Author Topic: Investments  (Read 92030 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Investments
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »
Is this a reason to buy gold?
Money-market reforms set to make borrowing more costly
[Reuters]
September 22, 2016

By Shankar Ramakrishnan

NEW YORK, Sept 22 (IFR) - Money-market fund reforms that come into effect next month will further hike short-term bank borrowing costs, which have already risen sharply in recent months.

But analysts say financial institutions generally have done little to tweak how they fund their operations, preferring to wait and see how the October 14 changes shake up the market.

"Everybody seems to have resigned themselves to a possibility that they may have to pay slightly higher rates," said a senior money market analyst who asked not to be named.  ...  More

I just got a call from the place I"ve purchased gold in the past. They mentioned the Chinese yuan and a limit on money market withdrawals as a reason to buy gold (of course, they would call anything a reason to buy gold, I realize that!).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Idiot

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 05:47:10 pm »
Is this a reason to buy gold?
I just got a call from the place I"ve purchased gold in the past. They mentioned the Chinese yuan and a limit on money market withdrawals as a reason to buy gold (of course, they would call anything a reason to buy gold, I realize that!).
I hope they are right.  I have some silver that I'm hoping will increase in value before I die...lol.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2016, 06:16:46 pm »
GOLD

What to do? Buy or not?

To me, unless you have a large amount of FRN's that you wouldn't want to lose value in some big crash, I'd buy silver. If it does hit the fan, there might be enough of a local economy that there may be some money exchange instead of straight barter. There's property taxes to think of too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:48 pm »
Futures down huge last night when it became apparent that Trump was going to win. Today's market up almost 200 points at 11:30 CST- bios bounced back in relief that Hitlery won't destroy their business. Will it hold? I took some profit on a BMY swing trade yesterday. Would have made quite a bit more if I held- but happy to make $500.00.

Thoughts on the direction of the market?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2016, 05:48:54 pm »
@austingirl

We definitely live in interesting times!

I'm not sure what to make of the market activity as a whole this morning. I do have some targeted thoughts:

1. Look at healthcare as an industry. The signal that Obamacare will end will ultimately be good for the entire industry. I'd pay close attention to insurers.

2. Watch out for companies that rely heavily on foreign manufacturing, like car companies. The long-term prospect of moving jobs back onshore should mean increased labor costs. A trade war, with increased tariffs on goods like cars, might be a real problem, too.

3. I still think there is enough uncertainty to make metals and mining a viable investment. Especially if the globalists use a Trump presidency to finally "resolve" the sovereign debt crisis, which I suspect they may.

4. My initial reaction says to invest in defense stocks, but I would actually be cautious here when I really put thought into it. The defense industry makings billions on weapon programs that never fully materialize. If Trump really is a smart negotiator, he'll start putting performance clauses into these contracts.

5. Energy has to be a win now, right? Run from alternate energy like it's a fast zombie coming to eat your brain. Those subsidies should dry up.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »
Futures down huge last night when it became apparent that Trump was going to win. Today's market up almost 200 points at 11:30 CST- bios bounced back in relief that Hitlery won't destroy their business. Will it hold? I took some profit on a BMY swing trade yesterday. Would have made quite a bit more if I held- but happy to make $500.00.

Thoughts on the direction of the market?

IMO again just MO......  (within year)

Gold (up)  5-15%
G Bonds (down) 5-15%
C Bonds (down) 5-10%
Large Cap Equities (down) 1-5%  (i.e DJI and S & P)
Mid Cap "  (down) 5-10%
Small cap (down) 10-20%
Oil - + or - 10% either way
REITs- 5-10% Down
Foreign equity indices- (down) - 10-20%
Fed - 2, 25 basis point increases

Best bets-  Equites in predominate infrastructure plays.
Worst bets- Tech sector
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2016, 05:57:09 pm »
@bolobaby  @catfish1957

Thanks for the replies- good thoughts. I am watching and waiting. Some big moves today in infrastructure plays. Interesting times indeed.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2016, 08:19:10 pm »
@austingirl

One additional note - today's activity broke the technical concerns for significant downside - at least for now. The indicators now point to upside.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline austingirl

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2016, 11:51:49 pm »
@austingirl

One additional note - today's activity broke the technical concerns for significant downside - at least for now. The indicators now point to upside.

I have a lot of dry powder-80% cash- will shop judiciously. ^-^

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2016, 01:50:36 am »
Whew!

My IRA's remain safe for the time being!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 06:38:50 am »
Just FYI everybody, the great market crash of November 2016 predicted by the media, because Trump got elected, is over after a few hours. Luckily nobody jumped.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 07:03:53 am »
I have a lot of dry powder-80% cash- will shop judiciously. ^-^

Looking at some election results around the country, I would go long this....

Offline DB

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 07:18:02 am »
@austingirl

We definitely live in interesting times!

I'm not sure what to make of the market activity as a whole this morning. I do have some targeted thoughts:

1. Look at healthcare as an industry. The signal that Obamacare will end will ultimately be good for the entire industry. I'd pay close attention to insurers.

2. Watch out for companies that rely heavily on foreign manufacturing, like car companies. The long-term prospect of moving jobs back onshore should mean increased labor costs. A trade war, with increased tariffs on goods like cars, might be a real problem, too.

3. I still think there is enough uncertainty to make metals and mining a viable investment. Especially if the globalists use a Trump presidency to finally "resolve" the sovereign debt crisis, which I suspect they may.

4. My initial reaction says to invest in defense stocks, but I would actually be cautious here when I really put thought into it. The defense industry makings billions on weapon programs that never fully materialize. If Trump really is a smart negotiator, he'll start putting performance clauses into these contracts.

5. Energy has to be a win now, right? Run from alternate energy like it's a fast zombie coming to eat your brain. Those subsidies should dry up.

It is exporters who will be destroyed in a trade war. The vast majority of the products my company manufactures is exported overseas.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:13 am »
Bookmarking.

Need coffee. This is a fascinating thread.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline austingirl

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 02:45:20 pm »
@bolobaby
"I still think there is enough uncertainty to make metals and mining a viable investment. Especially if the globalists use a Trump presidency to finally "resolve" the sovereign debt crisis, which I suspect they may."

This is a real concern.

DOW at all time high this morning. Watching Fox Business and several interesting things. Prison stocks are up because Hitlery wanted to shut down private prisons and now they won't be run out of business. Apple Amazon, Facebook down slightly. Defense stocks, infrastructure  and health insurers up again today. Some pundits unsure whether this Trump rally will continue due to the many economic issues.

Will there be a Santa Claus rally this year? Macy's and Kohls up today. There will be year end tax selling as there is every year. I well remember how the market dropped steeply last January.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 02:46:19 pm »

Will we go from "Prozac Nation" to "Pot Nation?"

Offline Idiot

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2016, 03:26:16 pm »

If you are seriously thinking about investing in this sector, you might consider AERO.  Not a direct link, but it seems they are headed that direction.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2016, 03:33:03 pm »
I throw some dollars into a 401k fund. Try to invest in emerging markets, precious metals (as a hedge), small cap stocks, etc.

It has paid off fairly well. Hope Trump doesn't destroy everything with a trade war.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:09:20 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline austingirl

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
Moody's report about tech supply issues sent Apple, FB and Amazon to the woodshed. All uberliberal  CEOs. I do not own.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2016, 04:48:13 pm »
If you are seriously thinking about investing in this sector, you might consider AERO.  Not a direct link, but it seems they are headed that direction.

In that sector, and if I was younger, I'd invest in Pizza delivery places like Pizza Hut and Papa Johns in Pot towns that border non-Pot states.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »
In that sector, and if I was younger, I'd invest in Pizza delivery places like Pizza Hut and Papa Johns in Pot towns that border non-Pot states.
:bigsilly: :bigsilly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »

And don't forget Pepsi! They make Doritos and Frito-Lays.

Jonesin' for some Doritos after my fatty myan!
The Republic is lost.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
I bought three CRSPR based gene-editing stocks. I'm getting more and more convinced that this technology is a 10x technology, maybe more. I went with a basket of stocks rather than a single one because one is likely to emerge when the others get bought and/or fail.

The three I invested in are:

NTLA
EDIT
CRSP

I put a good chunk in each and will likely reinvest more in one of them when I see some traction.

Expect volatility. This is new tech and - although promising - is yet unproven. This could see some wild swings (like 50% losses) before going on a 10x run.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »
Are semis recovering? Could bode well for an economic recovery. MU and AMD rocking.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
@austingirl

Yeah, both NVDA and AMD are on my watch list and up 30%+ from 50 day MA. Unfortunately, I sort of crawled back into the market a bit too slow and missed those moves.

SWKS may be my place to buy back in. I sold if off when I got out pre-election and it is only up ~2.5% from the 50 day MA, so it may have some space to move. Unfortunately, it also relies somewhat heavily on AAPL and I've seen some negative press on that lately. So, I'm waiting since they will likely put price pressure on their supply chain.

My current holdings look like this:

NTLA
EDIT
CRSP
(CRSPR gene editing plays)

SSYS
(3d printing play. I jumped back on this one just before earnings and that turned out to be a mistake. Took a hit, but I'm still confident in the technology. In fact, I used my 3d printer to make animatronic eyeballs for a 20 foot tall marionette for the city's Thanksgiving Day parade.)

HIIQ
(Insurance play - sort of. They offer unique insurance options and I think they will do well regardless of how Obamacare turns out. In fact, they are 74.4% above their 50 day MA and I'm still holding on for more. Muwhahaha.)

GNW
(Financial play from earlier this year that I am back in. It dropped recently nearly 20%, although it has recovered a bit. It's 4.15% off the 50 day MA, but 13.34% up from the 200 day MA, so the long term trend is up. I expect this to go back over $5/share.)

ZNGA
(I bought this damn thing again. This stock makes no sense to me. Something HAS to happen with it at some point. Frankly, I'm half-expecting it to be bought now, but it's balance sheet is too strong for an easy acquisition. Still, it's not making money like it should, so maybe it can piggyback on some VR stuff to finally get a breakout hit.)

CCJ
(Uranium mining. Reactors in Japan will be coming back online soon, or already have. Additionally, if we get a real space push, reactor based energy will be a key component. I'm hold this one for a while.)

GILD
(Never sold this one. It's doing diddly-squat, but everyone knows the story here. I'm actually down 5% on my initial investment. Still, it's cheap, it's margins are strong, and you know that - in a Trump world - any M&A will flow through on greased wheels. I hope.)

GM
(Never sold, still holding. This has proven a good buy thus far at +7.4% from my buy point. More to come as the auto sector reinvigorates.)

GD
(Never sold, still holding. This was a good defense pick and still sound. +17% from my buy point. Looking for more. Hoping to see some faster, smarter modernization in the new Trump armed forces. We'll see.)

Physical Silver
(Will probably never release this position unless there is a sudden spike over $100, heh. It's just a hedge against certain conditions.)
1. Trump is never wrong.