Author Topic: Donald Trump Will Speak With Hundreds of Pastors About Overturning the Johnson Amendment  (Read 2226 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Donald Trump Will Speak With Hundreds of Pastors About Overturning the Johnson Amendment

Donald Trump will be on the presidential campaign trail in Florida this week, speaking with hundreds of pastors in Florida about overturning the Johnson Amendment, which essentially prevents pastors from speaking on politics.

During his Republican nomination acceptance speech, Trump specifically reached out to evangelicals and pro-life voters with a message about religious liberty and allowing pastors and priests the opportunity to preach pro-life political values from the pulpit.

“At this moment, I would like to thank the evangelical community who have been so good to me and so supportive. You have so much to contribute to our politics, yet our laws prevent you from speaking your minds from your own pulpits,” Trump said. “An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views. I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.”

More: http://www.lifenews.com/2016/08/09/donald-trump-will-speak-with-hundreds-of-pastors-about-overturning-the-johnson-amendment/

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I'll be hanged. Trump actually said something that made sense. I wonder what the name of the policy wonk that suggested this is and how long till he back peddles it?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

Churches should never register for any tax status anyway. There is nothing that prevents pastors from speaking on politics.

Online roamer_1

Churches should never register for any tax status anyway. There is nothing that prevents pastors from speaking on politics.

That's problematic for an entity in the business of charity - Without non-profit status, what's the write-off for charitable contributions? 10k?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
This is just another smoke screen like the "wall."  The president wouldn't really have options to deal with this.  It's a congressional issue.  Johnson got it through as a senator.

Online roamer_1

This is just another smoke screen like the "wall."  The president wouldn't really have options to deal with this.  It's a congressional issue.  Johnson got it through as a senator.

But it does make one wonder why he keeps on throwing red meat to the Christians... I thought everyone said they are already in his corner....

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
But it does make one wonder why he keeps on throwing red meat to the Christians... I thought everyone said they are already in his corner....

Heh... just more of the "long con."

Oceander

Exactly.  If you get government-recognized tax-exempt status, then you've let the devil pay the piper, so you can hardly be surprised when the devil calls the tune.

Offline RoosGirl

He's had decades to work for conservative causes, and with his supposed wealth been in a position to have at least a moderate amount of influence, but now we're supposed to believe he's going to tackle this decades old law from position of POTUS?  Sure.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
He's had decades to work for conservative causes, and with his supposed wealth been in a position to have at least a moderate amount of influence, but now we're supposed to believe he's going to tackle this decades old law from position of POTUS?  Sure.

:amen:

Offline mountaineer

For an even-handed discussion of Trump and religion, please see this thread.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org