Author Topic: Marco Rubio: No abortions for Zika-infected women  (Read 5959 times)

Offline libertybele

Marco Rubio: No abortions for Zika-infected women
« on: August 08, 2016, 02:12:15 am »
Marco Rubio: No abortions for Zika-infected women

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio does not believe a pregnant woman with the Zika virus should be able to get an abortion despite concerns about microcephaly and birth defects resulting from the virus, he said Saturday.

"I understand a lot of people disagree with my view - but I believe that all human life is worthy of protection of our laws," the senator and former 2016 hopeful said in an interview with Politico. "And when you present it in the context of Zika or any prenatal condition, it's a difficult question and a hard one. But if I'm going to err, I'm going to err on the side of life."

Florida, Rubio's home state, has been hardest hit in America thus far by the mosquito-borne disease that is known to cause severe microcephaly and other birth defects. It's also one of the first places where the virus has been transmitted locally, with 16 known cases in the Miami area. More than 1,800 cases have been reported in the U.S. thus far, largely from travel to foreign countries where the virus is prevalent.

Rubio acknowledged that Zika does pose a significant risk of birth defects, but said that does not affect his position on abortion.

"Obviously, microcephaly is a terrible prenatal condition that kids are born with. And when they are, it's a lifetime of difficulties," he said. "So I get it. I'm not pretending to you that that's an easy question you asked me. But I'm pro-life. And I'm strongly pro-life. I believe all human life should be protected by our law, irrespective of the circumstances or condition of that life."

Rubio's comments about Zika and abortion are consistent with his past positions on the issue: the Florida pol said during his presidential campaign that he opposes abortion even in the case of rape or incest. As for Zika, Rubio has voted for funding to combat the virus in Congress and was the first Republican to co-sponsor President Obama's proposed $1.9 billion Zika legislation...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marco-rubio-no-abortions-for-zika-infected-women/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Marco Rubio: No abortions for Zika-infected women
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 02:13:27 am »
He's not wrong. It's a slippery slope.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 02:13:37 am »
That is a decision that should be left to God, the doctor, and the woman involved.

Now let the flaming begin.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:17:00 am »
I'll give him credit for staying pro-life, but I sure would hate to have one of my female relatives or friends have to go through such a terrible tribulation. God bless and have mercy on them all.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:30 am »
I'll give him credit for staying pro-life, but I sure would hate to have one of my female relatives or friends have to go through such a terrible tribulation. God bless and have mercy on them all.

Marco Rubio just went up a notch in my book   I did not expect to agree with him on much...
God is still in control

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:12 am »
That is a decision that should be left to God, the doctor, and the woman involved.

Not flaming, just bringing up a discussion:

Last summer I was told I had uterin sarcoma based on a lymph node removed from my groin. The gyn onc insisted on a complete hysterectomy and 12 months of chemo. Because my cousin, most importantly my guardian angel, is a pathologist at Memorial-Sloan Kettering I questioned the results. Again, it's only because of her that I knew to question them. Seven months later, yes seven, I received my actual diagnosis. It wasn't a lymph node removed it was the primary. It wasn't uterine sarcoma it was epithelial. I didn't need chemo I simply needed a radical resection of the original biopsy.

Doctors are wrong. Before my radical resection a doc wanted to open me up abdomen to mid thigh and remove all lymph nodes reachable. I fired him like I did the hysterectomy doc. FYI, the docs are all world class b/c my cancer was literally one of a kind.

I wouldn't want a doc's opinion on my unborn. I say that as a moomy of three eight and under  ^-^
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline cornfed

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:23:12 am »
Why on earth did he feel the need to go here?  Just stupid to be sucked in to this kind of argument.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:23:28 am »
Microcephaly is not a death sentence. Although disabled is some ways, some have grown up with it to have fulfilling lives.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:28:53 am »
Microcephaly is not a death sentence. Although disabled is some ways, some have grown up with it to have fulfilling lives.

I admit, the only thing I know about is the new to me news reports.
All brought on by the Zima outbreak, to which I 've only seen babies on the news.
Is there a recovery rate that, admittedly, I am not aware of?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:30:48 am »
He's not wrong. It's a slippery slope.

It's the consistent pro-life position and I strongly agree with him.

Good for you, Marco.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:32:36 am »
I'm sure the eugenics love the Zika virus.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:34:32 am »
I admit, the only thing I know about is the new to me news reports.
All brought on by the Zima outbreak, to which I 've only seen babies on the news.
Is there a recovery rate that, admittedly, I am not aware of?

It isn't something you recover from, it is a birth defect where the head grows slower and thus restricts brain growth so it usually results in mental retardation. It isn't very common of a disorder. Survival is based on how capable of a support network the child has, like any mental disability, as they have challenges growing and taking care of themselves. Akin to Down Syndrome in that, with the right support network, someone with this condition can live a fulfilling life. It is obviously much more difficult in a third world country.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:37:52 am »
It isn't something you recover from, it is a birth defect where the head grows slower and thus restricts brain growth so it usually results in mental retardation. It isn't very common of a disorder. Survival is based on how capable of a support network the child has, like any mental disability, as they have challenges growing and taking care of themselves. Akin to Down Syndrome in that, with the right support network, someone with this condition can live a fulfilling life. It is obviously much more difficult in a third world country.

Thanks for the info. I admit, that I am ignorant of the complete facts here.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 02:41:55 am »
Much like every other excuse for abortion, Zika is a really lame excuse. The real solution is to roll back several liberal policies involving everything from chemical mosquito control to immigration control.
I stand with Roosgirl.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 03:11:21 am »
baby killing is immoral, period.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:14:51 am »
Not flaming, just bringing up a discussion:

Last summer I was told I had uterin sarcoma based on a lymph node removed from my groin. The gyn onc insisted on a complete hysterectomy and 12 months of chemo. Because my cousin, most importantly my guardian angel, is a pathologist at Memorial-Sloan Kettering I questioned the results. Again, it's only because of her that I knew to question them. Seven months later, yes seven, I received my actual diagnosis. It wasn't a lymph node removed it was the primary. It wasn't uterine sarcoma it was epithelial. I didn't need chemo I simply needed a radical resection of the original biopsy.

Doctors are wrong. Before my radical resection a doc wanted to open me up abdomen to mid thigh and remove all lymph nodes reachable. I fired him like I did the hysterectomy doc. FYI, the docs are all world class b/c my cancer was literally one of a kind.

I wouldn't want a doc's opinion on my unborn. I say that as a moomy of three eight and under  ^-^

I would say, first, that the situations are not really comparable, but I would also say that every woman should have the same approach you have to all procedures, and that they, not the doctor or anyone else, is in charge of making the decision.  Which is precisely what I was getting at.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 03:15:37 am »

I can agree.

:beer:

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 03:20:40 am »

Maybe so, but it isn't Caesar's (civil government's) place to enforce morality.  Divorce is immoral - let no man put asunder - but not only is it not illegal under most civil law, it is facilitated in many ways, such as no-fault divorce that requires nothing more than a simple filing with a court, and which can be granted even if the other spouse doesn't participate, so long as the filing spouse has lived in the state for a certain period of time.  The same goes for working on the sabbath.  We used to have all manner of so-called blue laws that enforced that religious rule; now, there are only a few remnants here and there.

Unless there is something that causes a breach of Caesar's peace, then the immorality of something is generally not a fit subject for Caesar's law.  That is for God's law, to be handled by God, not by man.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 03:45:50 am »

God's already spoken on the matter so no need to assuage the guilt-ridden conscience of the doctor and the women by throwing Him into the mix.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:43 am »
Why on earth did he feel the need to go here?  Just stupid to be sucked in to this kind of argument.

In case you've been away for the last 40 some odd years there is a movement in this country to contracept our sex, abort what gets through that gauntlet, then if born to turn them into homosexuals so they can grow up to kill the elderly. Anti-human sentiment is 'woven into our fabric' as one poster on another thread said. I respect Rubio for feeling the need to go there. Because it's all around us. Everyday. It's why ultimately the United States does not deserve to live.

And for those of you who bitch and moan about, "going there" and "unforced errors" and all that political crap are a big part of the problem. You are all cowards.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 03:58:45 am »
Maybe so, but it isn't Caesar's (civil government's) place to enforce morality.  Divorce is immoral - let no man put asunder - but not only is it not illegal under most civil law, it is facilitated in many ways, such as no-fault divorce that requires nothing more than a simple filing with a court, and which can be granted even if the other spouse doesn't participate, so long as the filing spouse has lived in the state for a certain period of time.  The same goes for working on the sabbath.  We used to have all manner of so-called blue laws that enforced that religious rule; now, there are only a few remnants here and there.

Unless there is something that causes a breach of Caesar's peace, then the immorality of something is generally not a fit subject for Caesar's law.  That is for God's law, to be handled by God, not by man.

What a series of insidious lies. That's the whole purpose of government to enforce the moral codes of a society. Don't try to hide behind legalisms to support the murder of unborn children and then act as if violence against the unborn doesn't, 'breach Caesar's peace'. What a pathological state of mind.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:22 am »
What a series of insidious lies. That's the whole purpose of government to enforce the moral codes of a society. Don't try to hide behind legalisms to support the murder of unborn children and then act as if violence against the unborn doesn't, 'breach Caesar's peace'. What a pathological state of mind.

I respectfully disagree.  And that was the whole point of the separation between Church and State in the Constitution.  I'm not hiding behind anything.  If morality - Christian morality in particular - is to be enforced by the civil government, then everything, including divorce, working on the sabbath, taking the Lord's name in vain, must all be enforced.  People complain when some muslims demand that blasphemy against Muhammed be prosecuted, and then turn around and make the same demands for their own religion.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:08:38 am »

What do you propose as a solution?

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 04:20:51 am »
Marco Rubio just went up a notch in my book   I did not expect to agree with him on much...

Oh I don't think he's going to be going off course  on conservative issues for a long time.  He'll run for pres.again and this time will have his conservative bona fides sewn up.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:22:22 am by Drewsmum »

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 04:25:17 am »
I respectfully disagree.  And that was the whole point of the separation between Church and State in the Constitution.  I'm not hiding behind anything.  If morality - Christian morality in particular - is to be enforced by the civil government, then everything, including divorce, working on the sabbath, taking the Lord's name in vain, must all be enforced.  People complain when some muslims demand that blasphemy against Muhammed be prosecuted, and then turn around and make the same demands for their own religion.

There is no separation of church and state in the constitution.