your biking accident on TOS - Sure hope you are doing better - Day late and a dollar short, I know, but I hardly go there anymore, and didn't get the ping.
@roamer_1

Thanks!  I'm back at work now--was out of the office for 8 weeks, but I'm down to only one issue left with my injuries.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 10:54:40 am »
The first time I tried linux, about 10 years ago, I got so frustrated - I was coming from a WinXP background - I actually got suspended from an online forum for 4 days for generally nasty behavior (in retrospect, I think the suspension was too gracious by half).  I think the big problems were (a) not sufficiently appreciating the differences between the two, such as the file structure, and (b) having no real experience with a real command-line interface because Windows' CMD interface barely qualifies as a real interface, let alone an interface from which real work can be done.

Last year I set up another installation of a recently released version, and was reasonably comfortable with it.  I have it running on a homebrew server that I can only access remotely, so I haven't made a lot of use of it, particularly of late since I'm working so much, but I did enjoy it and would be tempted to make it my primary OS if I were using a desktop, particularly one that was a few years old.

I would contribute my more successful second experience to two things:

(a) I am much more proficient with a command-line interface; I've been working extensively with Windows powershell for about 8 years now, and can now do quite a bit from that interface (btw, powershell is much, much more than just an interface; it has access to most of the .NET assemblies in the OS and can effectively be used as a programming language. I have written several programs I used fairly frequently, including one that displays a file in 16-column two-digit hexadecimal format with header numbers and column numbers, one that extracts EXIF data from jpg image files, and one that can parse pdf files up to about version 1.5, extract the text, and display it in a plain text format that is more or less representative of the text as it is displayed in the pdf itself); and

(b) the vast development of the GUIs that now sit on top of linux.  In the fullness of time I expect to be able to do just about everything from command-line, however, the GUI is a great way to familiarize yourself with the layout in a very high level view, and in a way that is recognizable to a Windows user, which facilitates the transition process immensely.

Hopefully, when I finally get some more personal time, I'll be able to really learn, and enjoy, linux.  I don't think I'll ever get to the level of rolling my own flavor of linux, but I do hope to be able to do everything I do on Windows now, as well as some more extensive programming.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:12:38 am »
Our house has  three laptops and two desk tops and they all run linux , with one desktop duel booting with win 10. for the rare times we need windows.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:04:36 pm »
@roamer_1

Thanks!  I'm back at work now--was out of the office for 8 weeks, but I'm down to only one issue left with my injuries.

'One issue left' could be good or bad - Hopefully not a serious thing... But one way or the other, I'm pullin for ya, and I hope you're back to square one ASAP. 

geronl

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »
@roamer_1

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 06:26:29 pm »
   Over the years, I've heard some people claim that Linux is finally ready for the masses. I would suggest that outside of a completely locked down OS such as ChromeOS (which is Linux powered), no OS is genuinely ready for the masses. Instead, it has been my experience that the masses should stick to tablets and Chromebooks.
Smartphones make us dumb

I can see how my view of most computer users would seem a bit harsh. But I'd also be the first to point out that using smartphones have made all of us "dumb" in the sense that our complacency is at an all time high. Comparatively speaking, the difference between smartphones and PCs in terms of root access is night and day.

On a computer, running Linux...root is a mere command away from any terminal. With iOS or Android, you must gain access to a deeper level of the phone in order to have this sort of power. It's not nearly as simple and therein lays the comparative difference.

Most people believe their smartphones are completely safe from exploits and other malicious behavior because they have never experienced it on these devices. Mind you, I didn't claim this was a valid point of view. Rather, this is simply a widespread interpretation of how safe smartphones are. These devices also present a minimal learning curve for most people, so there is little to no reason to learn anything new about them.

Excerpt:
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/is-linux-too-dumbed-down.html

My goal is to get where I never have to use a computer again (without going to jail).   Not to learn more about the flavor of the month.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 06:32:26 pm »
I do unix/linux all day at work on a command line. When linux can easily play Call of Duty and Battlefield, I'll think about it. Until then, it stays in a VM at home.

My sister gave me a laptop that was slow. I deleted the heavily infected Windows Vista and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. It's is blazingly fast.
Countdown to Resignation

geronl

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »
I do unix/linux all day at work on a command line. When linux can easily play Call of Duty and Battlefield, I'll think about it. Until then, it stays in a VM at home.

There are some good games that play on Linux, its just my old Ubuntu machine has 2 gigs of RAM... if it had 8, I'd be playing things like WAR THUNDER on it!

I play War Thunder on this Win 8.1 machine though.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
There are some good games that play on Linux, its just my old Ubuntu machine has 2 gigs of RAM... if it had 8, I'd be playing things like WAR THUNDER on it!

I play War Thunder on this Win 8.1 machine though.
I play on steam and have 2 gig of ram and you are right , more ram is needed

geronl

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:08 am »

We need more RAM, Captain!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:35:48 am »
Fedora is a great user interface for Linux.

I know more about Unix/Linux than I will ever know about Windows. So for me, I live on the command line down in the guts.

But Fedora is pretty good for people who need that windows-ish look-and-feel.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 02:24:36 am »

The same company (from Russia) that does War Thunder also does Star Conflict, a sci-fi game where you fly around shooting other players on the other team.

Apparently Star Conflict is also available on Linux via STEAM

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 10:41:12 pm »
(a) I am much more proficient with a command-line interface; I've been working extensively with Windows powershell for about 8 years now, and can now do quite a bit from that interface (btw, powershell is much, much more than just an interface; it has access to most of the .NET assemblies in the OS and can effectively be used as a programming language. I have written several programs I used fairly frequently, including one that displays a file in 16-column two-digit hexadecimal format with header numbers and column numbers, one that extracts EXIF data from jpg image files, and one that can parse pdf files up to about version 1.5, extract the text, and display it in a plain text format that is more or less representative of the text as it is displayed in the pdf itself);

Not intending to start any kind of flame war, but in the Linux/Unix world we call that shell scripting, and we've been doing it for at least 20 years.  Just saying...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 10:44:12 pm »
Fedora is a great user interface for Linux.

Well, Fedora is a distro, not a user interface, but I agree its GUI isn't bad at all.  As you say, I never bothered with GUIs on any of the servers or network devices I admined, but for desktop and laptop systems they're quite nice. (I'm on a Linux Mint system at the moment).
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 01:48:08 am »
Not intending to start any kind of flame war, but in the Linux/Unix world we call that shell scripting, and we've been doing it for at least 20 years.  Just saying...

I wouldn't take it that way.  That's the thing about Windows:  until Powershell was developed you basically couldn't do scripting worth a hill of beans.  CMD was basically useful for setting a few things up to go off at a certain time and doing simple file rename/copy/move/delete chores, but any more sophisticated scripting was out of the question.  One of the main developers of Powershell, Bruce Payette, did a really good job in his book Windows Powershell in Action of discussing CMD's deficiencies, how Powershell was designed to fix them, and then how, once they had the bit in their teeth, they took it to the next level.  I would tend to consider powershell along the lines of a full-fledged interpreted (as opposed to compiled) programming language, akin, in that conceptual framework, to the old BASIC programming language, that was also interpreted.

And I know that the *nix systems have pretty much had that capacity for ages and ages.  I haven't really had the time to get as deep into linux shell scripting as I did with Powershell, but I have the books and etc - I'm still a paper pages kind of person when it comes to learning things - and as/when I have the time I want to work on it.

Offline Blizzardnh

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
http://www.ostechnix.com/how-to-install-windows-powershell-in-linux/

Ni-i-i-i-i-i-ce!!!

Just out of curiosity, does the installation come with a full installation of .NET as well, or does that have to be installed directly?  Or is this version of Powershell rewritten to access the underlying linux libraries instead?