Author Topic: Huge, once-hated fish now seen as weapon against Asian carp (alligator gar)  (Read 776 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Tammy Webber
AP via Yahoo
July 29, 2016

It's a toothy giant that can grow longer than a horse and heavier than a refrigerator, a fearsome-looking prehistoric fish that plied U.S. waters from the Gulf of Mexico to Illinois until it disappeared from many states a half-century ago.

Persecuted by anglers and deprived of places to spawn, the alligator gar -- with a head that resembles an alligator and two rows of needlelike teeth -- survived primarily in southern states in the tributaries of the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico after being declared extinct in several states farther north. To many, it was a freak, a "trash fish" that threatened sportfish, something to be exterminated.

But the once-reviled predator is now being seen as a valuable fish in its own right, and as a potential weapon against a more threatening intruder: the invasive Asian carp, which have swum almost unchecked toward the Great Lakes, with little more than an electric barrier to keep them at bay. Efforts are now underway to reintroduce the alligator gar in the northern part of its old range.
More

Wikipedia article on the alligator gar

Oceander

That is an ugly fish!

Offline Just_Victor

That is an ugly fish!

They get better when they grow up....

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:17:08 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline WAC

Asian carp in Great Lakes.....

Lake Erie Asian Carp.....

Oceander

They get better when they grow up....

Holey smokes!!!