Author Topic: BREAKING>>>Hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people crashes in Texas  (Read 2396 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/30/hot-air-balloon-carrying-at-least-16-people-crashes-in-texas.html

- BREAKING NEWS -
CALDWELL COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE SAYS AT THIS TIME 'IT DOES NOT APPEAR' THAT THERE WERE ANY SURVIVORS IN TEXAS HOT AIR BALLOON CRASH

Published July 30, 2016 Associated Press

LOCKHART, Texas –  DEVELOPING-- Federal officials say a hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people caught on fire and crashed in Central Texas, and it is unclear whether there are injuries or deaths.

Lynn Lunsford with the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement that the accident happened about 7:40 a.m. Saturday near Lockhart, Texas, when the hot air balloon crashed into a pasture.

Lunsford said that the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are going to the scene to investigate.

Lockhart is about 30 miles south of Austin.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
16 is a lot; given the way hot air balloons are; I'd be wary of going up with so many people in the casual hot air ballooning festival. These crashes happen. I remember one in Albuquerque, home of the Hot Air Balloon Festival; I think that killed 4.  16 sure does seem to be a lot.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Press conference coming up at 12:45 CST- terrible story.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
A hot air balloon just caught fire in East Texas last week at the Great Texas Balloon Race. Luckily they came down and no one was hurt, this could have turned ugly quickly (note, this is not the one in the story, just an illustration how easily they catch fire).

Even though it does not require any sort of licensing like a pilots license, the expense of it still has kept it to some very serious pilots only, some dumb kid can't go pick one up and fly out of his back yard.

I personally love it. It is huge where I live, but I know when I go for a ride, even with an experienced pilot, there are a lot of factors that make it dangerous. (still probably safer than driving across town though).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:17:32 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

Here is the company that ran the balloon.
http://heartoftexasballoonrides.com/

An image of the gondola.

Their FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/heartoftexashotairballoonrides/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:19:26 pm by AbaraXas »

geronl

16 though! Very sad!

Offline Frank Cannon

16 people in a hot air balloon seems ill advised.

Offline ABX

16 people in a hot air balloon seems ill advised.

Some have very large gondolas that can hold 20 or more people safely. 10 passengers are pretty common in tourist balloons like this.

Offline LadyLiberty

8black day

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Condolences and prayers to the families of the dead...

Terrible way to go...I can't imagine the terror.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

What a terrible death. Prayers for all affected.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LadyLiberty

They aren't entirely sure, but think the number of lost lives could be 14.  There was a couple that missed their pickup to get to the balloon.

Offline mrclose

They aren't entirely sure, but think the number of lost lives could be 14.  There was a couple that missed their pickup to get to the balloon.

DPS confirms 16 dead in balloon crash near Lockhart

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/fatalities-confirmed-in-hot-air-balloon-crash-near/nr7Sd/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:11:05 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That's terrible!

Offline NavyCanDo

I don't believe this is the actual balloon either. Photos are showing it being  red white and blue with a big smiley face and appears largely undamaged lying flat on the ground. I hope to God these poor people did not burn alive in the gondola like others have.   I've seen a video of one posted once doing just that, and I can't get that horror out of my mind.

Prayers up for these people. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

The worse hot air balloon accident in US history I'm hearing and the worse one since 1993 when 6 were killed in Colorado. So, I'm under the impression, it's actually safe, this is a tragic exception.

The last severe crash, a balloon hit a power line in Virginia, I think that happened in the case I was familiar with.

— May 9, 2014: Three people died during an air balloon festival in Caroline County, Va., when their balloon struck a power line and burst into flames during a landing attempt.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/30/look-deadliest-hot-air-balloon-accidents/87778562/

There aren't that many of these incidences.

Sometimes, the balloons really line up; so this was a freak occurrence, I'm saddened for the victims of this tragedy.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Local story from Austin TV station KXAN.

From the article, what may be the last photo taken of the balloon before the crash:

https://lintvkxan.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/balloon-photo-new.jpg?w=651

Edit: Well, looks like they're blocking hotlinks... redid the link.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:55:03 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I think I'd rather have one of the single seater hot air balloons.

Offline TomSea

Daily Mail reports:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3716867/Was-hot-air-balloon-crashed-killed-16-overloaded-Eyewitness-says-concerned-number-people-board-saw-balloon-struggling-stay-afloat.html

Eyewitness says balloon may have struggled to stay afloat, investigators reporting it might have hit power lines, picture of balloon at link.

Better Business Bureau graded the hot air balloon company with a D+ rating per the article, I hate to hear that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:56:08 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: BREAKING>>>Hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people crashes in Texas
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 04:23:29 am »
This story has taken a turn for the worse.

They were talking about this on Nancy Grace but I didn't want to post it because it seemed kind of gossipy; but now I found a story about what they were talking about.  I don't approve of the headline saying the pilot killed the riders; at this point, it might be a bit premature or a rush to judgement. Though, there certainly are some strong questions.

'He couldn't drive a car but he could pilot a hot-air balloon': Pilot who killed 16 in fiery Texas balloon crash had been charged with DUI FOUR times, banned from driving and been to prison twice

The hot air balloon hit power lines and caught fire before crashing to the ground in Lockhart, Texas, on Saturday morning
    Pilot Alfred 'Skip' Nichols, 49, had been charged with drunk driving four times, was banned from driving a car and had been to prison twice
    He was convicted of a drug crime in 2000 and spent about a year and a half in prison before being paroled
    He was returned to prison in April 2010 after his parole was revoked because of his drunken driving conviction that year
     He was paroled again in January 2012
     Consumers were warned three times about his previous balloon firm based in St Louis and complaints had been made against his new company - Heart of Texas
    His roommate Alan Lirette insisted he was a 'great pilot'
    Victims include a woman and her mom celebrating Mother's Day and a newlywed couple, who shared photos from the balloon before the crash

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3717734/He-couldn-t-drive-car-pilot-hot-air-balloon-Pilot-killed-16-fiery-Texas-balloon-crash-charged-DUI-FOUR-times-banned-driving-prison-twice.html

I'd think if one knew this person's past and record, they would not ride with him though.

I once knew someone who went up in a vintage World War II plane at an airshow, that old plane crashed and he got killed. You have to be careful out there. They actually stopped having the airshow over that incident.